Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My insurance came through in record time and I've been approved after 'only' 12 agonizing days of waiting. Ever since I got the email this afternoon, I've been anxious. I guess it comes with the territory. It's a major surgery and my life is definitely going to change. It's not just this idea or thing that may or may not happen after I jump through several dozen hoops. The hoops have been cleared and I AM getting the surgery.

It's the only thing I've thought about for the last year. So why am I freaking out?

It ridiculous really. I know this is what I want and what I need but now that it's set in stone (not exactly - I still don't have a date) I'm just terrified. It comes in waves of excitement and then terror and then elation followed by doubt. I'm not getting cold feet - that's not what this is about. It's just me working out in my head that I'm getting a really drastic surgery that I'm excited but realistically cautious about.

You kind of have to go into one of this kind of surgery with the idea that something bad could happen, right? Did anyone else feel this way?

I'm going through the same feelings . I am a single mom so I worry about what ifs??

Yes, not to worry, I think would be the aberration. It's super scary. I'm going to give myself a stomach ulcer before surgery. But I have come to terms with it through an analogy. In sailing one of the golden rules is: abandon ship only when you are stepping up to the dingy. In other words, the boat you are in is sinking and the dingy is actually the higher and safer option. With our weight 263, 278 and 265 our boat is sinking. Our heart and all the systems in our body are being taxed in ways that result in a significant loss of quality of life and life expectancy. It is then with the courage of a lone sailor, in the middle of the ocean, that we choose to step up to the dingy. We choose life! Should we look back at our sinking old boat with nostalgia for the once beautiful vessel that it was, absolutely. But it no longer is, what will keep us safe.

Let's rock in our dingy!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches