Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a former D1 college wrestler (heavyweight). I've been big all my life, and wrestling/football kept my weight under control. I wrestled at 285 in college and now I weigh 475. While I once blame the immobilization of my two herniated discs in my lower back and the meds administered afterward for my weight increase (common med steroids) ,I think we all know that terrible eating and drinking habits are the true culprits to my excessive weight gain over 2.5 years.

Im 6 ft 5 in. So how on God's earth can I go through the sleeve operation without having the extreme drooping and sagging of my skin after losing the weight so quickly?? I hope to schedule my surgery before Christmas '14, but I feel I need to get a gym membership to lift and run asap to start the process now. What are tips and workouts to follow before, during, and after my procedure to keep from having skin removal surgery? I am open to any and everything! I am getting married to the love of my life on 6-4-16, and I want to look as amazing (265) and fit as I did when Liz first met me. I also want to increase muscle mass along with the weight loss. Again, any advice is welcome.

Thank you for your help,

-Adam

You've pretty much got it right. Cardio and weight training. Stay hydrated (internally with water), moisturize your skin frequently and take your Vitamins. That's it. You didn't say your age (guessing around 26ish), so youth is also on your side for skin rebound as well.

If you do plan on plastics, surgeons usually say to wait until your weight has stablized for one year, once you've hit goal, in order to have the best results and give your skin a chance to settle in and retract on its own as much as possible.

Btw, they'll still take your money and operate; that's just what they recommend! Lol! Good luck to you and congratulations on the decisions to change your life, health, and on your upcoming wedding.

Adam,

I hope your surgery goes well. I couldn't have said it any better than BitterSweet*. I'm 49 so I'll need some assistance with my "bat wings" and sagging skin on my legs.

I have a herniated disc in my low back, a slipped disk and a 60 degree kyphosis, (C curve not S), in my upper spine. My knees are shot and need to be replaced.

If you would have told me before surgery that I would have been able to NOT take any NSAIDS or pain killers after I lost a significant amount of weight----I would not have believed it. The more weight I lost, the better I felt and the less Voltarin I had to use. Voltarin is a prescription cream that works like an NSAID through the skin. My ortho docs would not prescribe any NSAIDS after I had the surgery. The Voltarin was the only thing that got me through the period of time when I was loosing weight and needed something for the pain.

I also do all my exercising in the pool. I can work out VERY hard in Water but no way in heck could I do that on land. The Water provides cushioning to my joints and resistance for ANY movement you are making in the water.

Again I wish you well,

Kathleen