Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Generalized mid-upper Back Pain?

I've looked over forums here and done a couple searches, but not finding anyone talking about this - maybe it's me! I'm four months post-op, have gone from 276 to 212 (yay!) and I alternate days of slow jogging with whole-body weight training at my gym (I have a trainer). For the past few days i've had a generalized back pain from about my lower rib area to mid shoulder blades, and it's lousy! It hurts when I sit or stand, but not lying down so much.

I'm trying to figure out if this is due to just the usual trainer-change to my routine (not much significant changed) or maybe weight loss affecting my posture, and if so - what the heck can i do about this. Anyone??

OUCH.

Kate

I have been wondering about my back pain as well. I am in my 5th week post-surgery and my back hurts almost all the time; lower and upper. Mostly standing, and in bed. I'm wondering if it's associated with my surgery, or my normal back pain. But it's just been different since my surgery.

Back pain has many possible causes. As a retired chiropractic physician, in 32 years practice I saw many complaints with a wide variety of causes. The details you provide are too general to make any responsible professional comments with any hope of accuracy.

There are a host of practitioners of many disciplines and approaches to finding the cause and determining a remedy for your complaints.

Face to face examination is a good place to begin to find some answers.

Typically the components of such successful process begins with history, physical exam, possible lab or imaging studies, diagnosis, and options for treatment. Whether musculoskeletal in origin or some referred internal cause, there is a host of treatment options.

Cheers in your journey.

I would say that you are doing things to your body that you haven't done for years. ache and pain should be expected. but as jack says seeing your doctor is the best. at least to make sure nothing like ruptured disc's etc. hope it feels better soon.

Thanks folks - I"m planning to see the doctor if it hasn't resolved within a week. It is dull generalized pain, rather than sharp or specific to one area or muscle, so it's manageable for a few days. I'll get in next week if it's not better. Thanks!

If you start feeling a sharp knife stabbing pain under your right shoulder blade, see your doctor right away. Often, when post-op gallbladder issues pop up, the pain starts there. Other than that, whatever the cause, don't let it go too long without at least letting your primary physician know that you have some discomfort.

Weight loss surgery is a significant disruption to your body's internal systems, and the pain could just be a coincidence or something worth treating. Hopefully you can get this resolved soon so that you can have some peace of mind.

GOod to know about the Gall Bladder attack symptoms Miss Mac. Thanks! My back feels a little better today, and so I'll wait another couple days before calling for an appointment. It's likely just my body adjusting and readjusting to the increased exercise, weight loss and posture changes. I've got a massage schedule for Friday so am looking forward to that. Thanks for your help everyone!

My gallbladder issues showed up as back pain. I also went to massage for muscle pain. I agree with engaging your doctor. I have to ensure good footwear or my back is very sore. As a large busted woman, if I don't have a good supporting bra my back will be sore also

I have had my gallbladder removed, and also have back issues due to my chest size. I figured my back issues would get better with the weight loss in my chest. Maybe I just need to give it more time.

Good thoughts - thanks. I too wear good supportive shoes at all times, and have always been big busted so wear a really good bra. However, my weight loss has also been decreasing my bust size, and maybe the difference is part of the issue with my back, and I know I need a new bra too. I'd not even thought about that possibility, but will get one and see if it helps. Thanks!