Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's talk about NSAIDs

Ok let's talk pain! I know this has probably been asked to death but with new improvements in the medical field I thought I'd Ask again.

I'm still in a lot of pain and while the narcotic + Tylenol pain reliever I was prescribed helps a bit I'm still left in more pain than I think is wise. And I honestly don't feel comfortable asking for a refil since I'm nearly out. Tylenol alone does nothing for me and I know (for me) the only thing that helps this kind of pain is NSAIDs. Of course, we all know we're not suppose to take those because it irritates the stomach.

So I want to delve a little more into this. Are we not aloud to take ANY form of NSAID?

-Is it only pill form that irritates the stomach and is a no no?

-what about tordal shots which goes in intramuscularly and doesn't touch the stomach.

- what about children's liquid ibuprophen?

- is there an oral dissolvable form of NSAID that we can take?

Note: I'm not asking for medical advice, I fully plan on speaking with my dr about it, BUT I believe in being well informed before talking to a dr and that's where all of your input comes in. So I would appreciate hearing about your experiences with NSAIDs.

My surgery is tomorrow at noon but, I filled my RX today and it was for Norco.

I had gotten liquid roxicet (oxycodone + Tylenol) but it's nearly gone. Norco is great but I'm looking for a non narcotic alternative.

That's good to know. The one time I got tordal I didn't do well but it's nice to know if push came to shove I could get it.

I suffer from knee pain, one knee is bone on bone and the only pain reliever that helps me is Aleve. When I asked my surgeon about NSAIDS, he said they are okay with the sleeve. It is with the bypass that NSAIDS are not recommended. Check with your surgeon, but my surgery was 8 months ago and I have not had a problem taking Aleve every day. Good luck.

I suffer from knee pain, one knee is bone on bone and the only pain reliever that helps me is Aleve. When I asked my surgeon about NSAIDS, he said they are okay with the sleeve. It is with the bypass that NSAIDS are not recommended. Check with your surgeon, but my surgery was 8 months ago and I have not had a problem taking Aleve every day. Good luck.

That's really good to know! My surgeons office staff told me absolutely no NSAIDs for life. But I wonder if she said that because she had the bypass done. I can't exactly ask the surgeon now cause all calls go straight to her, But I'll ask during my two week follow up. Thanks!

After 1 month post-op, I was released to eat full foods. That's when I started taking NSAIDs again. I started off slowly by trying one 200mg tablet. I didn't have any problems other than a little heartburn. Since then I've taken any pain reliever I want - NSAIDs, Ibuprofen, Excedrine, Asprin and combinations of all of them. I've even taken some PMS stuff in my office medicine cabinet. :rolleyes: What can I say? My knee was hurting and nothing was working. I was ready to try anything in the cabinet. :blink:

After 1 month post-op, I was released to eat full foods. That's when I started taking NSAIDs again. I started off slowly by trying one 200mg tablet. I didn't have any problems other than a little heartburn. Since then I've taken any pain reliever I want - NSAIDs, Ibuprofen, Excedrine, Asprin and combinations of all of them. I've even taken some PMS stuff in my office medicine cabinet. :rolleyes: What can I say? My knee was hurting and nothing was working. I was ready to try anything in the cabinet. :blink:

Dd your surgeon say it was ok for you to take NSAIDs ? Or did you just start taking it on your own?

The reason we are not supposed to take NSAIDS is because of their risk of causing ulcers. With our teeny sleeves, an ulcer would be that much more dangerous to deal with and treat. It doesn't matter if it's administered orally, IV or sublingual. The systemic action of NSAIDS that relieve pain and inflammation is the same mechanism that causes ulcers...

"NSAIDs work by inhibiting two enzymes, substances that cause chemical changes in the body, called COX-1 and COX-2. Both enzymes produce prostaglandins—chemicals produced in the body's cells—that promote pain, inflammation, and fever.

However, unlike COX-2, COX-1 produces another type of prostaglandin that protects the stomach lining from stomach acid and helps control bleeding. By inhibiting COX-1, NSAIDs increase the risk of a peptic ulcer developing and bleeding.

Many people have come to rely on NSAIDs. Some take the smallest possible dose of aspirin once a day to keep their heart healthy. Others take NSAIDs throughout the day to reduce pain and inflammation. As with all medicines, NSAIDs offer many benefits, while also carrying some risks.

Doctors and patients work together to weigh the benefits and risks of using NSAIDs, even when NSAIDs have caused an ulcer. Patients who stop taking an NSAID at their doctor's request may want to resume use once they feel better. In other patients, the benefits of taking an NSAID outweigh the risks. In such cases, the doctor works with the patient to determine how an NSAID can be safely continued.

Whether deciding to resume or continue using NSAIDs, patients should tell their doctor about all prescription and nonprescription medicines they take. The doctor then decides if the patient can safely use an NSAID that caused an ulcer or should switch to a different NSAID. In either case, the doctor prescribes a PPI or H2 blocker to protect the stomach and duodenal lining and promote healing.

People with a current or resolved NSAID-induced ulcer who need the benefits of NSAIDs can promote healing and reduce the risk of ulcer recurrence by.....

taking the NSAID with a meal

using the lowest effective dose possible

quitting smoking

avoiding or limiting alcohol

Peptic ulcers can return, however, even when patients have been careful to reduce their risk."

That being said, my surgeon actually sends his patients home with a 5 day supply of a sublingual NSAID. It's the only pain med he Rx's postop. He explained the benefit of reducing inflammation at the incision sites and in the new sleeve outweigh the risk of ulcers. Especially since it's short term and we are taking a PPI at the same time. I had so little pain I actually only took them for 2 days, so I have extra on hand if I need them for back aches, knee pain, etc.

(And as a side note, so you don't take NSAID warnings lightly, aspirin is SO good at causing ulcers, they actually used to administer aspirin to induce ulcers when researching ulcer treatments)

Heres a link to a good article about NSAIDS....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3251190/

I've actually had 3 friends have severe allergic reactions to NSAIDS. they've taken them for years for various aches and pains, just like all of us. Then, out of the blue, with no warning, had severe reactions that sent them to the ER. One actually had his heart stop in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. They absolutely can never ever take NSAIDS again.

My doc prescribed dilaudid since I'm allergic to percocet. I was assuming Vicodin would be all if need, so we will see how dilaudid works

I received a toradol shot after my pain pump,was disconnected and it wasn't time for my liquid medicine yet so in between they did give me some toradol.

@@snowkitten, how did your appt go today and how are you feeling?

Haha bittersweet your gonna keep me accountable huh? I just got through seeing the surgeon, he thought the swelling was weird too. He's testing me for cdiff and having me get a CT scan. He's worried about a leak or abscess. I'll update more when I know more. Thanks for caring enough to ask