Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2014 Sleevers

Hi everyone, thought it would be a good chance to reach put to people out there who are having their sleeve done in October. Mine is on the 29th & I have been planning this for 12 months. Good friends of mine had it done with fantastic results do that when I decided to join a health fund & as we know you need to wait 12 months other wise I would have done it by now.

Stats are:

Age 43, height 4/11, weight 106kg

Feeling excited to start so starting on Monday I'm going to start taking the Optifast for Breakfast then after a couple of weeks included lunch the dinner.

I have two young boys full on energy & would love to do more with them but I'm always feeling too tired.

I'm having my surgery at St George private in Sydney.

Hope we can help each other along on a journey to a fitter more healthier lifestyle.

Hi Skinnyme45, I'm also having my surgery on the 29th at St George Private! I'm excited and nervous all rolled into one but know this is the right thing for me. So best of luck for your surgery, we are on our way to skinnyness!

Really tired from the Optifast but otherwise pretty good. How about you?. I'm working up until Wednesday so I've hardly had time to think about it. Have you been told what time you need to be there yet?

I've been OK! I prepared & sat through a beautiful BBQ for the family yesterday. It was hard smelling that food & not being able to eat any of it, but I'm keeping my mind on the bigger picture.

I don't have a time yet but they told me I should hear from them by 1pm tomorrow.

I'm working till Tuesday just trying to keep busy preparing meals & things for the family whist I'm away.

I was sleeved on Friday and I'm 3 days post-op. I flew to the Gold Coast to have my sleeve done and arrived back in Sydney last night. My first 2 days were pretty rough as I was in a lot of pain and discomfort. I couldn't drink the Soup or juice. I just sipped on the Water and sucked on ice. Day 3 I've had all the Soup they gave me and Water. No pain whatsover and wounds are healing fantastic. Definately have lost all apetite which is what I expected.

Why did I go to the Gold Coast to do my surgery? Well the simple reason was my surgeon here in Sydney raised the out-of-pocket fees $1600 in a year. From $4200 to $5800 and after waiting a year for my private health insurance to kick in I was guttered. In the end I found Dr Liew and I only paid $650 out-of-pocket fees. He's an amazing Doctor.

Hi Ray, I'm pleased to hear your doing well. That pain you talk about is my biggest fear along with complications further down the track. Like you my OP is a lot more expensive than first quoted so I had to dip into hubby's man cave funds. Now I'm worried if their are complications he'll just let me die, LOL . So this has got to go right the first time as I can't afford it not too....Just one more sleep and it all becomes a reality.

Hi Ray, I wish I had of done more research regarding cost as I'm definitely out of pocket $$$$. But in saying that I'm happy with the surgeon I've chosen Dr Kozinkovas, I've heard good things.

Good news your feeling well & on to the next chapter of your life.

Edited by Skinnyme45

Hi Ladies. I was so apprehensive and anxious about the pain too. I researched about everything that could go wrong but the benefits outweigh the negatives. At the end of the day I just thought I'm going to extend my life and quality of it if I do it. The chances of you dying are extremely low. My friend lost 90kg in a year and she said there were many rough times at first but looking back she would do it all over again. That inspired me. So I encourage you both and wish you well.

Yes Ray I have to agree, the quality of life far out ways being tired and miserable as I am now. I know a few people who have had this procedure and all have success stories. My life of yo yo dieting and diet pills will be a thing of the past!

Skinnyme45 same surgeon, same hospital, same day! I'm sure I'll see you at sometime but If I don't see you pre surgery, good luck xx

Edited by MooCow4

Hello MooCow4 how are you feeling? I struggled with my Water after you left I guess I didn't have anyone to gauge my progress. Missed out on dinner last night but have decided that today is a new day so I'm going to make some Soup today, have you made any soup yet?

Hi Skinnyme43,

Yesterday wasn't the best day for me either. I had 1/2 a shake for Breakfast but thought I'd clever and add some yogurt just to boost up the Protein BIG MISTAKE! I don't know if I drank to much too quick but the effects weren't pretty! I slept most of the day and only managed about 600mls of Water. Feeling lots better today and have almost sipped down a bottle of Water. I have a batch of chicken and mushroom Soup on as we speak which smells delicious. Still can't gauge this tummy thing, if I'm eating enough or not enough. I feel sleepy all the time Zzzz