Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not losing enough weight

My sleeve was on July 31. I lost 14lbs the first two weeks, and in a month (from Aug. 14 to Sept. 16) I only lost 5lbs.

I started the fase 4 as recommended by the nutritionist on August 15. The thing is that the first 2 weeks I was unable to eat all the food, I was barely eating and I was stock in the same weight for 2-3 weeks.

Now I eat a lil bit more but still under the 800 calories recommended. I do see my body changing, but the scale is not moving! I was supposed to loose at least 10 lbs.

I was doing exercise and she recommended not to exercise until I'm eating all the 800cals and start losing weight. Bummer...

Is there anyone out there that has experienced this? How did you manage it?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds to me like you aren't eating enough calories. Your nutritionist is absolutely right that you shouldn't be exercising (beyond getting lots of walking in) until you are eating enough calories to support the exercise. If you aren't eating enough calories and are burning too many calories, you will stop losing weight altogether. Try to get more food in. I know it's hard.

PS: There's no such thing as not losing enough weight. Everyone goes through this journey with ups and downs and everyone's body handles it differently. The scale is trending downward, yes? If so, then you are losing weight and that's what matters. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon.

Edited by JamieLogical

I was reading a book about hiking Mount Everest...and one of the chapters was titled "go backwards to go forward". On Everest this refers to the fact that they hike from base camp to camp 1, then back to base camp, then back to camp one, on to camp two, all the way back to base camp....you get the picture. I thought at the time, how frustrating that would be if you didn't really understand why...the body has to acclimate to the altitude...you can't go straight to the top or you wont make it out alive because the blood isn't capable of delivering the oxygen you need.

So, what does this have to do with your situation? It seems like you are trying to fight your body instead of working with it. Take a breath, listen to your NUT (what seems like a step backwards) so that you can go forward stronger. The weight will do what it is going to do all YOU can control is following the plan and listening to the expert advice being given. You will get to the top of the mountain :D

I agree with the previous posters. I think sometimes we get so caught up in what the NUT or the surgeons expect us to lose and it drives us crazy when we don't get there. As long as you are gong down it is a good thing. Some people do not reach their goal weight until 1 or 2 years out. My surgeon wants me to be 150 pounds. Being African American and with my shape, I will look sickly.lol

@@motherof5 @@4me4them @@JamieLogical You guys are right. This is a long journey that I just started. Thanks! ^_^

@@motherof5 @@4me4them @@JamieLogical You guys are right. This is a long journey that I just started. Thanks! ^_^

It really is. I was sleeved on August 26th and I haven't put a dent in towards my goal weight, lol. I am still learning my new tummy. What it likes and dislikes.

You have to be patient with your body. You have lost 51lbs in less than 3 months which is amazing!! The reality is we are all different and the pace at which we lose will be different. There is no exact science dictating how much each of us must lose within a set timeframe. The only true measure is that you gradually lose weight and move from being morbidly obese to a healthy weight :-) Keep your chin up and continue with the great job so far.

I was sleeved July 24th and have lost 21lbs since surgery which is frustrating, but my doctor said 2lbs a week is perfect. Have you tried tracking your calories and adding in the gym? That finally broke my recent stall because I realized that I wasn't getting enough calories. Tracking in your head isn't as good as actually recording it in an app.

I do track my food intake with My Fitness Pal, I'm not eating enough calories, I get full fast, even that I chew a lot and I do take my time to eat. I don't get hungry only if I'm more than 3 hours without eating. Today I'm putting a lot of effort to eat it all LOL Let's do it

@@JamieLogical @@4me4them @@motherof5 @@QueenA @@Mellyb251 Hey guys just wanted to update this post. This week I've been eating the whole 800cals and have lost 5 pounds!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I was reading a book about hiking Mount Everest...and one of the chapters was titled "go backwards to go forward". On Everest this refers to the fact that they hike from base camp to camp 1, then back to base camp, then back to camp one, on to camp two, all the way back to base camp....you get the picture. I thought at the time, how frustrating that would be if you didn't really understand why...the body has to acclimate to the altitude...you can't go straight to the top or you wont make it out alive because the blood isn't capable of delivering the oxygen you need.

So, what does this have to do with your situation? It seems like you are trying to fight your body instead of working with it. Take a breath, listen to your NUT (what seems like a step backwards) so that you can go forward stronger. The weight will do what it is going to do all YOU can control is following the plan and listening to the expert advice being given. You will get to the top of the mountain :D

What a great metaphor!

You may have been in the grips of an extended version of "The Dreaded Week-3 Stall". It's perfectly normal and just about all of us have suffered through it. You're not crazy, and your doctor didn't screw up. In fact, you might not lose any weight for two weeks or more. But don't worry -- after that, the weight will start falling off if you stick to your program. If you're interested, here's a good article that explains why it happens and why we all have to go through it. Hang in there. Pretty soon it'll be in the rear-view mirror and you'll be dropping weight like crazy!

I would think your body is in shock to some extent, because of the low calorie intake, so its normal reaction would be to go into "starvation mode" and conserve energy. You need to eat all of your calories and especially once you are exercising. The weight will drop again. Have faith!

Edited by DizzyLizzie

OMG OMG OMG :D So happy for you....way to hang in there!

@@JamieLogical @@4me4them @@motherof5 @@QueenA @@Mellyb251 Hey guys just wanted to update this post. This week I've been eating the whole 800cals and have lost 5 pounds!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

That's awesome. Thanks for keeping us posted. I love to hear the good news. You are not too far from Onerland, YES!