Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ever feel like this process is one big test?

After finally fulfilling all of my requirements, I am now waiting on medical clearance and insurance approval. This whole pre-op time has been so nerve-racking. I laid awake last night thinking up 100 reasons why they might deny me clearance or insurance approval (though none of them are really valid, LOL - but they sounded quite possible at 3 am.) I keep second guessing my answers to the pysch exam, wondering what little piece on information might be missing or written wrong in my chart, worrying that the insurance lady will have screwed up somehow and that they will somehow only give me this one shot to submit things. Arrrrggghhh!! :wacko:

Having to wait extra time because of the holiday weekend didn't help either. From what I understand, the surgeon is already scheduling 6-8 weeks out, so I will likely have a lot longer to wait. Anyone else feel like this whole process is a test of our mental, physical & emotional fortitude? If we pass this test with sanity intact, maybe it will mean the rest of the ride will be a piece of cake. :D

I have been in the process of making this surgery happen for an entire year... thought I had all my ducks in a row twice (once around Thanksgiving 2013 and once around March 1st 2014), both of which did not happen for various reasons. Needless to say I was pretty sad when it didn't happen, but I kept doing what I was supposed to and here I am with an appointment to see my surgeon on 9-11-14, at which time I have been told he will give me a surgery date. I'm afraid to get excited, because I have been let down twice before... This is the second time I have quit smoking to have this surgery (and this time is the last :) ). I firmly believe that we are tested on a regular basis, and everything happens for a reason and when it is supposed to...

My 6 month process turned into 11 months 11 very long months lol and right up until I passed out heading in to the operating room I was waiting for something to happen not letting me my surgery thankfully nothing did but I can say the whole pre op process is a very hard trying time.. your almost there keep positive and good luck!!

From the time that I decided to undergo Bariatric Surgery until the surgery took place was about a year. My insurance required a 6 month medically supervised weight loss program. But then even though they required it as a prerequisite for surgery approval, they refused to pay for these doctor visits. What was even stranger is that they paid for every other visit. It made no logic to me. The insurance said that they made a mistake by paying for every other visit but they would not ask me for the money back. So indeed it felt like a test. It felt like if I was really serious then I would have to financially put up with this. It seemed like their way of trying to discourage me from going forward.

More frustration: I got a letter back from the insurance company already (it was only submitted Thursday) but they apparently didn't get even half of the stuff my doctor's office was supposed to send! So now I am trying to get ahold of them to get all the rest of my documentation in their hands so they can approve it. I was surprised to get a response so quickly - I held my breath as I opened the letter, thinking "Dare I believe it could be approved already?!" Ha. Oh well, wishful thinking and another few sleepless nights.

Still no word on whether or not my doctor has approved medical clearance either. There was a week delay already because they had misplaced one little piece of paper in my chart. Very frustrating.

Finally got word that I do have medical clearance and confirmation that everything required by insurance has been submitted. Now I just wait.

<p>Finally got word that I do have medical clearance and confirmation that everything required by insurance has been submitted. Now I just wait. </p>

. Good luck!!!!!! I will be sending u twinkles :)

It does seem that it takes forever this waiting is so hard I just want to get moving with this journey

Keep your head up and try to be patient. I know its easier said than done though. I have been working on this for a year with my mom. She had surgery almost four months ago while I got denied by insurance and spent three months fighting with them to appeal. While she was in the operating room I was writing my appeal letter while I waited. I was very very annoying and persistent with them and I think they finally just approved it so I stopped calling them every day. My surgery is scheduled for September 22nd and I just started my preop diet yesterday. Its very very nerve racking but will be soooo worth it.

This is a test. I am confenced that the insurance companies do this so we will give up and I have. I have a surgery date and I have found financing, but in the mean time I am still trying to make my insurance pay for it. I am not going to lose my liver because the insurance wants to wait for a year before I can have surgery.

Peace,

Laura