Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering removal need advice/help!

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice/support on having my band removed. I was originally banded in 2007 at 319 lbs. I lost 30 lbs to get the band. After it was placed my lowest weight was 275 about 5 months after surgery. Over the next 7 years I gained all of my weight back and then some. I got back up to 330 lbs. Until November of last year I decided to change my lifestyle and eat healthier, exercise etc., I am now 250 lbs and working hard every day to keep the weight off. I have been experiencing all kinds of stomach issues and had all the tests done, endoscopy, upper GI etc. the Fluid has been removed from my band but apparently my band is fine. In my head I feel like the band is making me miserable and I want it out!! I no longer want this foreign object in my body if it is not serving me a purpose. I have talked to a surgeon and she thinks we can get it done and insurance will cover it.

I would like to get some input from those who have had their bands removed. The thought of any surgery scares the heck out of me and I do not want any other type of surgery such as bypass or the sleeve I just want to be done with it. Are those of you who have had it removed glad that you did it? Have you had any complications? I know weight gain is a big concern but I am not as concerned about that as I am about feeling worse. Right now the band is sitting there doing nothing, should I just leave it? I am so confused......

~Becky

Hello Becky,

I applaud the lifestyle changes you are making. Eighty pounds off is a huge achievement! I'm very proud of you without even knowing you. Living with extra weight is a daily struggle and it doesn't get easier as you age. As for band removal, I'm in a similar position. I had the lapband surgery in June 2012 and never lost weight. I've been trying to get a removal date for the past year, but my clinic keeps putting me off -- first to have some tests -- now because the surgeon is too busy to see me. They say the band is fine but I experience vomiting, heart palpations, sweating and reflux on a regular basis when I eat (I take small bites and eat very slowly). I never experienced the "sweet spot" that successful banders reach. Like you, I feel the band is doing nothing, but I am not confused. I know the band has to come out. For one thing they degrade over time and can cause injury to the stomach area under the band. You may experience a small weight gain initially as you get used to life without a band, but if you keep your focus and stick to your healthly lifestyle, I think you will be successful without the band. I wish you all the best with your decision and your future health.

Peace and love,

Delightful Soul

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement! I feel so fortunate that I was approved quite easily for the removal. Not sure why I am scared as hell to go through surgery but I am having out on the 8th. I pray for a decent recovery. You are right it has to come out. I have accepted that so besides my fear I am moving forward. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to respond I needed it!

Hi:

I was banded on January 5, 2006 (on my 46th birthday). I weighed 255 lbs and had problems from the start with the band. I had very little fill the first six months and vomited constantly. I finally hit my sweet spot in 2007 and lost 65 lbs. I looked good but felt terrible. Eventually with this fill, after about 8 months, I started with the reflux at night and it kept me up all night until whatever food had to come up did. I was having marital problems and when I was stressed, my band would tighten up and this helped me lose weight. Not a good way of doing it. I had several fills and defills over the years but could not find my sweet spot again.

I went for a barium test, two years ago and the radiologist told me to have a defill. The barium was not going down. Luckily there was a doctor in town that Slimband referred me to and he gave me a small defill. I gained 15 lbs. A year later, with the same fill, I started with the reflux again and had another barium test and again, was sent for a defill. Surprise, I gained another 20 lbs.

Slimband then decided that they were no longer going to support the TLBC patients and I lost it. I could not imagine myself without support and having all of these problems. I have nothing good to say about Slimband. They are nice to you and once they have your money, you are just another number.

Found a great surgeon in Toronto and just had my lapband removed on September 22, 2014. Surgery went very well. The band left a bit of scarring but nothing serious. I was actually out and walking that night and went to dinner and ate lightly. The only pain that I had was in my shoulders and this lasted for a few days.

My Iron count and B12 count have been very low in the last 8 years and I know its from my diet. I have a long road ahead of me and it will be hard. I didn't go crazy and eat a hamburger or hot dog (which I haven't had in 8 years) but I am so happy that I can eat chicken, raw veggies and healthy foods. I don't have to worry about eating out in public and making sure that I can make it to the bathroom in case I have to vomit I feel that I have more energy. I am watching what I eat carefully. I am very upset that I let myself gain back the 35 lbs but when you are deprived and eating only Soups and shakes and then you are defilled, you naturally turn to foods that go down easily and unfortunately are calorie high.

You are fortunate that you lost the 80 lbs and you have made the right decision. The band is not for everyone. I know it wasn't for me. It wasn't hard saying bye to it......I am glad that I tried it but look forward to my life being unbanded.

Good luck with with your surgery!

Thank you so much for sharing your story! It sounds like you had a long rough journey with the band. I am actually scheduled to have it out tomorrow morning! Your words of encouragement mean more than you will ever know. This is scary to me and I just want it out and hope to move on and keep up the weight loss on my own. I know it will be tough but I have been fighting my weight my whole life so nothing new.

I would like to have my band removed. I did ok the first year and honestly when I wanted to eat things beside slim fast or other liquid foods I stated eat chips and queso, yes a poor decision on my part. However for the last 4 years I have been still having trouble dumping. It burns in the area of my ring and it is still harder to eat the better foods salads veggies etc. I had so many problems with the doctor reading what I was allergic too and because I have a blood disorder that I made them aware of that seemed to be over looked as well had it not been in pre op that the anortesoloist found that my blood was off that morning I would have bleed to death. I was pulled from pre op and rescheduled after a transfusion. I finally had the band put in but was given pain medication I was allergic too. I have had only 3 fills since then. The doctor I had even said are you going to be the one I have to take this off of? My experience hadn't been the best to begin with. I've been wanting to take this off for three years now, and I don't want to go back to the doctor who did the surgery for the shame and blame game. However it seems others don't want to take off someone else's band. I feel stuck. I'm glad that it works for most people, really I am. It seems they just want to talk you into a sleeve if not the band. I'm very frustrated and helpful reference's ?

Don't feel any shame. These Dr's know that in most cases the band is a failure. Please join a support group on Facebook that I have found extremely helpful. It's called Failed Lap Bands and Realize Bands. Just search for it. It's a closed group so it's private. Just request to join and you will be able to share your story and get advice from others in similar situations. Good Luck!

I had my lapband for almost five years. I was one of those people who lost nothing...I had refills and did my exercise and watched my diet. I never had reflux but I couldn't burp, which caused me chest pain all the time. Then my left side, about two years ago, started hurting so bad that I couldn't sleep on it. I am one of those people who doesn't feel pain until it is a ten, so I knew something was wrong. I don't take meds only Vitamins. I complained to my GP doctor and he said suggested I have the band removed. I started researching to see if anyone else had this problem...I couldn't believe all the negative results. I had my lapband removed in September, 2014 and since that time I have lost over 25 pounds. My body doesn't hurt anymore... I enjoy my food so much more then when I had the band. I do the same routine in exercise that I did when I had the band. I feel great! I will not look into a weight loss program again unless it is WW. But at this time, I just want to mention all of our bodies are different and react different. My lapband doctor told me he had never had a patience do so well after a lapband removed then me. Everyone listen to your body and what it tells you...

Hi, I had my band removed July 8th. I knew it had to come out and like most ppl here, I was afraid of the removal b/c I used a different Dr. to remove it. My surgeon moved hundreds of miles away. I had all of the lap band woes as everyone else did. I had left side pain that lasted sometimes for 3 weeks and then gradually went away only to return and start over again about 6 weeks later. I lost 45 lbs in the first 5 weeks but I had the band for 5 years. Luckily I haven't gained any weight, as a matter of fact, I lost 3 lbs w/o trying. You will be fine and feel a lot better once it's removed. take care

I just had my lap band removed on Dec 4th! So excited to start my new life. My goal after almost 6 years of misery is to lose the weight on my own ( again). Did it once can do it again with the right foods. My band never really worked and I felt like a failure but I recently came to the realization that the band failed me. I am still recovering from the surgery and having it scared me but it was what I had to do. For the first time in almost 6 years I feel happy and positive about losing weight.

Becky you should do what you feel is right for you. I finally did it and am ready for a new challenge. I am so looking forward to being able to eat some meat, fruits and veggies....the ones that got stuck. An apple with skin, a piece of chicken or some rice or even a baked potatoe. I believe this has made me stronger and my desire to be healthy will prevail!

We can only do what is right for ourself and encourage those others who struggled to do the same. I will be here if you need an encouraging word or a cyber hug to help you

~sue~

I'm so glad to read this thread and I thank the OP for opening up the conversation. I am exactly in the same place; contemplating getting my band removed. I've done well with it but now am experiencing cardiac arthymia each time I eat...even eating the smallest bites possible and chewing to liquid. I ended up in the ER and am now on beta blockers just to keep my heart rate in rhythm.

I am sure there is a correlation between the band's placement and cardiac athythmia for certain people. I'd rather live unbanded than on beta blockers for the rest of my life. The band has been great for me in terms of turning down my appetite, but if it takes my life because it is setting off my heart beat? Not worth it for me.

Right now I would not consider a revision.

Edited by parisshel