Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just want to cry

I had sleeve surgery on 8/13. The first 10 days I lost 18lbs. From 304 to 286. The last 18 days I've lost NOTHING!

I'm getting 600-800 calories a day. 20-30 grams of fat. Under 40 carbs. 70-100 grams of Protein. 60-80 ounces of Water.

I just don't know what else to do. I'm going insane.

Edited by bitter42

I had sleeve surgery on 8/13. The first 10 days I lost 18lbs. From 304 to 286. The last 18 days I've lost NOTHING!

I'm getting 600-800 calories a day. 20-30 grams of fat. Under 40 carbs. 70-100 grams of Protein. 60-80 ounces of Water.

I just don't know what else to do. I'm going insane.

So for 18 days you lost 1.8 pounds A DAY! :)

Then your body probably said : "WHOA--wait a minute here!" :o

Take it one day at a time and do what you are supposed to do and your body will likely begin loosing again.

You didn't gain all your weight in 18 days did you? ;)

It still takes time to lose it even with weight loss surgery.

Blessings,

Kathleen

On average you should lose about a pound or two a week. That is a healthy weight loss average. There will be times when the weight doesn't budge, but stick to you diet and exercise workouts! Don't fret over daily variations. A lot of the weight you lost was probably retained water--there are a lot of calories in a pound of fat! It takes time. Don't be discouraged, we've all gone through this. It can be very emotional.

Most people complain of a "stall" 3-4 weeks post-op. Your body is getting used to the changes and the trauma it has experienced. As everyone just said, if you stick to your plan, the weight will come off. If stepping on the scale is making you crazy, stay OFF it! I weighed once every 2ish weeks only at my bariatric center. If I owned a scale, I'd get on it several times a day and go bananas.

Breathe. You got this! :)

Normal normal normal! I'm a bander but this is a post op issue. Your body is reacting to surgical stress and dietary shock. Trust the process and stay on course and trust me it WILL come off again at a good pace. The time window you're in is known for this "adjusting period" and weight loss stops for a short time.

Congratulations and good luck!

You're giving too much power to the scale...I had to stop weighing every day. My husband took the scale from me and brought it out once per week and it saved my sanity.

Your body is trying to figure out what's going on...you've been living on liquids for a while, cut back your calories by probably 70% and removed part of a major organ. It's saying, "What else are you going to throw at me!?!?"

So, settle down...if you're consuming less than 1000 calories a day, you'll lose weight. Let your body heal. Let it catch up to all the changes.

Also, instead of the scale, use pictures and measurements as a way to gauge your progress....I guarantee you will see those numbers and images change, even if your scale gives you a different impression.

Be good to yourself.

You do know that people like me who have lost massive weight (I am down about 168#) didn't do it in an organized linear fashion and that stalls are normal... right?

Hard to not get discouraged, but follow the plan, trust the process, the weight will come off!

Part of our fascination with daily weight numbers ignores the recalibration our bowel must make in adapting to new circumstances.

You probably flushed 6-15# of colon contents along with certain Fluid volume and tallied that as 'weight loss'.

Then your colon become repopulated with the return of food intake.

Not to worry.

Life is not a straight line, and obsession with wish fulfillment occupies many of us. Absent the turmoil of emotional roller coaster, I believe agitation helps burn a few extra calories, if we can avoid going crazy over anxiety & self induced depression.

Cheers on your journey.

"agitation helps burn a few extra calories"

I should be a size two by now.

Congratulations! You have reached "The Dreaded Week-3 Stall". (You may have gotten there a little early.) It's perfectly normal and just about all of us have suffered through it. You're not crazy, and your doctor didn't screw up. In fact, you might not lose any weight for two weeks or more. But don't worry -- after that, the weight will start falling off if you stick to your program. If you're interested, here's a good article that explains why it happens and why we all have to go through it. Hang in there. Pretty soon it'll be in the rear-view mirror and you'll be dropping weight like crazy!

What everyone else said above.

I'm 3 1/2 weeks out and am currently enjoying my three week stall. Happily, I knew it was coming. Not sweating it at all.

And I've lost post-op 9 pounds. So look how great you're doing. :)

I'm not in a race with anyone. :)

Why is faster better? Stop and smell the magnolias, enjoy your journey and stop beating yourself up. Haven't we all done that enough?

Thanks guys. I feel better knowing others have stalled this early and were still successful.

And this has nothing to do with speed for me. Slow and steady wins the race, and that would suit me just fine. It's more of when there's NO movement at all in weeks when it starts to get discouraging. I'd be more than happy to have a 1-2lb loss each week. I don't need a mega loss all at once.

Our bodies are strange how they react. I do weigh every day but instead of letting it frustrate me, I try to use it as motivation.

If I gain, I just use that to recommit to staying on my food plan that day, exercising... It reminds me not to slack up.

If the scale stays the same, it's the same thing -- stay on plan, exercise, drink Water...

If I lose, well, that's a happy day and I feel energized to work out even harder and feel even more committed to staying on plan.

It is absolutely impossible for you not to lose weight if you're staying on the plan your doctor ordered, taking in less calories than your body uses. I saw someone say the other day that it's not a day by day factor, it's a long term one. Water weight, sweating, needing a poo, sodium... all those things can make your weight fluctuate.

Just keep going -- you'll be fine!

It's important to note that 1-2 per week is an average. Calculate your average at the end of a month or 2. In other words, if you lost 4 pounds over the course of a month, you are on track. If not, you may be experiencing a plateau, but it will pass.