Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am two years out and I need help!

I am 2 years out and only lost half of the weight i expected to lose! I am frustrated by this, I have not felt restriction since about 3 months out. Is there any advice about what i should change up?? I added shakes back to my mornings last week, I really try to avoid breads rice or Pasta and if i must have a bread type option I use half a whole wheat low carb high Fiber soft taco size tortilla. I have not been perfect I know this but i am human and I am correcting my mistakes! I am wondering at this far out from my surgery is there something I can try to get the feeling of restriction back??? I was only able to have about 4 months of follow up care with my surgeon and his team because the hospital decided to drop the program my surgeon was in, He is now with another hospital and i have an appt with him next month. But any advice on how to get back to losing again would be appriciated! thanks

Edited by Sleeved831

I would suggest going to the Veterans forums. They seems to have solutions for getting your weight loss back on track...an example is something called 5:2 program. I don't really know what it is because I am only 3 and a half weeks out but I hear it really works for some

who need to jump start weight loss again and "re set" their pouch. Good luck!

thanks!! and good luck to you!

Here's a plan I learned about for getting carbs and cravings under control, and getting that feeling of restriction back:

--if you don't have a myfitnesspal.com (or similar) account, create one and commit to logging everything you eat. Make sure you have a good digital kitchen scale and measuring cups and commit to weighing or measuring everything you eat.

--on myfitnesspal, set your calorie limit to what you think is your maintenance amount, but make sure your carbs are no more than 25% of your total calories.

--for three days, eat nothing but lean meat that is cooked at home, green veggies, and small amounts of healthy fat. Don't worry about the amount that you eat or whether you are going over your calorie limit -- it is the type of food that you need to restrict.

--for the next three days, eat the same foods but lower your calorie limit on MFP by a couple hundred calories per day -- and stick within your limits.

--after three days, expand your food choices to include fruit, dairy, Beans, nuts etc. as long as you keep within your calorie and carb limits. Eat Protein first at all meals and snack ONLY on high protein foods and green veggies.

--if you aren't losing weight after a couple of weeks, lower your calorie intake by a couple of hundred calories per day.

--exercise is great but don't give yourself too much credit for it -- don't "eat back" more than a couple hundred calories per day.

Other options you may want to consider are 5/2 intermittent fasting (check the stickies at the top of the Veterans' board for more info) and the "Five Day Pouch Test" -- just google that one for more info.

Good luck to you!

Thanks, Bufflehead

I tried to post in the veterans forum and it say i must be 2 years out which i am why???

Why do people think shakes are the magic bullet? Sure they were a tool to get Protein in in the pre-op and liquid stages. After that they are nothing but liquid calories. To feel the restriction one needs to eat dense solid protein. Stay away from all high calorie liquids. Drink lots of Water or simular. If you start to get hungry start with a bottle of water and do not eat until you finish the bottle. I have also found coffee is a great appetite supressent. But the acid doesnt bother me like others in this support group.

Thanks, Bufflehead

I tried to post in the veterans forum and it say i must be 2 years out which i am why???

I think there is a post minimum for the veteran's forum. And since you only have six posts, the forum won't let you post.

Try not drinking with or within thirty mins before or after your meals. Prior to surgery my physician said to start eating that way. The fluids before/during and after promote flushing of foods through your stomach allowing more food to be consumed. I started prior to surgery eating that way and lost 15 pd. You fill up with a lot less food and stay full a lot longer.

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate them all

LipstickLady i can eat about 4-5 ounces of chicken or beef and a little bit of a side ( veggie or sweet potato)

i am not logging so i am not sure how much protien or calories at this point. i 40 to 50 ounces of Water and about 25 ounces of tea daily, i went back to the not drinking with in a half hour before or after eating and having a Protein shake for Breakfast. I had been taking a weight lifting class which i loved but after the introductary offer it will be 200.00 a month and i cant afford it. planet fitness here i come.

i really would like to drop about 50-60 more pounds and i feel like i failed the sleeve and it is just to late!

Not to late!!! I don't know your postop protocol but this is what I plan to follow for life..carbs less then 40 daily, Protein eat first each meal then low carb vegs, 60 to 70 protein daily, No starches, potatoes, corn,peas, crackers,wheat grains...couscous or quinoa for complex, I'm aloud no more then 10 grms sugar per serving but I'm not...do you use the myfitnesspal on phone? Best thing ever!! Its my best friend! I record everything I want...I read labels..if your not counting carbs,calories etc you can be consuming a lot more then you think..I no I sure was..that's how I ended up fat. I thought I was eating good the past several yrs...you have the tool. You can get back on tract! I don't eat over 700 calories daily,an that's bc I can't consume any more then that in a day. Another tool I use I use ketones sticks..daily..tells me if I'm burning or if I don't burn I no I have had to many carbs..need to adjust. This is what I do. I'm not 2 yrs out an who knows this might be me asking for ideas so hang in there!! You can do it!!! :)

Thanks! Blondebomb

Par, you do know they make no carb low calorie Protein shakes that have more Protein than you can possibly get eating anything else. I don't think you should be here telling people not to drink their protein, when you are not a MD or bariatric surgeon. You also drink coffee, and caffeine is a huge no no. Most people are not allowed to drink a whole bottle of Water. Youre post is extremely irresponsible. If you drink 5 Protein Shakes ( I use a 90 calorie per shake mix) I take in under 400 calories a day. Hardly high calorie. Protein like say chicken breast, has the following:

• Calories 100.0
  • Total Fat 1.0 g
  • Saturated Fat 0.0 g
  • Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
  • Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
  • Cholesterol 60.0 mg
  • Sodium 250.0 mg
  • Potassium 0.0 mg
  • Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
  • Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
  • Sugars 0.0 g
  • Protein 22.0 g
  • Vitamin A 0.0 %
  • Vitamin B-12 0.0 %
  • Vitamin B-6 0.0 %
  • Vitamin C 0.0 %
  • Vitamin D 0.0 %
  • Vitamin E 0.0 %
  • Calcium 0.0 %
  • Copper 0.0 %
  • Folate 0.0 %
  • Iron 0.0 %
  • Magnesium 0.0 %
  • Manganese 0.0 %
  • Niacin 0.0 %
  • Pantothenic Acid 0.0 %
  • Phosphorus 0.0 %
  • Riboflavin 0.0 %
  • Selenium 0.0 %
  • Thiamin 0.0 %
  • Zinc

One shake has the same or less calories, plus Fiber and lots of Vitamins. AND it wont stretch your sleeve, which is a great thing. So I would avoid telling people to go against their doctors and nutritionists.

Why do people think shakes are the magic bullet? Sure they were a tool to get protein in in the pre-op and liquid stages. After that they are nothing but liquid calories. To feel the restriction one needs to eat dense solid protein. Stay away from all high calorie liquids. Drink lots of Water or simular. If you start to get hungry start with a bottle of water and do not eat until you finish the bottle. I have also found coffee is a great appetite supressent. But the acid doesnt bother me like others in this support group.