Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

YOU MAY NOT NEED THE GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY! PLEASE READ!

hey guys and girls

just a heads up. I got a gastric bypass recently that i did not need to have. thats right you read that right i did NOT need the surgery. I have an underactive thyroid gland which can cause pcos , irregular menstrual cycles , ALOT OF WEIGHT GAIN ,very bad mood swings , feeling of depression that never goes away and many more other things.

My doctors never thought about checking my Thyroid gland with the TSH , free T3 & free T4 test to rule it out before giving me the surgery or even thinking about the surgery.

I did ask my doctors every chance i got if there is an alternative treatments and they just said flat out no. and now a few months later i find out from my GP that i have a underactive thyroid gland and i didn't have to have the surgery.

Underactive Thyroid gland means that your thyroid is not producing the hormones needed in your body and the rest of your hormones you have are all messed up.

PLEASE GUYS AND GIRLS BEFORE EVEN THINKING ABOUT SURGERY DEMAND TO YOUR DOCTORS TO GET THE TSH , FREE T3 AND THE FREE T4 TESTS DONE!

you may not need a gastric bypass!

Wow. That seems terrible that your medical staff wouldn't have checked your thyroid. I know mine has been tested every year for decades as part of my routine physicals, so why they would opt not to test yours is baffling.

My insurance company required one and required it to be within the normal range either with or without medication.

Your TSH is something that is a routine test that is done with all your regular labs. I was thought to have hypo thyroid because my tsh was a little high and I had the classic symptoms. Let me tell you this, the medicine the Dr. gave me called levothyroxine was the worse meds I could have ever taken. It makes you gain weight terribly. Rashes on face,hairloss, isomnia (severe) and hot feeling all over our head. I am on the road for a bypass and even if you have a tyroid condition don't let that stop you from your surgery. The meds you get for the thyroid won't make you lose weight even if they regulate your thyroid. You may gain because of the meds. I have spoken to so many patients who gained weight and had bad side affects from those meds. Other people I spoke to had the by pass and their levels stabilized and got better. Those of us that have metabolic syndrome like I do or Diabetes like I do will run the risk of a slow thyroid because that is the natural corse of things when our bodies are fighting to stay alive in an obese state. So please, do not do what I did, become afraid and post pone the surgery or cancel it because you think you don't need it or some miracle thyroid pill willfis your issues and make you suddenly stop gaining weight or thin. Chances are if you are here, you need ths surgery. I needed and wanted this surgery for many years and would come on herer to read horror stories that scared me away. I regret that and will listen to facts and people who have been there done that. So go forward and stay positive. Our Thyroid is not our only problem and will not solve the bigger issues at hand. Good Luck.

As a person who has been on Thyroid medications for years ( levothyroxine) I can tell you that it didn't make a bit of difference in weight loss. I take my pill like clockwork, had dieted constantly but would only drop a pound or two then gain right back. In the 6 weeks since having GBP I have dropped 26lbs. Pretty much eating same type of diet I was prior to the surgery (except during the liquid/mushy/soft stages as required). Diet consists of lean Proteins, salads (once I get to that stage) and the other "healthy" foods that have always been the standard for anyone on a diet. Having a slow thyroid is not something that can be cured by surgery - you will have it all your life. Unfortunately people think that as soon as they are medicated that the weight will just start dripping off - THAT IS NOT THE CASE. You need to take your meds, but don't depend on them to be the diet pill you are dreaming about.

So saying that you don't need to have surgery because you have hypothyroidism is a false statement and one your doctor should explain more clearly to you. You shouldn't regret your GBOP surgery because it is going to do what no other pill can. Keeping the weight off may be easier once your levels are controlled, but it will still be up to you to keep that weight off.

Agree too. I've been on thyroxine for 22+ years also a T1 diabetic for the same and my weight still kept going up. When I went for my first app with the bariatric surgeon he asked (why haven't any of my doctors suggested this operation). Not one doctor suggested me getting a gastric bypass until I had hormone problems due to my weight and diabeties.

As a person who has been on Thyroid medications for years ( levothyroxine) I can tell you that it didn't make a bit of difference in weight loss. I take my pill like clockwork, had dieted constantly but would only drop a pound or two then gain right back. In the 6 weeks since having GBP I have dropped 26lbs. Pretty much eating same type of diet I was prior to the surgery (except during the liquid/mushy/soft stages as required). Diet consists of lean Proteins, salads (once I get to that stage) and the other "healthy" foods that have always been the standard for anyone on a diet. Having a slow thyroid is not something that can be cured by surgery - you will have it all your life. Unfortunately people think that as soon as they are medicated that the weight will just start dripping off - THAT IS NOT THE CASE. You need to take your meds, but don't depend on them to be the diet pill you are dreaming about.

So saying that you don't need to have surgery because you have hypothyroidism is a false statement and one your doctor should explain more clearly to you. You shouldn't regret your GBOP surgery because it is going to do what no other pill can. Keeping the weight off may be easier once your levels are controlled, but it will still be up to you to keep that weight off.

Exactly. Mine went undiagnosed for probably 2 years. I had terrible joint pain that made my hands nearly useless and knees horrible. Started on medication ( no side affects) and slowly the joint pain improved but no impact on weight.

I'm on Synthroid (was on levothyroxine but had a reaction to the genetic that I don't have to the name brand, my grandma has the same issue) and I have gained weight, lost handfuls of hair and do not feel any different since starting the med even though my levels have apparently returned to "normal." I plan on having my RNY within a month. As others have stated, the meds have not made a bit of difference for me. Try not to regret your decision if you can. Hopefully your overall goal was your health and WLS can help in achieving that. I absolutely understand how frustrating it can be when your doctors miss something though.

hey guys and girls

just a heads up. I got a gastric bypass recently that i did not need to have. thats right you read that right i did NOT need the surgery. I have an underactive thyroid gland which can cause pcos , irregular menstrual cycles , ALOT OF WEIGHT GAIN ,very bad mood swings , feeling of depression that never goes away and many more other things.

My doctors never thought about checking my Thyroid gland with the TSH , free T3 & free T4 test to rule it out before giving me the surgery or even thinking about the surgery.

I did ask my doctors every chance i got if there is an alternative treatments and they just said flat out no. and now a few months later i find out from my GP that i have a underactive thyroid gland and i didn't have to have the surgery.

Underactive Thyroid gland means that your thyroid is not producing the hormones needed in your body and the rest of your hormones you have are all messed up.

PLEASE GUYS AND GIRLS BEFORE EVEN THINKING ABOUT SURGERY DEMAND TO YOUR DOCTORS TO GET THE TSH , FREE T3 AND THE FREE T4 TESTS DONE!

you may not need a gastric bypass!

Wow! Its pretty sad that your doctor didnt check this out first. A thyroid panel is a pretty standard test to run on your annual exam...especially if you are obese.