Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good weight loss before weight loss surgery - should I still get weight loss surgery

Insurance requires a 6 month weight trial prior to approving surgery. I began in April and through diet modifications alone (no exercise) I have lost almost 50 pounds. The nutrition classes and support group meetings have provided me with tools that I haven't used in the past. Now that it is getting a bit cooler it will be easier for me to start including exercise into the mix to hopefully lose weight more rapidly.

I have to attend one more nutritional meeting in Oct. If I maintain the weight loss that I have so far, I will have lost 60 pounds possibly more. That is over 1/3 of the weight needed to reach my goal weight in just 6 months. I am beginning to question whether or not I should proceed with weight loss surgery. In one more year it is conceivable that I could lose it all, not have the risks associated with surgery, not have the difficult adjustments and possible issues after surgery, won't have to take all of the specific Vitamins etc for the rest of my life.

When I started this I learned that I would need the bypass due to GERD. That was ok. I was prepared to do whatever it took to lose the weight. I didn't expect to be so successful at sticking to the recommendations for eating.

At this point I really do not know what I should do. Did any of you experience what I think is very good weight loss after beginning the journey? If you are here, I'm assuming you went on with the surgery. Are you happy with that decision or do you still wonder if you could have done it on your own? Do you think I'm fooling myself to even consider being able to proceed without having surgery?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I did real well before and lost 35 lbs. I thought I could do it on my own but after 2 years gained it all back and then some. I have learned that I cannot do it on my own and wish that I had proceeded as planned. I would have been that much further ahead in the long run. You are on a positive track to changing your eating habits. Keep it up. The surgery was the best thing ever for me. I still backslide once in a while but with the surgery I can get right back to eating healthy so much easier. It's a wonderful miracle for me in my life and I am thankful for it everyday.

I've lost 50 pounds several times over... the problem is KEEPING the weight off. If you feel you can be successful in maintaining the weight loss, and continuing to be able to lose more, than you may not need surgery. But, for most folks that is a very, very hard thing to do.

I suspect 99 percent of us finally decided to have surgery after we've seen the weight come off, and return, after years of failed diets. I'm not a youngster, and I decided to have my surgery before I was too old to undergo such a serious elective procedure. The clock is always running.

I did real well loosing weight before surgery...dozens of times over the years.

Statistically speaking, I think only around 1% of people who lose significant amounts of weight keep it off long term. If you want to find out whether or not you can be a statistical outlier, then put off the surgery. But just remember, there's a reason people who lose over 100lb (without surgery) often make the news: it doesn't happen that often.

Are you sure you only qualify for the bypass? My acid reflux was entirely due to my food choices, and during the pre-op diet when I was eating totally clean, it completely went away. Every once and while I get that acidic hungry feeling, but at over 3 months post-op, that only happens one or two times a month and then I just take pill for it. I know I would have been a lot more hesitant about surgery if the bypass were the only thing I qualified for. I know lots of people are happy with it and it's a tried and true tool for weight loss, but personally, I didn't feel ready it. My sleeve, on the other hand, I'm very happy with.

From February of this year until my surgery in June I lost (in just 4 months!) 85 pounds. Now, part of that was because I had SO MUCH to lose and the first 40 came off really easily. I did it mostly without exercise. I ate high Protein and low carbs and I cut out starches, fruit, and sugar. Honestly, it wasn't a hard diet to stay on because even though I cut calories dramatically, I was still eating quite a bit but GOOD food.

My own primary care doctor said "You're doing so well without surgery, do you still want to do it?" I honestly considered not having the surgery but I'm so glad I went ahead with it. Even though I haven't lost as much as some people have in 2.5 months, I've still lost 40ish pounds since then and I know that I'm better equipped now with this new tool to keep on losing.

Who knows how long I could have kept up losing on my own? I definitely noticed a slow down as my body adjusted to getting less food. You mention that you think (based on this six months) you could lose all of it in another year. Anything is possible but I heartily say: do not count on it. As you lose more and more weight your body needs less calories to sustain itself and you'll have to eat less and less to accomplish weight loss. As you add exercise your body will also need (nearly demand!) more food because you're running it harder.

Only you can determine if WLS will be a right fit for you. Look at all the pros and cons and make a choice based on what you've done in your lifetime, not in the last six months. Good luck!

I was always an EXPERT DIETER....... I just was NEVER an EXPERT MAINTAINOR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen to that!!

I could always lose 20 pounds...I've lost hundreds and hundreds of pounds doing that. Losing and gaining, losing and gaining. Wash, rinse, repeat.

For me, sustaining that lifestyle was not possible. There was always something that happened that stopped me from continuing on the diet or exercise program.

My husband hit it on the head when we were discussing this surgery - he said, "This will force your hand to change your lifestyle and maintain it." That is so true.

If you think you can continue on doing what you're doing, that is great! Maybe you should give it another try on your own. For me, I knew one more time, wasn't going to work for me. This surgery was my solution.

Best of luck to you!

If you're having doubts, you might want to explore utilizing a regular diet before taking the big plunge. I know I can probably speak for most everyone when I say that I knew for a fact that dieting would never work for me as it once did. I'd finally reached that point in my life where I was too old to run 5 miles a day and still go to aerobics class that night. My metabolism had slowed enough that I could maintain a BMI of 40 but no less. I had no other choice and I knew it. No doubt in my mind.

tmf

I was always an EXPERT DIETER....... I just was NEVER an EXPERT MAINTAINOR!!!!!!!!!!!!

@@HealthyNewMe

that wraps it up for me too in a nutshell :huh:

@@Vabeachlady

have you always been heavy???

these past 6 months, is this basically the first time you tried to lose weight???

"kindof" sounds like it might be your first successful weight loss

if thats the case, keep on doing what you are doing

"maybe" surgery isn't necessary :blink:

but if you are a professional dieter like many of us, and can't keep off the weight...........

maybe you might want to reconsider the surgery again

you did make the smart decision to have the surgery, not sure if you want to second guess your initial thought

this can be ONLY your decision

think seriously about all your options - pros and cons

good luck with your decision :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Sure, go for it.

Lose it on your own.

Keep it off on your own.

That has worked well for so many people here.

Oh, wait ... it didn't.

The last study I read said that 98% of people who lose weight through dieting gain it all back, and often more. And 50% of people who have WLS maintain most or all of their weight loss permanently.

You do the math.

I've successfully lost 80lbs on my own - about 1/2 of what I'd need to lose overall. I have no doubts that I can take the weight off without surgery.

I do know that I can't keep it off. Each time I've lost weight in the last 5 years (80lbs and then 60lbs) I have gained most, if not all of it back within 18 months. Personally, I can't keep doing that over and over again. I need help not only to continue losing past that mark, but to also keep it off long-term.

If you have NEVER tried a diet or changed your lifestyle habits before, then maybe you do need a longer trial. Maybe you're one of the lucky 1-2% that will be able to lose it and keep it off without it being your entire life. Those people do exist and I have the utmost respect for them. On the other hand, if you've done the diets or lifestyle modifications before and never been able to maintain the loss, then perhaps this is the right choice.

You definitely need to go into this knowing that this is the best decision for you and your lifestyle.

I was about as bad as could get pre-surgery. I was morbidly obese even though I was on a 'diet' for a year prior. I followed this diet plan religiously and still only lost 25 lbs. I needed to lose 125 lbs. I was in such terrible pain from joint disease that I was probably only weeks or months away from going into a wheelchair. I couldn't exercise because I couldn't move.

I really think that my dire situation is what helped me to stay focused and do what needed to be done. I also don't think I'm alone regarding this. Those of us who are so terribly impacted by our obesity have a tremendous motivation to get healthy. After being banded, I lost around 100 lbs. and was three months out from bilateral hip replacement.

There are times I am so mad at myself for allowing myself to get so bad but there are other times when I think I might not have been as successful if I hadn't gotten so bad.

If you are basically healthy and finding success without WLS, yes...give it some more thought. If you cannot keep the weight off, you know the WLS is still a viable option for you.

I lost 130 pounds over two years by diet and exercise at age 28. I got down to 156 pounds and got married. I gained 11 pounds on my honeymoon and never saw 156 again. Fast forward a couple of decades, a couple of kids, dozens of diets and pills and rounds of Weight Watchers, and many more pounds lost and regained. This March I was banded. I lost 50 pounds before my first fill. I follow the plan most days pretty well and I'm down over 80 pounds. Halfway to goal. The difference is this time those pounds are not coming back.

I'm 53 years old and I've been there and done that. I want a life. I'm getting one.

Edited by JustWatchMe