Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flappy arms

My arms are driving me crazy! I can't stand the way they look, and I'm doing targeted arm workouts every day. Does anyone have a great arm workout to share?

I hate them too!!!!!! I've been going to the gym and have muscles on top and bat wings on the bottom!!!!!!!!! I hope you get some suggestions!

Ditto. Mine flap in the wind when I ride my motorcycle. I think they might be getting smaller though since I added some upper body work to my exercise routine!

I know I'm always going to have batwings...It's my tax for allowing my life to get out of control for for the past 25 years.

With that said, here are some things I've been doing and my arms have reduced in size and the batwings are a little smaller...I started doing Hot Yoga, this is toning all of my body, but I've noticed it in my arms and thighs more than anything. Also, when I do the elliptical, I lift one leg up and pump my arms (think of skipping on one foot) - this forces you to move the machine mostly with your arms. You feel a burn after about 15 seconds. Then I switch to the other leg for 15 seconds. Then I "pedal" normally for 30 seconds. I repeat this for 5 minutes.

Cardio for overall loss, then do things like swim. Swimming is a great upper body workout. Push ups, triceps dips, kick backs, skull crushers all hit the triceps hard.

If it's due to mostly loose skin, there's not a lot that can be done short of surgery. Time helps, along with doing some arm work, especially for triceps such a dips, diamond pushups and close grip bench press. Filling it in with muscle will make it somewhat tighter, but there's only so much muscle one can build there.

I have batwings, but they're improving. It may just be that it's reaching the point where it's noticeable, but people close to me recently started commenting on their shrinkage. And I recently started dry brushing every morning. Could be related? Either way, it has tons of benefits and feels great. There are a bunch of tutorials on YouTube.

I have batwings, but they're improving. It may just be that it's reaching the point where it's noticeable, but people close to me recently started commenting on their shrinkage. And I recently started dry brushing every morning. Could be related? Either way, it has tons of benefits and feels great. There are a bunch of tutorials on YouTube.

Cool, and I hope the progress continues! What is dry brushing? Is that what's on youtube?

Cool, and I hope the progress continues! What is dry brushing? Is that what's on youtube?

Yep! There are how toos and this science heavy explanation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZfMhXsjXeQ. My husband likes it too. Basically you brush your skin (unclothed) with a natural bristle brush in a certain pattern and then shower after. It moves lymphatic Fluid and toxins to your nodes. It's a big part of lymphatic therapy for cancer patients and for prevention. People swear that it boosts their immune system and all sorts of other goodies. cellulite reduction perk too. I feel better during the day, and it certainly can't hurt.

20140303110347lymph-flow-guide.jpg

Edited by Ava324

I use a medicine ball at home, it's 8lbs. Raise it above your head, then lower behind your head down to your neck. I've found that if I do that with anything at all it works those muscles in the back of my arms. I have lots of pudge on the backside. It's getting there....