Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

employment opportunities?

Hi, my surgery will be on Oct 1st! Yay! I have a question for you postops. Did you find better employment opportunities/promotions after significant weightloss? And do you attribute it to weight loss or attitude? thanks

My weight loss is recent and I've been at my job for 25 years, but I can tell you that (having lost lbs. in the past & gaining it all back) my attitude always improved when I felt better, looked better and had more confidence in myself. I would think that if a hiring boss had two candidates off the street with qualifications/attitude being equal, they'd tend to lean toward hiring the more fit person... It may be unfair but its not wrong to assume that in many cases the more fit person has more self control & awareness. Also cannot discount the fact that we live in a very superficial society that places looks & appearance way too high on the priority list. In any event, I would say that ANYONE would have a better shot at promotion/employment if they're attitude & confidence is high - in tandem with being more physically appealing.

Edited by UPnDOWNinNY

I did get a promotion about 4 months in, but it was something I'd been working on pre-op. I've found that with the weight loss comes greater confidence that spills into all areas of my life, work, and social situations. I'm much more inclined to ask for what I want these days, (and get it)!

I'm stuck at a dead end job and havent had any luck finding anything else. I suspect my appearance, and yeah I could be more confident. Once I lose weight we shall see

Weight loss or attitude.

I believe it's both. Employers see a confident healthy candidate. A person that would represent their organization well within the working world and outwardly to the public. It is society's perceptions. Unfortunately most of us have been marginalized because of weight issues.

I'm 5 months out. I have placed a few applications out for employment. Funny, I'm looking forward to interviews for the first time in my life. I need a fresh start where people don't know I was morbidly obese. Crossing my fingers for a new career.

I got so fed up with my crappy job in September. I quit it, with no job in the pipeline. I was absolutely miserable. Like, every day at 5:30 I would be sad because I knew the next day I would have to go back to that shitty hellhole. I've been temping since then. I think at 220 I'm getting more opportunities and hits than I did at 312.

While I personally haven't experienced a promotion due to my looks, I do believe I am a better employee and more opportunities are presented to me because I have more energy. My classroom used to be a mess and I don't feel like I was good of a teacher because I was tired all the time.

I also felt really unattractive because I had a hard time finding clothes. Maybe I was shopping at all the wrong places, but most of the clothes I found in my size looked matronly, fit weird (ie: the arms holes were too tight) or were really expensive.

Now I have so much more energy. Don't get me wrong, there are still days when I'm so tired I hit the couch the second I get home and am knocked out for hours, but that happens once every 2 - 3 weeks, instead of everyday. Since my brain isn't all fuzzy from the lack of energy and sleep (I had mild obstructive sleep apnea and doctor said I used to wake up 25 - 30 times an hour!) I'm more organized at work and able to give my all to the kids.

While I do have a mild case of body dysmorphia, I do feel more attractive and getting dressed for work is no longer a struggle because now that more things fit, I can shop pretty much anywhere. So instead of having about 10 outfits I actually felt good in and 30 outfits that were too tight/I didn't feel good in, I now have a closet full of clothes that I like each and every one of.

Because I feel good about how I look, I am more positive and upbeat. Having a more positive attitude and upbeat outlook means I've been asked to participate in more things and I've also come up with a few great projects that got my supervisor's attention. I think if I'd done the same things heavier, I'd have had the same results. It just wasn't physically possible back then

Edited by Comfy_Blue

This is going to interesting for me when I go back into the work force. I have been on disability because of my knees. I am having the WLS surgery sometime in December so with knee surgery following its unpredictable when I'll return to work. If I go past the one year mark I would have to re-apply at my job if there is any thing. If I return before the one year mark they have to have something in my department. With this weight loss upon me I should not have problems going back because I think I will feel better about myself with confidence. One thing at a time and I will worry about this when the time comes. Now it's all about me :)

Edited by bellabill