Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WLS for Binge Eaters?

I've grown increasingly interested in WLS after being obese for many years and trying many methods of weight loss, but I remain concerned by my problems with binge eating. I know that with many of the WLS options, it's possible to stretch the stomach back out if you don't follow the rules, and I have concerns about this. I'm seeking to address the issue with therapy, so at this point, I'm curious to hear from anyone on this board who may have had some type of WLS with a history of binge eating, and if so, what kind of surgery did you have and how did it affect your treatment and recovery?

Thanks!

This was the primary reason for me to have WLS....I could not stop eating, could eat enough to feed 5 people.

Every Friday I could and would eat a large pizza with all the toppings all by myself...and then continue to snack right up till bedtime.

Going out to dinner, whatever other family members could not finish, I would!

Diets, been on dozens over the past 35 years, never worked. I failed at every single one. Could not control my eating, my hunger, and my insatiable appetite.

When my health finally started to seriously suffer, my PCP referred me for WLS.

Since then, I have returned to a normal weight, I am never hungry, no cravings, my tastes have changed, and frankly have no interest on food or desire to eat. I have to remind myself to, and then it is because I know I need my daily Protein requirement.

Not all cases are the same as me....I know many who do have it the same way as I do, and I always thought and expected that that was the way it was supposed to be, from the very beginning........but reading the posts on this forum I realize not everyone does. Don't know why exactly, but it's true.

It is IMPOSSIBLE for me to over eat, even if I wanted to...which I do not or care to.

Personally, for me, I cannot comprehend how I could ever "fall off the wagon" as it is....other people do, so there is something different going on from patient to patient I guess.

I have my theories, but that's all they are. Theories and opinions.....So I keep them to myself.

Edited by B-52

I agree with B on some points.

it is very hard for me to physically overeat.....when my mother died recently, i reverted back to wanting to eat to comfort me...my lap band would NOT allow that to happen....i also was and will forever be a binge eater...the more the better is how i see it...any WLS works if used as the doctor advises but it also boils down to the patient making changes in their lives...best of luck to you on whatever you choose.

It's been over 3 years since I've been sleeved and i still have the urge to binge but am physically unable. U get a feeling that is not an enjoyable one when ur little stomach is full, at that point u just know to stop eating or face the consequences. Wls is not an easy way out but so worth it!

there are people who are able to eat around their surgery. so it depends on what you binge on.

obviously, the more you can deal with before the surgery the better. the surgery doesnt fix your emotions or your thought processes. its just one facet of a complicated situation. very few of us were fat for one single reason.

Having the appetite dimmed allows me to make good choices -- I am so happy to be out of food jail. I still love food, just in small amounts at appropriate intervals -- and I'm not on a diet. WLS was a drastic decision for me but I'm so glad I took that step. Very happy and at peace now, have become a real exerciser and many positive changes in my life. Best wishes to you whatever you decide. Choosing yourself and your health first is what's important!

I am 16 months post-op from a RNY bariatric surgery operation. Before surgery, I had a constant gnawing appetite. After surgery I was no longer hungry. Sometimes I have to force myself to eat. Also because of the size of my new stomach, I can no longer eat a meal larger than my fist without feeling it (dumping syndrome).

I think being successful at this WLS and being a binge eater depends on a few things.

Obesity is a symptom of a larger problem...over eating. Overeating is a symptom of a larger problem...usually psychological in nature. Unless that root problem is understood and addressed you are only applying a band-aid to the illness. It can take a long time to understand WHY you binge.

I felt like I was prepared going in to this journey, and I was. But one thing that I underestimated was the power behind my food addiction. The first couple of times post-op that I had conflict with my ex-husband...stress, frustration, hurt feelings....and could not eat those feelings down was very upsetting. I think I just walked around the house crying and screaming. Normally I could eat those feelings away and dull the pain with food and fullness. But now I am left to sit with them. It was very difficult and even though I knew it would be hard, I was amazed by the power I had given food in my life.

You have to develop new coping skills. Journaling, walking, exercising, playing an instrument. Everybody has different ways. I bought a classic 74 Chevy truck and drive it around to nowhere. It's soothing to me, I enjoy it. It's meditative and gives me time to process my feelings instead of burying them under a food coma. I also take long walks with the dog around my property. Gardening and pulling weeds is good for me.

WLS has been like hitting a giant RESET button on my relationship with food. I cut the strings, but I know that the tool will loose it's power over time. The early months give us an opportunity to start on a clean slate with coping skills and food issues. Lot's of people can gain the weight back if they don't "fix" the things that are really wrong here.

As big a deal as WLS is, it is still just a band-aid for a deeper problem. Fix the deeper problem, leverage the power of the VSG tool, and rewire your brain's relationship with food and you cannot fail!

Good Luck!

If you would have asked me years ago I would have said I was a binge eater because I could eat so much (basically eat like a man..haha!) but I went to an eating disorders clinic and was thoroughly evaluated and did not meet the clinical definition of a binge eater. The surgery has so far worked for me (will be 3 years out in December and went from super morbidly obese to normal BMI and now maintaining).

If I understand binge eating correctly, it is not really about hunger so i would worry that over time the urge to binge may negate surgery benefits. I am certainly not an expert, but have you considered really being diagnosed by a non surgical practice? I would be careful though of doing it through a pschologist associated with a surgeon because you might wind up getting denied based on being "honest".

I tried EVERYTHING multiple times - weight watchers, the hormone drops, nutrisystems, talk therapy, hypnosis, etc but i was always still hungry. for me the physical reduction (not elimination by the way!) has helped me learn to manage food. I could not do it was driven to eat 24/7. I do get hungry now, and one of my many "learnings' is to tolerate it... gee.. it is a normal human experience to be hungry before a meal, who knew? Anyway, my hunger is way reduced so it is something i can cope with.

It's been over 3 years since I've been sleeved and i still have the urge to binge but am physically unable. U get a feeling that is not an enjoyable one when ur little stomach is full, at that point u just know to stop eating or face the consequences. Wls is not an easy way out but so worth it!

I am only 4 months out but this is my story too. when I binge ate, I could literally not feel my stomach. the lap band made me bulemic, so I think the sleeve was the best option for me and it is working. I am trying not to worry too much about what will happen in a year or two or three. I am grateful to have almost half my weight off.

Hi there. I went to the psychological testing and I came up as a binge eater. I was required to preop therapy for a total of 6months. They teach you how to divert

To other than eating in nature. I had my surgery last Wednesday and I had had not desire to binge. As a matter of fact I am not hungry at all. What I need help with is slowing the eatting the process. Bad habit to eat fast. Now I use a baby spoon half full and put the spoon down between bites. Wishing u the best

Edited by acbell288

I have been a binge eater since childhood. My parents were binge eaters as well.

I am scared TO DEATH of wrecking my insides by returning to binge eating. Read the forums and learn that yes, you can cause medical problems by returning to disordered eating on any of the WLS methods.

My band is a tool but it encircles a very real organ in my gut. If I stretch its limits it will slip. If I eat around my band and get in the habit of puking, I will cause medical damage and possibly a medical emergency. This is terrifying for me.

Today I feel good restriction and I follow my band rules for eating. I'm also working on the underlying causes of my binge eating and training myself to use new coping habits for life.

For ME, the benefits of the surgery were enough to make me wiling to give up binge eating for life. I had to be mentally ready to never do it again.

WLS is not for sissies.

you can actually kill yourself. i read about a woman in the UK who has bypass and she continued to binge eat and the food began backing up into her esophagus. eventually she stretched the esophagus to the point where the excess food in there suffocated her.

obviously, a very rare occurrence, but i cant imagine what that must have felt like... the inquest said it was over a period of months that she did this to herself.

Thank you so much to everyone who commented. This is such a major decision that your comments help so much as I weigh all the pros and cons. My research and attending informational sessions with surgeons has also suggested that if I do go for WLS, the band is probably going to be the least practical idea for someone with my eating situation.

Edited by Redsfan19