Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To carb or not to carb

I'm new to these forums, but I've done quite a bit of reading regarding post-op diets. My understanding from my NUT, and my surgeon is that the post-op diet is not intended to be "low carb." That is very clearly stated in my educational paperwork. However, so many threads seem to just freak out over eating ANY carbs...even claiming to gain x amount of pounds from eating a cracker, or stalling for weeks because they drank a glass of wine. Quite frankly, it starts to read like a pro-ana website sometimes! I thought this surgery was not only a tool to help us loss weight, but also to help us develop a healthy relationship with food. By all means, eat HEALTHY, eat CLEAN, eat WHOLE FOODS. These include complex carbs found in veggies, fruit, and whole grains. Now, I admit I'm only 2 weeks out of surgery, so maybe my views will change, but I do not believe that we should punish ourselves. Learn moderation, not abstinence!

I agree with you. It's a life long journey and it should be moderation not abstinence. I occasionally enjoy a glass of wine, or a slice of pizza (oh no!) it's just real life and I want to re learn my eating habits and not restrict any one food that I might have enjoyed pre surgery. I'm only 1 month post surgery so I am still learning about the band and how to live with it.

I don't subscribe to the carbs are evil mantra...There are good carbs (low glycemic fruits and veggies) and bad carbs (sweets, processed foods, etc.)

I don't shun all carbs - I need some good-quality carbs to feel good and keep my body running efficiently. Early on I started to limit my carbs to about 20-25 and I had really low energy. Once I started adding more carbs in (adding berries to my shakes, refried Beans, broccoli, cauliflower, etc), I instantly felt better. I exercise a lot - some days 2-3 hours total. You need carbs to move your body that much. A Protein bar that has some carbs is perfect before a long workout - you feel full and you get the added benefit of the quick energy from the carbs.

I think you need to find your sweet spot - do what works for you!

I don't eat grains, whole or refined. Not that i think i will gain weight from the carbs in them, i don't eat them because they are hight on the GI index and low when it comes to nutrient valley. We are restricted to the amount that we eat, so i would rather fill up on more nutritious foods. As far as carbs go, my sources of carbs are from vegetables and if i'm craving sweets, i eat a fruit instead of something loaded with refined sugar. Did you mean carbs like that?

I agree ... this isn't a high Protein, low carb diet like Atkins or some of the other diets that eschew most carbs.

I plan to eat plenty of carbs during the rest of my life -- the ones with good nutrients like veggies, healthy grains, Beans, fruits, dairy products (which have a lot of carbs), nuts (which have carbs), things like that.

Months from now, I surely will indulge in a bite or two of good Desserts very occasionally.

I will surely drink a glass of wine from time to time.

But I won't be living on the planet of Pasta, eating all the bread in the basket, or sucking down sugar.

It’s a tricky question because carbohydrates are in so many things: fruits, veggies, dairy, Beans, grains, oatmeal, etc.

Rather than worrying about a daily total, I would try to keep the carbohydrates from grain products (cereals, crackers, chips, potatoes, etc) between 30-60 grams daily.

As far as fruit 2-3 servings/day is recommended (30-45 grams carb)

Dairy- 2-3 servings/day (24-36 grams carb)

This gives you a grand total of 90-140 carbs per day. 60 grams total is not enough to allow good carbs, so I would definitely say to aim for more than that. Also remember that “fiber” is technically a “carbohydrate” but actually produces no calories so they can always be subtracted.

By the way Whole Foods sucks.:)

I don't eat grains, whole or refined. Not that i think i will gain weight from the carbs in them, i don't eat them because they are hight on the GI index and low when it comes to nutrient valley. We are restricted to the amount that we eat, so i would rather fill up on more nutritious foods. As far as carbs go, my sources of carbs are from vegetables and if i'm craving sweets, i eat a fruit instead of something loaded with refined sugar. Did you mean carbs like that?

Really I mean any carbs...But especially the "healthy" carbs found in fruit and whole grain. High glycemic index doesn't necessarily mean low in nutritional value...bananas have a super high GI, but are generally considered healthy. GI is only a measure of how much and how quickly that food impacts your blood glucose.

It’s a tricky question because carbohydrates are in so many things: fruits, veggies, dairy, Beans, grains, oatmeal, etc.

Rather than worrying about a daily total, I would try to keep the carbohydrates from grain products (cereals, crackers, chips, potatoes, etc) between 30-60 grams daily.

As far as fruit 2-3 servings/day is recommended (30-45 grams carb)

Dairy- 2-3 servings/day (24-36 grams carb)

This gives you a grand total of 90-140 carbs per day. 60 grams total is not enough to allow good carbs, so I would definitely say to aim for more than that. Also remember that “fiber” is technically a “carbohydrate” but actually produces no calories so they can always be subtracted.

By the way Whole Foods sucks.:)

I meant whole foods, not Whole Foods...I much prefer Sprouts :-)

I limit REFINED carbohydrates. I partake in them occasionally, but only occasionally. When I know my downfall (or drug of choice) after 50+ years, and I keep it around my house, I am only setting myself up for failure. If I eat a refined carbohydrate out at a party or restaurant, I know I can't spiral into a CARB COMA bc I don't have it in the house...... at all!

@@McButterpants I'm 2 months out tomorrow and using 16 ozs of fat free milk to make my shakes daily. It's the only way I can get the recommended amount of Protein. I'm not consuming any other carbs besides whats in the milk, which is a lot. I tried Almond milk and could not stomach it. I use unflavored Protein in the skim milk. While skin milk is on my plan, I would like to know what others think about dairy and how it affects weight loss.Thanks

I don't have a problem with carbs. In fact, I love them and wish I could eat them more. The thing is, I eat Protein first like I'm supposed to. After that, I don't have much room left for anything else.

@@McButterpants I'm 2 months out tomorrow and using 16 ozs of fat free milk to make my shakes daily. It's the only way I can get the recommended amount of Protein. I'm not consuming any other carbs besides whats in the milk, which is a lot. I tried Almond milk and could not stomach it. I use unflavored Protein in the skim milk. While skin milk is on my plan, I would like to know what others think about dairy and how it affects weight loss.Thanks

@@finediva,

At 2 months, I did the same thing adding milk to my Protein drinks. You need that protein so you don't lose lean muscle mass - lean muscle mass helps you burn calories. In my opinion, it's worth it.

Right now, I mix my Protein Drinks (yes, at 10 months I still have at least one shake a day) with 4 ounces of vanilla almond milk and 4 ounces of milk or sometimes Water. In the mornings before hot yoga, I'll use coconut milk because it has electrolytes that I need because of the exercise.

You have to find what works for you - some people will look at the carbs in coconut milk and say I shouldn't drink it because of the carbs - it works for me because of the exercise I do. Some people don't like almond milk either. You have to find your balance.

I'm curious, why do you use unflavored protein mix? Were you not able to find a flavored one that worked for you?

@McButterpants. Thanks so much for the response. My pre op two week diet required I drank Bariatric Advantage shakes. I did the vanilla and was fine with it. After surgery I now have no tolerance for sugar or the sweetness of the shakes. I actually enjoy the unflavored Protein in the skim milk. Strange, right? I'm glad that you say you still drink a shake. The shakes are the only way I'm able to meet my protein goal. I'm two months today, no weight loss in two weeks, but I'm mostly happy about my decision.

I am ten months out and I eat carbs. There are days where my diet has more carbs than Protein but I do not see a difference on the scale. You need carbs in your diet to help survive and have a healthy brain. I do limit my carb intake on process foods. I try not to eat a lot of processed foods. I love to cook! Like last night I made homemade polenta with shredded chicken with homemade marina sauce. Everybody's diet on here is different even though we had the same surgery. Its all how we changed our diet to make ourselves healthy.

My dietician has directed me to eat my Protein first then if I have room to eat vegetables. I rarely have room. When we were discussing post op diet I told her I was well versed on low carb diets Atkins and South Beach. My one cheat is a margarita once a week since I can have beer anymore. I don't even want sweets or junk anymore. Eating is a chore now...for which I'm thankful.