Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hunger, vagus nerve, ghrelin

My stomach is literally growling (seemingly below the band). At the same time, I just finished a Protein shake and I have that chest tightness/fullness feeling (above the band). I'm four days post op. Is this normal?

The lap band forces us to feel full through restriction and by triggering the vagus nerve. What about ghrelin? Isn't the remainder of our underused stomach still producing ghrelin, and inducing hunger?

I know this is off the topic a little bit; but how exactly does the vagus nerve suppress hunger? I was interested in geting vagus nerve stimulation for depression. If what you said is true, then it would also help with my appetite? I'll have to look that up.

I had the lapband for 10 years and I have to say, it never really did anything for my hunger. I was hungry the whole time, just couldn't eat much. I always said it was similar to how it must feel having your jaw wired. Still hungry but just can't eat ! Hence it's removal and converted to sleeve last month.

Steph,

Yes it's normal. You're hungry. If you drink too fast this early after surgery, liquids can take time to travel through the stoma and if you drink too much too quickly your esophagus will stretch causing some discomfort.

Ghrelin. We seldom talk of ghrelin. Ghrelin production happens still but once the band is adjusted properly ghrelin production will lessen. But you're still in the post surgery recovery phase so you still have adjustments in your future.

John, Your band was placed back when they still used the peri gastric method and old band technology. New surgical techniques and bands have made the band a much safer procedure. Also, caring doctors now have a much better handle on screening patients and educating patients best. 10 years ago the band was seen by the bariatric community as a panacea which of course it's not. Good luck with your sleeve journey.

tmf

John, Your band was placed back when they still used the peri gastric method and old band technology. New surgical techniques and bands have made the band a much safer procedure. Also, caring doctors now have a much better handle on screening patients and educating patients best. 10 years ago the band was seen by the bariatric community as a panacea which of course it's not. Good luck with your sleeve journey.

tmf

Hi TMF,

I travelled to the South of France to have my band 10 years ago, the surgery was performed by a highly regarded, well know surgeon, at that time he used a Swedish Adjustable Gastric Band which was placed via the pars flaccida technique. Which I believe may have been fairly advanced or new at the time. I'm not to sure about this peri-gastric method to which you refer. Anyhow to respond to your comments further, there were no issues regarding the safety of my procedure and my band was not sold to me as a panacea it was clearly sold as a weight loss tool only. However, I was told that the band was totally reversible and would not cause the stomach any damage (not true) and that it will stay in for life (not true).

I'm not knocking the band, it got me down to my goal weight, but I probably had 100 doctors room visits over the 10 years it was in and then started having severe reflux and needed less Fluid which for me equalled weight gain.

It was a relief to have it taken out, the sleeve for me, although it's only early days (5 weeks) so far has given me a much more 'natural' feeling of fullness. Which is great.

Thanks for your good luck wishes.

Regards

John

John,

You got in just when the new band and technique revolution began. Good for you but unfortunate it didn't work out.

tmf

I'm in the group where I am never hungry, have no appetite, and very little interest in food.....

It is not physical, as many report of that "Full" feeling they desire, ...it is a mental thing, the band telling my brain I am full, satisfied, 24/7, whether I have eaten or not.

I have to remind myself I need to eat, and then it is usually because I'm telling myself I need to get my daily protein....

I have gone, not intentional, 24+ hrs without eating without realizing it because I was occupied with other things...like traveling....

This has been really informative. Thanks!

Before I was banded I'd eat something and then want to have something else. Now sometimes my brain wants to do that. We call this head hunger. The difference post-banding is that I am able (easily) to just switch out of that mode. Physically I could have more food (then wait and go have more food, wait, have more food) but mentally I don't want to. That craving for more is gone so now I just stop. Hope that helps!

I think johnsydney ur not helping anyone with such comments in the lapband forum. I come here for advice from people who have made their lap band work. Please think about that before u post. Especially in response to someone just a few days out of surgery. U can really put bad thoughts in peoples heads.

I think johnsydney ur not helping anyone with such comments in the lapband forum. I come here for advice from people who have made their lap band work. Please think about that before u post. Especially in response to someone just a few days out of surgery. U can really put bad thoughts in peoples heads.

Oui1213 - If you don't like my comments please don't read them. You are clearly quite a rude person. After having the band for 10 years, I feel suitably qualified to talk about my experiences. My responses here are honest, truthful and well balanced. Please read them again. Would you prefer it if I lied? Or genuinely shared my experiences, which, I believe is what this forum is about. My response here says that I am not knocking the band, it helped me lose weight, did I ever really feel full? No I didn't, is what the person in the original post experiencing normal? Yes it was at least the same for me. I also think it's very silly and naive of you to only want to hear success stories, like all types of surgeries, for some people this procedure works extremely well, for others not so well, people need to here all angles not just the good ones! send2steph posted "This has been really informative. Thanks!" So would you please mind your own business and keep your nose out. Thanks. Oui1213.

Edited by johnsydney