Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My name is Ken C. during the summer of 2012, I went my doctor's appointment to get a routine physical. I hadn't had a physical in years because I didn't have health insurance and plus I knew my health was horrible. A week before my wedding the doctor weighed me at 525 LBS. I knew I was obese but not in the half ton league! I was devastated. My doctor Carol asked me if I was happy with myself. She pointed out to me that I was becoming someone's husband and someday someone's father. She asked me if I wanted to be around for that. "Of course," I answered back. She told me that for someone my size, it was sort of miraculous that I lead such an active life and somehow avoided high blood pressure and Diabetes. She suggested getting into a program to get gastric bypass. Two years later, a divorce, and minus 85 LBS, I was finally on my way to getting the surgery I had worked so hard for. There were days when I wanted to quit the program. I got so frustrated waiting on a decision that I wanted to reject them before they could reject me. On the morning of my surgery I weighed 442 LBS. My best friend Ally was there for support and God knows I needed it. I was so nervous. I kept thinking to myself "life is going to be so different after today" I wanted to say I changed my mind. I wanted to put my clothes back on and leave but luckily having so much support there with me I kept my fear from getting the best of me. When they wheeled me into surgery, I was almost ready to cry. I had never had surgery before and I was worried about being put under anesthesia. To my great relief, I woke up in recovery. I said some pretty goofy things to Ally after waking up. I woke up with the worst gas pain ever. The nurse brought me to my room soon there after. Moments after arriving, I went for a small walk which helped with the gas pain. After I got back to the room, I decided that I was going to carry through with a promise I made myself earlier that day. Saint Vincent's has a gorgeous waterfall in its front corridors. I promised myself I would walk there if possible. They told me I'd but up and walking around so I decided to push myself a little. It took me about 15 minutes but I made it to the waterfall. The hospital had almost a beauty to it at night with all the lights and the sound of Water. It was a great place for me to heal. When I made it back to my room once again, the nurses were panicked because i had gone missing for a half hour. I apologized an told them I went for a nice walk around the hospital. They almost didn't believe me but I insisted that I had just come from the waterfall. I left the hospital after two days. I had a little pain but it was so small that I never used the pain medication given to me. Literally, once I got home I went for a walk and then drove to the movies. I never lost any of my freedom really except of course the ability to eat anything. If you're almost ready to have the surgery I recommend you get into the same mindset I did. This surgery is a gift at a better life. Don't take it for granted. Its been a little over 30 days now and I'm down 64 LBS. My clothes are beginning to look large and baggy on me. My sister the other night told me I looked amazing. I still want to drop another 140 LBS but I'm already so thrilled with my results. I have my moments where I wish I could stuff my face but those usually tend to go away after commonsense kicks back in. I'm excited to see how I'll feel in another month or so. I would love to replicate these results but part of me knows better. Realistically it would be amazing to lose another 40 LBS by the end of the month. I wonder what I'll look like at 339 LBS. Wait and see. Good luck everyone.

Edited by Stoler42

Good for you! It takes courage to change.

Congrats Ken. You are doing great.I don't want to take away from your story. I will tell you about my fabulous journey you are just starting to enjoy. May 2013. Went to the Dr. For a physical. Weight. 488. BP190/120 sleep apnea. High cholesterol. Type 2 diabetes. Put on many meds. Etc. Was so ashamed of where I was. Started my 6 month insurance required program. June 15th 2013 joined the YMCA. Pool was and is my best friend. After 6 months of Dr. Visits. Psych eval. Was approved for surgery just after Thanksgiving. Got the last possible date for my surgery. Dec 26th. Merry Christmas to me.day of surgery. 423 lbs. I was ecstatic with 65 lbs. Lost. Could have been better. Surgical team was happy.fast forward today I weigh 253 lbs. Yes that is 235 lbs gone. 170 in less than 8 months. Last blood draw. A1C. 5.1 glucose average 87. Cholesterol 177. BP 126/60. No sleep apnea. Off all meds. Only have to take Vitamins. Dr. Had an app. 3.3% chance of heart disease. Added 20 yrs to my life. Where I am going with this. I still use the pool almost every day. Walk 6 plus miles a day. I can't wait for sept 26th. 9 month check up. This is n amazing journey. Oh yeah. Meet the love of my life thru this website. She had the surgery July 2013. Has lost over 140 lbs. She is my rock. What a great support system. Ken you can reach for the stars. Keep up the great work. Don't ever give up. God bless!!

Thanks for all the positve feedback everyone. Pat that's incredible. I was hoping for someone to help me with a timeline. I want to be around where you are in that amount of time. Also, I was touched to read you met someone wonderful on here. I said I wouldn't get back out there until my health was under control. Still, it would be nice to meet someone special that's been there.

Thanks for sharing your story. It's amazing at how far you've come. I read your story and know that there is life after surgery. I'm scheduled for 9/15/14..and get nervous because it's my first surgery and the idea of going under freaks me out a little bit

I know it's scary but it's better the younger you are. You just have to get past one cliff before you get to the top of the mountain. Believe me I know it's scary but you're body has already worked so hard to get you to this point. Trust yourself that you will make it through. Have someone close to you see you off so you have someone to focus on coming back to.

Thanks for sharing your story. It's amazing at how far you've come. I read your story and know that there is life after surgery. I'm scheduled for 9/15/14..and get nervous because it's my first surgery and the idea of going under freaks me out a little bit

Even if I had surgery before I was very and anxious nervous. I asked God to please bring me back to my 16 year old son, and he did. I'm not afraid of dying, but the thought of my baby not having me gave me the most anxiety. Try not to freak out too much. I know, easier said than done. They take every precaution before and during surgery to ensure that you are safe. Also, ask for some pre medication before going into the ER. I asked for a valium and was given one. I remember my iv in my arm, then I was waking up. Peace and blessings.

Very courageous story!! Thank you for sharing! Keep up the good work! :)

In case you haven't been congratulated enough today, "WOW! Chin up, and always remember if you loose 40 pounds or 10 pounds, you are loosing and not gaining, that in itself is something to be proud of.

Thanks for sharing!! U are so right about this being a gift and that it shouldn't be taken for granted! You don't know how much for story and words helped me today!! Thank u

Thank u for sharing your story, I am pre op and struggling after a denial of insurance. Your story is exactly what I needed to read today. Keep on going. You should be so very proud of urself!

Thanks for sharing your story. Your zeal and progress thus far made me tear up. This is definitely not a sprint. It takes time to deal with all the issues and weight so that you can become a healthier and happier version of yourself! Your doing awesome! All the best @@Stoler42 :)

What AMAZING stories you'll have shared with us. Keep on Keeping on. It all sounds great, but I am petrified of all of this, still in my 6 month supervised weight loss and it will soon be over and I guess I am just letting nerves get the best of me.