Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One more can of tuna or chicken and I'm gonna puke! Need lunch ideas.

I have eaten tuna salad or chicken salad every day for the last 4 months and if I have to eat it one more day I am going to puke. I am almost 6 months out and find myself snacking on crackers because I can't stand the Protein anymore. This has slowed my weight loss down (only lost 10 pounds in the last 3 1/2 months). I don't want to fall into the trap I did before and start going out for lunch everyday. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

A lack of variety is on of the most difficult things about the post-op diet. I know how you feel. I have been doing egg salad and chicken salad. I have done some grilled cheese and some shrimp. I've also done a lot of Soups - clam chowder, chicken enchilada and some chicken noodle. And of course fish - salmon, mahi mahi, and catfish (grilled of course)!

I hate tuna so I never have it. I like canned chicken but only have it occasionally. What about cheeses, eggs, deli meats, other types of meats that you can prepare ahead and portion out for lunches, like ground beef, Italian sausage, turkey, etc?

I'm a carnivore and love meat. If I have a steak I can make three meals out if it. I don't hesitate to eat it for Breakfast if my band cooperates. Do you like hummus? That's a new favorite for me with celery or carrots.

Good luck getting out of the food rut.

With what has been said about some being sick of the same Proteins, I have decided to invest in a bariatric cook book.

One of the recipes I have seen bandied about on WLS websites is the ricotta cheese bake. I am surely going to try that. There are also so many bariatric recipes on Pinterest. Good luck. You might want to invest in a recipe book especially for WLS patients. Good luck to you in your endeavors.

Edited by Arlene G

I'm a big fan of leftovers. If I go out to dinner, I have the second half (or third, depending) for lunch the next day. Other non-cooking ideas: rotisserie chicken, refried Beans with cheese, deli meat, Protein Shake or pudding, steak, omelets. I'm lucky that I can eat most things but boredom has never been a huge issue.

I tried two crazy ideas to get away from tuna and chicken salads - canned oyster salad, and... wait for it... canned escargot. Like I said, crazy! The canned oysters with mayo and relish were truly disgusting! I heated the escargot in the office microwave with some spray butter, garlic, salt, and parsley, and believe it or not, they weren't bad. I even gave one to a workmate and she thought it was pretty good. It's something I might do once every couple of months, but I'd saute them at home and reheat them at work. I shared this mostly for a laugh, to show the extremes we'll go to to change it up a bit. Actually i find that leftovers make a great lunch -- grilled chicken breasts, homemade Soups, Beans (kidney/black/black-eyed, etc.), steak, and one that I haven't seen mentioned, Jenno-Extra Lean Turkey Ham. A hearty slice (4 oz.) cut up into cubes and dipped in my favorite mustard is 120 calories with 16 grams of Protein. And if all else fails, there's always a [shudder] Protein shake. Good luck!

"heated the escargot in the office microwave with some spray butter, garlic, salt, and parsley"

You didn't. Snails and garlic heated up at WORK?

Omg. I thought it was bad having to smell my coworker's sandwich loaded with onions every day.

Sorry. I'm on two days of liquids after a band adjustment and I'm hungry and crabby.

*drinks her Protein shake and waits for 5pm when she can have food again*

"heated the escargot in the office microwave with some spray butter, garlic, salt, and parsley"

You didn't. Snails and garlic heated up at WORK?

Omg. I thought it was bad having to smell my coworker's sandwich loaded with onions every day.

Sorry. I'm on two days of liquids after a band adjustment and I'm hungry and crabby.

*drinks her Protein shake and waits for 5pm when she can have food again*

Hah! Actually it didn't have much of a smell, at least that I could tell....

My Protein has been hamburger pattie on George Forman ( 1/2) eggs ham thick sliced with hidden valley flavored greek cream cheese rolled in it , greek yogurt and almonds

I slow cook turkey drumsticks, flavor chicken very well and have cheese. Not super exciting but it works. I had a bad reaction to seafood. I have so much in my freezer I just want to give away but it's hard to explain handing out frozen foods.

I have frozen dinners for lunch. Lean cuisine, Atkins, Weight Watchers Smart Ones. A different one every day. They are approved on my plan and its cheaper for five in a week than one lunch out. I may not eat the entire thing, but the convenience is great.

If you like lunch meats, why not do a roll up with a piece of ham and swiss or turkey and cheddar? They are super easy for when you are on the go. If you cook something for dinner like a roast chicken, make yourself your own TV dinner for the next day.

Thank you all for the suggestions! Many of the things noted here I have tried for dinner. I guess I just need to plan better for lunch. Running out to get my escargot and oysters now! LOL NOT!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all for the suggestions! Many of the things noted here I have tried for dinner. I guess I just need to plan better for lunch. Running out to get my escargot and oysters now! LOL NOT!!!!!!!!!

Hah! Love it!!!

I never plan in advance for lunch. I'm just not that organized! Lately I have been eating P3s for lunch. They are in the lunch able section. They have 3 proteins......turkey/ham/chicken bites, almonds or cashews, and cheese bites. They are the perfect amount of food with 14 g of Protein. And best of all...easy to grab as your running out the door!