Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else need a TARDIS?

My vsg is scheduled for Sept 22 and I'm terrified. I wish I could skip ahead by 6 months and be on the other side of surgery... Which is why I need a TARDIS! I've had back surgery and a c-section....and both were successful and difficult. I've passed every test with flying colors, including the psych eval - and I know why I'm doing this - I just wish I could get psyched up... Anyone else feel this way? I think I'm psyching myself out actually. Yikes.

This may be way off the mark...but maybe you are kind of going through the grief stages for the you you are or the life you are leaving behind...I'll bet that by the time the 20th or 21st rolls around you will be where you want to be emotionally...

I'd love to have a TARDIS! That way, I could visit myself in 2015 and have a preview of the new me. (Yes, I know fellow Whovians, it's against the rules to interact with your future self.)

I'm still not 100% confident that I am doing things right or that I will be able to maintain my new, healthier lifestyle. I want to tell my future self to stay the course.

But since we have to go through things one step at a time, we should trust that our preparations and determination will carry us through -- your surgery and post-op period, my long term health goals. And let's remember to reach out to others when we need support.

Edited by IcanMakeit

Oh.... It would be fantastic to just skip ahead. LOL

I have no doubt that I can do this, I just hope that I will do it w/out complications.

Enjoy the journey.

That's where the learning is.

:)

My vsg is scheduled for Sept 22 and I'm terrified. I wish I could skip ahead by 6 months and be on the other side of surgery... Which is why I need a TARDIS! I've had back surgery and a c-section....and both were successful and difficult. I've passed every test with flying colors, including the psych eval - and I know why I'm doing this - I just wish I could get psyched up... Anyone else feel this way? I think I'm psyching myself out actually. Yikes.

I just came from a gastric band/sleeve support group over an hour from my home. I try to attend this meeting every month because of the unbelievable success stories in that room and being able to listen to WLS patients who are 10 and 15 years out. I don't talk because it's not for LapBand (they have their own meeting but I can't get there on time) but I don't have to talk. I just sit there and soak up the success.

You will be amazed at the changes in your life only a few short weeks after surgery. Once the pounds start coming off, everything improves.

I think that the nervousness shows that you really have thought this through and are going in with realistic expectations. You will be fine. We do grieve our former life and coping mechanisms even though we desperately want to give them up.

No matter what hiccups or bumps in the road we each encounter, the big picture is what is important. My LapBand saved my life. Not just physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. I'm a new person and I'm just starting to discover what I can do.

Be nervous but do it anyway! It's all good!

Edited by JustWatchMe

I'd be happy just to jump 2 months ahead and be past the first couple of weeks after my surgery. I want to be there to enjoy every minute of the losing!

JWM

I so agree about the support group. I find them so inspirational! No lap banders in my group yet tho 2 have signed up.

I'm thinking I was all brave though nervous before surgery. And thrilled to be on the other side. Have not regretted it for a day. And it has been years and years. I would do it again in a heartbeat! Good luck

Right there with you. My surgery is scheduled for 9/18 and I'd love to fast forward just a little bit. I keep bouncing between being excited, anxious and just a little scared. Kind of glad I've got work and 2 little kiddos to keep me busy!

I'd even take the TARDIS for 2 weeks after the surgery. I've never been under genral anesthesia, nor had stitches or ever had to stay in a hospital bed. I am in slight freak out mode and expect to be in full freak out mode in the next few days

I'd even take the TARDIS for 2 weeks after the surgery. I've never been under genral anesthesia, nor had stitches or ever had to stay in a hospital bed. I am in slight freak out mode and expect to be in full freak out mode in the next few days

Totally feel you on that. The only thing to worry about with the hospital bed is how damned uncomfortable they are. :P It wouldn't kill them to put a *little* more padding on them.

Had to look up what a Tardis actually is........However, I think you actually missed one point about time travel........If you travel in time to the future to - as you put it - skip ahead after the surgery......then you have to consider that you wouldn't have actually gone thru the time and effort to actually heal from the surgery or lose any weight....... :huh:

.So you'd only be in the future at the same weight and person that you are now..... :unsure:

See..........ya just can't escape it......ya gotta live it....and experience the journey and the change. Good luck, you'll do just fine. ;)

Edited by Recycled

You are rightfully nervous as you are embarking on a life changing event. The surgery itself is a "temporary" worry. Most of us get through it with minimal and very temporary discomfort and woes. The hard work and rewards are the weeks, months and years that follow it. I argue if you weren't a bit nervous then you clearly have no idea what a major endeavor you are taking on!

I will be 3 years out come December - one of the best decisions I could have made for myself!

I'm so nervous, anxious as well!!!!! Ugh!!! I also am flying from FL to IL 3 wks and 2 days post op for a 2 week stay and I'm freaking out about that as well. OMG!!!

Hello sweetie! (I am a giant nerd)

If I had a TARDIS I'd be hanging out with River Song making the Daleks regret they met us. LOL

Now I'll put my nerd aside and say I totally agree with you. At over two months out I get that way. Then my husband reminds me that most people can't lose what I have in a year. Baby steps. Now and focus on what you will be able to do after. That's what kept me from getting myself all frazzled.