Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling discouraged after weight gain

I'm 4 months post op, I've lost 50 pounds so far, but this past week I gained 5 pounds! Why!?! Why has it happened? Feeling super discouraged. Is this the end of my weight loss? Has this happened to other people?

Please don't get discouraged.

Of course I don't have any experience with the lap-band, so forgive any assumptions, but when was the last time you were in to check your fill level?

You may need just a little more in your band which would jump start the loss again.

Since this is the Gastric Bypass side of the forum, you're likely to get a bunch of uninformed answers here, but I don't think a 5 pound slide means you're done losing. It sounds to me more like a stall/plateau or whatever you want to call it.

Stick with your nutrition program, change up your exercise routine a bit and hang in there. It will resume at some point.

Any chance you're dropping inches while not dropping pounds? I know each time I have hit a stall for more than a few days I have had to prepare myself for some new clothes as it usually means I'm losing in other ways.

This is part of the journey. We all go through it. It is why weight loss surgery is NOT easy. In my journey I found that often times I would stall or gain a few pounds right before a big loss. I believe that these are the times that staying on plan matter the most. It is as if your body does not want to let go of the weight. Sometimes you will see a change in your clothing during this time. I also think that increasing your Water intake does help.

This is not a journey for a quitter! To be successful you must keep your determination and persevere. I have lost 208 pounds since April, 2013. My surgery was in June, 2013. I have reached my goal and am currently working on maintenance. So far I am succeeding, but it also is not easy. This is a life time commitment, but it can be done!

Carol

Thanks all! I do have gastric bypass. I'm a revision. I just don't know how to change that on here. Lol

Good to know.

If you're on a mobile device I don't think you can change it from there. But if you're on the website from a computer, click the cog wheel next to your name at the top right of the page and select "My Surgery" from the dropdown. It'll let you modify your settings.

But given this new tidbit, obviously you can ignore my thoughts about getting an additional fill.

First thing would be to make sure you're getting adequate fluids and Protein. Both have been key for my continued success and I know those times where I wasn't able to do one or the other it really affected my scale progress.

Beyond that, make sure you're following your program exactly as it has been presented to you. We all get different recommendations (3 meals vs 5), (snacking ok vs never snacking), (what foods are ok etc...), but adherence seems to be a very big factor.

And of course there is always varying the exercise. When your body gets used to the same routine over and over it stops to be as effective. If you've been running, maybe try swimming. If you've been biking, maybe try hiking. Just something to shake it up and get things going again.