Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ex Lax, Miralax, Beneful, Metamucil, Senesomething, Activia, or what?

This has been bothering me now for several weeks, asked at the doc's and got multiple recs from them so I thought I would ask here and see if we can narrow it down.

I went from fairly regular pre surgery to going 4+ days between bowel movements (everybody's favorite topic, eh?) and when things finally move its... in a word, unpleasant.

Is anyone else in a similar position and if so, what do you use to combat the issue?

I tried beneful but it needs 3 times a day and I found that difficult to keep up so never really saw results. I just tried ex lax the last few days and that helps but its not meant to be used more than 1 week at a time, not intended as a habitual usage sort of thing.

What have people tried and what were your results?

Before surgery I used Miralax everyday and it kept me pretty regular. I am just a week out. So I haven't used it yet. I drank some prune juice last night and that worked. When I start eating more. I will go back to Miralax.

Interested in what others have found helpful as well. I tried a stool softener but like you said, it recommends up to six capsules a day. ??? Seriously, ain't nobody got time for dat.

I mix a Fiber supplement in my Protein smoothie everyday. I mix it up.....heaping teaspoon of Metamucil + heaping teaspoon benefiber OR 2 heaping spoonfuls of Suprafiber OR 1 scoop of Garden of Life Raw Fiber (this one works the best but adds a significant thick texture). I also try to eat a lot of high fiber foods and have switched from high Protein Bars to whole grain/fiber bars. The key to natural fiber for regularity is to make sure you are getting plenty of insoluble fiber, not just soluble fiber.

Even with all this, I still don't have a BM everyday. If I go two days without pooing, I take Milk of Magnesia that night and then I poo the next morning. The difference is that all the fiber at least makes my stools soft and "manageable" instead if rock hard and "ouchy".

I have been suffering from Constipation since week 3. Tried fibre pills, extra fibre, oat meals, chia seeds, Miralax, colace, milk of magnesia....was truely getting desperate. Then I read on one of these boards about prunes. Thought, well I'll give it a shot expecting nada. WELL, 4 prunes in the evening followed by a glass of hot Water 45 min later, 4 prunes in am again and VOILA! Serenity!! Have been doing this daily since Saturday (I know only a few days) but have had regular, easy poops daily since. I feel human again. :). Thank you to whomever recommended this age old remedy...yes I feel "old" but a comfy old. Good luck

Insoluable fiber is essential as part of WLS daily routing IMHO.

The Holy Shredded Wheat most necessary for my own Bowel Regularity.

Unfiltered apple cider works more wonders, if a raw apple a day isn't available.

Prune juice is a delightful addition if needed, although it's easy to 'over do' if you catch my meaning......recall the old California Prune Board poster "Start a Movement....eat Prunes".....there was reason for that.....

I've never had problem with complex fibers part of diet.

This has been bothering me now for several weeks, asked at the doc's and got multiple recs from them so I thought I would ask here and see if we can narrow it down. I went from fairly regular pre surgery to going 4+ days between bowel movements (everybody's favorite topic, eh?) and when things finally move its... in a word, unpleasant. Is anyone else in a similar position and if so, what do you use to combat the issue? I tried beneful but it needs 3 times a day and I found that difficult to keep up so never really saw results. I just tried ex lax the last few days and that helps but its not meant to be used more than 1 week at a time, not intended as a habitual usage sort of thing. What have people tried and what were your results? [/quote

Since getting the band 2 years ago most days i take Colace in the morning and Miralax in the afternoon. They are both prescriptions. Good luck

The Colace is liquid and I put it into my morning shakes. I also chew fiber gummies, 6 a day.

my doctor recommended miralax twice a day. but when it turned to diarrhea and having to go everytime I pee'd I went to once a day and than Constipation hit again. so I use ducolax 2 tabs at night and been regular since doing that. and prune juice does do the job.

good ole milk of mag works for me I take stool softeners too but not everyday. Prune juice will work but sometime too good..lol. I know I don't eat enough fiber so it's difficult to keep regular but after a few days and no bm, I get out the milk of mag.

My nut suggested bran buds. I mix it with my yogurt and have it for Breakfast. I'm back to having a BM everyday.

My doctor recommended taking 2 Colace pills a day (one in morning, one at night) and getting more Fiber. He said once I was more regular, to drop the Colace to once a day. I chew 4-5 fiber gummies a day -- which is a nice treat because gummies were always one of my favorite foods.

However, I found I had to stop taking Vitamins that contained Iron... nothing else helped. I've never been anemic (even while pregnant) and have never been able to tolerate Vitamins with Iron in them or I would get horribly constipated. My doctor is concerned about me not taking iron and I have to go get bloodwork. If it shows I'm getting anemic, we'll have to figure something out because I cannot live on stool softeners and laxatives. I don't think I'm anemic because I have so much energy and feel great, so hopefully I'm just an iron machine and won't have to supplement.

Happy to know that I am not alone with this battle. Pre-surgery I was a once a day in the morning person and it was like clock work. Now I struggle. I take softner twice a day and while it does help a bit I can sometimes go 4 days without going and when I finally do go it is painful. If I take fiber powder it makes me go but then it leads to gas pains and cramps and lots of flatulence and sometimes even diarrhea. Seems I cannot win at times and it can be down right frustrating. Sorry for the over share but if there is anything negative surrounding my weight loss it is my bathroom routine. It is not routine by a long shot.

IBS with Constipation before surgery. Miralax gassed me really bad so someone here suggested sugar free Milk of Magnesia. I got Walgreens brand, tastes awful so I put the max dosage in my morning smoothie (no pun intended) and works good

Gonna try the prune juice. Worried about reliance on stool softeners over a long period of time.