Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused...I am 5 days post-op.

I am five days post-op and confused on how to get the 60 grams of Protein in if I can only have 2-3 ounces of Protein Shake at a time. I am having no problem getting my Fluid or Protein Shakes down. How should I go about getting the 60 grams of protein daily?

Well, if you are using (just for example) the Premier Protein shakes, 2 shakes will give you 60 grams of Protein. Each shake is 11 ounces. Assuming you are awake and able to drink (not showering, going for a walk, etc.) for 12 hours a day, then you need to drink about 2 ounces of Protein Shake every hour. Does that sound doable?

I used Isopure zero carb waters from GNC - there is 40 grms in 20 oz.

Also whey Protein from GNC - 1 scoop in 1/2 cup Water or skim milk - 24 grms protein

They went over this in our pre-op education. Once you hit the pureed/soft food stage, an ounce of tuna which is typically in the pureed/soft foods category has 7g of Protein per ounce. But we can eat 6 ounces at most which if we eat all Protein is 42g of protein. They ask us to supplement with 2 protein shakes per day with at least 20g of protein each. This would get us up to around 80g of protein.

When we are on full liquids, we are supposed to have 60g of protein or 3 Protein Shakes per day. I like the Premier Protein which is 30g of protein for each shake.

At 5 days post op,you'd have to have an IV inserted and have it drip nonstop. THink of 60+ grams as something to work up to as you move to full liquids, then purees, then soft foods, then solid foods. By the time you're fully on solids, you should be incorporating shakes (if you choose to use them) and real food to reach/exceed your 60 grams of Protein. At 21 months out, sometimes *I* have a hard time reaching 60 grams a day, especially if I don't have a shake.

Right now the most important thing to do is hydrate. Dehydration at this stage is a real danger, so sip sip sip that Water. I wasn't even on Protein Shakes until after day 7.

Right now the most important thing to do is hydrate. Dehydration at this stage is a real danger, so sip sip sip that Water. I wasn't even on Protein shakes until after day 7.

Protein Shakes also count toward the Water intake goal. If you're going to be drinking water, it might as well be a Protein shake.

OP: you might try something like powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury mixed with Crystal Light if your surgeon is okay with it at your stage.

Edited by kd5wzr

Depending on your surgeon, yes. I was on Clear Liquids for 7 days, then full liquids which could include milk, almond milk and Protein shakes. My point was to the OP to not stress about getting in 60 grams of Protein so early out because some of us weren't even drinking Protein Shakes that early.

I bought unflavored whey an I would put a spoonful here n there whether it was in my coffee, tea,soups,flavored water..pudding anything I would add so I stayed hydrated an got Protein some go ahead an some wait depends on ur tummy and or surgeon. .that's my tip..what worked for me, the more protein I could get down even if it took me an hr to finish, I sipped on something all the time..just ideas..hang in there..it gets much better!

Thank you all so much! :) :) I am actually having no problems getting the shakes or Water down, I could probably drink a full shake in one sitting, but not going to try it. lol. I hope this is normal!!