Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating is no longer fun

Does anyone else agree that eating is no longer fun after GBP? I am finding that I am constantly being aware of when I'm getting full, focusing on chewing carefully, and cautiously swallowing so as not to swallow too much too fast. All that and I am no longer enjoying eating. It's as if it is now a chore which I dread. Couple that with watching my family eat, often going back for seconds, and I want to run screaming from the table. Will eating ever be enjoyable again? I am 3 weeks post-op and on the soft foods phase, and I widely vary my food options so as not to get bored. But it's still no fun :-(

This is normal I felt the same way and I'm almost 4 months post opt eating is a chore and I find myself woundering how do people sat that much, as well as how did I ever eat that much but it does get better over time , stay focus .

It does get better but it helps to reframe everything. The fun part could be the fact that you are sitting there with your family and enjoying conversation with them. Another fun part is how little you need to eat! I know that might sound bad but I am giddy sometimes by how little I need to eat. THat's ok for others to go get seconds if they want--seconds are not a good thing. And they probably aren't really hungry, it's just that it tastes good so they want more. You are changing that behavior and change can be uncomfortable. So, when things are uncomfortable, that's actually a good thing! You are learning to enjoy the dinner because of the people and conversation, not because of the food. food should be secondary.

You'll get there--be patient and enjoy the process, even when it's uncomfortable.

I figure that I enjoyed eating WAY TOO MUCH and I ended up needing weight loss surgery because I was killing myself while enjoying my food.

I don't ever want to get to that place again... So I am going to eat to fuel my body. I am sure I will enjoy a few bites of things here and there but that will not be my main focus.

Also... Eating as slow as I do, it's not like I will be finished first or anything. I can enjoy the company of my family who will still be eating with much larger portions.

It does feel a little like a chore because I don't ever really feel hungry. I kind of eat by the clock and just eat the amounts I'm supposed to. I don't mind eating with the family -- I was always a slow eater but it's funny now that I eat 4 ounces of something and my teen boys have each put away 2 plates of something.

It is so much harder when you're still on liquids or soft foods. When you're able to eat more normal foods, you'll probably feel more comfortable than you do now. And, as you lose more weight and see the results, you won't mind those tiny meals at all. It's all worth it!

Yep. I've been feeling this since I started on solids. I don't get any kind of enjoyment out of eating. I mean, I can tell when I'm done but there's no feeling of satisfaction or "man, that was really good" that comes with a meal anymore. It makes me kind of sad.

Now I eat to live not live to eat. I always thought that that was hokey. But now it is my reality!

I feel a loss but its being replaced by trying to be creative with what i cook & making that happy medium with my family.

To me, the fact that I'm no longer enjoying eating is the biggest key to my success. I was always a "live to eat" person rather than an "eat to live." This is a much healthier outlook for me to have. I hope it stays this way.

I am hoping this feeling never goes away.

I now have to interrupt whatever I'm enjoying to eat, but I don't get enjoyment from it like I used to and to me that is great. If I ever get back to the point where I start enjoying meals, rather than what I'm able to do between the meals, that is when I'll start to worry.

Thank you everyone for your wisdom and insight. This helps a lot to know I'm not alone in my boat, and it also really helps to get advice on different ways to think about eating. :-)

Yep. I think the enjoyment of eating is what got us all here. It is a little hard for me. I was never really addicted to food, I had other issues.

It just does seem that when I eat, it does not seem like it is what I should be able to eat. I feel it is under 1/4 cup at this time and it takes me much longer than 30 minutes before I can drink anything.

This is an issue for me because I have to eat something to be able to take my medicine and then I have to wait almost an hour and a half before I can drink anything, and by then it seems like I should be eating something again.

I feel like all day long it is a job to try and eat and drink. I def don't get the amount of fluids and Protein in that I should.

I don't care about enjoying it...I am bothered that it is such a job for me!

I feel just like this. I had surgery August 12th. I am just now supposed to be adding normal, solid foods back into my diet. However, I am finding that I am much more comfortable with liquids and very soft foods. Even when I eat very small bites, chew very thoroughly, and eat slowly, it HURTS. I vomit almost as often as when I was pregnant, and if I do manage to keep the food down, I feel nauseated for about 45 minutes after I eat. I am not going to lie, I like not wanting food, but I also miss it terribly. I love the weight loss, but I miss the enjoyment! I am such an emotional mess. I feel like all I do is count Protein and ounces of Fluid and grams of sugar. And even after losing thirty pounds, I am still having to take insulin about 2 times a week.

OK...Seriously...rant over. I know that I am in the "buyer's remorse" stage. I just am praying that as soon as I am able to officially start exercising (next week) that my mood and emotions will improve, and that I will find an outlet.

Does eating solids cause pain for anyone else?