Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I missing something? General Sleeve vs. Bypass questions

I did a search on here in case this was asked before but I couldn't find anything... Can anyone tell me the benefits of having gastric vs the sleeve? Or, vice-versa?

Here's why I'm asking. In my nutrition class, I was the ONLY person opting to have the sleeve, everyone else in the class was having bypass surgery. Some ladies looked at me in horror and I thought "Am I missing something?" To each their own, OF COURSE, but why do some people choose the bypass over the sleeve?

I like the sleeve option because it doesn't involve the re-routing of your digestive system and there isn't malnutrition issues. I know the weight loss can be slower because the "pouch" is bigger than the "egg-sized pouch" of gastric bypass.... I'm wondering if people think you're more likely to stretch out the stomach if the pouch is bigger?

Someone, please educate me :) Please and Thank you!

-Katie

Your reasons are some of the same reasons I chose the sleeve. I didn't want to have top deal with rerouting issues or malabsorbtion or dumping issues. I wanted to have the option to eat whatever I wanted even though I won't do that all the time. And I thought a 4-6oz stomach was alright. To me, there are too meant possible complications associated with the bypass. Most people at my doctor's office have the sleeve. It is less invasive. That's also a big plus for me. And I'm 3 wks out and have lay over 30 pounds already so the weight loss is fine to me. I didn't weigh as much going in as some others and their weight loss has been significant too, with the sleeve. 50 and 70 pounds. So go with your gut. The sleeve to me is much better overall than the bypass, complication-wise

Thanks for weighing in, I really appreciate it. I guess I was just so convinced I was missing something....

Maybe people in my area opt more for the bypass only because it's what they are most familiar with?

-K

I'm no expert, but here are some of my considerations when choosing the sleeve. (I haven't included any thoughts about the lap-band, because you didn't mention that as one of your choices.)

• Both are non-reversible procedures.
  • Both procedures are being shown to have roughly the same long-term success rates.
  • Bypass tends to be for those who need a larger, quicker weight loss.
  • Bypass tends to be for those who have severe co-morbidities because it can resolve them more quickly.
    • My diabetes was under control within two weeks of my sleeving. I was able to go off of insulin and pills at that time, and my blood sugar levels have remained well within the normal range.
    • Also, within two or three weeks I was able to give up my CPAP machine. My wife reported that I had stopped snoring, and I only wake up once or twice a night to get rid of some of my 64+ ounces of daily Fluid.
  • My understanding was that the "pouch" that is formed for the bypass is made out of the elastic portion of the stomach -- so I worried that I could stretch it out.
  • My understanding was that the portion of the stomach remaining after sleeve surgery is the non-elastic portion of the stomach. That appealed to me.
  • Both are mal-absorptive, but the bypass is much more so. That worried me about future nutritional imbalances.
  • I "only" had 110 pounds to lose, much like you, so the sleeve seemed right for that.

As I said, I'm no expert, but from what I read the sleeve seemed the best path for me. I'm very happy with my choice and wish you good luck with yours!

Wow, thank you for your info! Yes, I'm definitely leaning towards the sleeve as well. I'm so glad to hear you've done so well with it!

sleeve option doesn't involve the re-routing of your digestive system

@@KatieD6982

the main issue for me is the malabsorption problem

i take epilepsy medication 2x a day

my meds MUST be completely absorped in my stomach

can't risk any possible problems

i would be a seizure waiting to happen :(

I think the sleeve is the only way to go

but............2.5 years PO - GOAL - i'm a little biased :)

good luck with your decision

kathy

I chose the sleeve because I was not interested in a plumbing re-route. I didn't like the mal-absorption issues many people have with the bypass. I was not interested in possibly dumping (though, some sleevers dump, I do not). I found that my diabetes was in check as soon as I was home from the hospital. No more medications for that. No more waking up in the middle of the night to pee because my sugar levels are high. I like that I can have everything I like, but in much smaller quantities. So if I am out and about socially I can have a sliver of cake without getting sick.

I'm 4.5 months out. From my high weight I'm down over 100lbs. Since the surgery I'm down about 80lbs. I wear a size 14/16 top now, down from a 22/24. Pants are an 18 down from a 26 or 28. Whichever surgery you choose will be the right one for you. But I have zero regrets about having the sleeve at all. It was absolutely the surgery I needed for me.

I am not any kind of expert but I liked the reasoning my doctor had to the bypass vs. sleeve discussion. His take is that he sleeve has far fewer complications - both for the surgeon and the patient. A sleeve can later be converted to a bypass if needed. (In fact, many doctors do a sleeve for the super big folks because it will help them lose weight and make the bypass operation less of a risk.) The fewer things that have to change (rerouting your insides) makes recovery faster and more likely to have a positive outcome. In his experiance, his sleeve patients have as good or better results than the bypass ones.

I also agree with everyone else. You need to do what is comfortable for you. I'm in engineering and we are an anal lot. I research stuff to death before I make decisions - especially big ones like WLS.

I love when fat judges fat. The obese women in that nutrition class ought to be confident in the decision that they've made, to respect you enough for the decision that you've made regarding your life and health. It irritates me when people all of a sudden become experts. If you are obese and sitting in any class regarding bariatrics, you are not an expert, so please have several seats. If you had all the answers, you wouldn't be fat and in a class getting help for being fat. Please sit back, chill out, and respect other people's decisions.

Edited by BitterSweet*

To the OP:

I think you've got your research straight and your head on straight about this.

I would not have chosen the bypass route for myself. I started at 235 pounds and am 5'5". Didn't want or need lifelong malabsorption, anemia, potential reactive hypoglycemia, or more potential complications.

Go for the sleeve.

Only one little caveat -- is everyone but you in your neighborhood getting a bypass because the local surgeon has a lot more bypass surgery experience and not so much sleeve experience? If that's the case, I'd be a little nervous. What you want is a surgeon who has beaucoups experience and success doing the surgery YOU will have. Just a thought.

Good thought about the surgeon. We have to travel to a larger hospital about an hour away for our surgeries and they are rated the best of the best in bariatric surgery and have done many MANY bypass surgeries and sleeve surgeries. But, good point, I didn't even think of that as being an option.

I truly think most people don't understand what the sleeve is. I'm wondering if they think it's like the lap-band.

Thanks EVERYONE!!!

Rosie O'Donnell's return to "The View" and her 50-pound loss with VSG surgery is going to educate a lot of people very fast.