Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Curiosity question on Diets after gastric sleeve

You see so many different diets and suggestions on here from all over. Doctors and nutritionist giving so many different directions on the diets. I am just curious how many ate carbs after the surgery and still lost the weight.

I am not on a diet. I am on a program that is to last me the rest of my life. I failed miserably at diets and so I don't do them anymore.

I eat everything. Just not so much. I eat the same food my husband does but eat it in this order. Protein first, veggies, fruit and then carbs.

If I am going to eat carbs I make sure the are a complex carb so that I get the best value. I have never counted calories. But have tried to make sure I drank my Water. Took my Vitamins and got 60-80 gm of Protein in a day.

I eat like a skinny person and plan to continue that way.

My nut said that we live in the real world and that we better learn how to eat in that world as well. I have taken her advice and run with it. If I want a cookie I eat one. Not the box. That is the difference. :)

Thank you for taking time to respond. I agree it is a program, but diet is used the most on here. It is one that so far, though I a very new, not having a hard time adjusting to. . Like your nutritionist agrees you can eat everything others state differently. Again just curious on what everyone is following.

Edited by Ree224

I keep my carbs low but not as low as some. I very rarely eat anything with grains, or starchy veg such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, or peas. I do eat green veggies, dairy, and small amounts of fruit -- usually lower carb fruit but sometimes I will have 1/3 of a banana sliced up in my yogurt, something like that.

I aim for 25% of my calories from carbs, but sometimes go a bit over. I don't stress about it when I do, since the sources of my carbs are healthy and I don't go over by much.

For a while I was on a more liberal eating plan that included whole grains, sweet potatoes, etc. I found my weight loss came to a halt, I was craving sweets and junk food, and I was much less satisfied with the size of my meals. So I am back to low(er) carbing it.

Read this article yesterday about eating low carb and how it seems to help with weight loss - interesting stuff! At least to me.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/health/low-carb-vs-low-fat-diet.html

Good article, Bufflehead! I'm only 10 weeks post-surgery, but I've made an effort to stay away from carbs. A little fruit, here and there, but no starches. BTW, I asked my surgeon about sweet potatoes. He agreed that they are "superfoods", but said that for purposes of this program, they're better avoided. They may have great nutrients, but they're still starches.

My philosophy is that the longer I can avoid anything that turns to sugar in my body, the less likely I'll be to crave sweets and the carb boost. I'm going to try and ride this to my goal and hope that my body will decide that it likes its new weight and wants to stay there. Hopefully by the time I get to goal, I will have internalized the self control necessary to avoid making less than optimal choices. At that point, I'll begin introducing more "normal" habits. I also recognize that somehow along this journey, I'm going to have to increase my caloric intake from the current 700-800 to a more reasonable 1200-1300 per day. I'm a little scared of that because I don't know where those extra calories are going to come from that won't harm my program.

RJ, it sounds like you're already there. Congratulations on making your goal, and on two years post-surgery! I hope to follow in your footsteps and be able to join the "real world" eventually. But for now, I need to stick to the safer route.

What exactly is the safer route? @@Rogofulm Celery and carrot sticks? This program has many intricate parts and if you don't realize that WLS is a tool and not a diet to get your weight off and then return to your old ways.Then you misread me.

It is a tool that gives you time to fix whatever is wrong with your thinking and why you use food as a comfort. It also gives you the time to learn new eating habits like using whole grains, fruit, nuts utilizing vegetables and lean meats and spices. Learning how to eat healthier without going back to your old ways of eating.

Learning your trigger foods and weaknesses. What your weaknesses are and fixing your attitude and feelings. Knowing quality of food and eating the best. Not living on Mac and cheese. Living in the real world is exercising and getting your mind set to understand that we must eat to live not live to eat. Switching ourselves over to better habits and taking our time to eat. Moderation and balance is what we need to learn. Not mass!

To say that being on a diet is safe. I disagree. They failed me and I will never see them as a positive thing for anyone. Failed diets are the reason so many suffer from weight gain in the first place. Not learning to eat properly and with moderation. With a diet we deny ourselves and soon we get tired of that and start to slip back into our old ways. We have to learn how to handle eating at various times and not use food as a celebration factor. We have to open ourselves up to be honest with ourselves and learn what makes us tick and change the things that made us get where we are.

We need to learn how to Celebrate things other ways as well as our accomplishments. It is not an easy road if it was then 30 % would not fail. And why do a majority of that 30 % fail....Because they did not fix their brain and treated this as a diet like all the others. It became to hard to do and they were not able to change permanently.

That is the path ahead of all of us when we have surgery. A work in progress. A change in life. The way we think, feel and know things differently then we did before. That is the goal of WLS. Not dieting!

Just wanted to clear my comments up...... ( no one was hurt in the writing of this comment ) LOL

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

I eat everything I like in very small quantities. I don't look at it as a "diet". At. All. I manage my quantities, keep an accurate food\exercise diary, choose Protein first, getting at least 75g per day, exercise 5x per week and take my Vitamins. I eat carbs, but I make sure to work them into my day around the Protein and exercise in such a way that I am successful. I'm 11 months out and have been in maintenance for the last 6 weeks, holding at 3 pounds below goal so I've found a management strategy that works for me. Others eliminate "trigger foods" from their diet entirely. That works for them. For me, coming from a place of, "I can't have that", makes me crave it more. I'm thrilled that I've found a way to stay in control and eat like a thin person who gets to have it all in moderation. This has been the sweetest freedom and the best gift ever!

Edited by bikrchk

I keep my carbs fairly low other than my first two meals after a work out. I keep my Protein faily high all time, but my first 2 meals after a work out, I'll cut the fats a little and increase the carbs in the form of oats, lots of veggies, Beans, quinoa, brown rice, etc. These 2 higher complex carb meals are usually lunch and dinner for me since I work out at noon. Then back to low carb snack at night and for Breakfast.....and low carb on Sundays as well since that's a rest day for this old man. :)

I eat everything I like in very small quantities. I don't look at it as a "diet". At. All. I manage my quantities, keep an accurate food\exercise diary, choose Protein first, getting at least 75g per day, exercise 5x per week and take my Vitamins. I eat carbs, but I make sure to work them into my day around the Protein and exercise in such a way that I am successful. I'm 11 months out and have been in maintenance for the last 6 weeks, holding at 3 pounds below goal so I've found a management strategy that works for me. Others eliminate "trigger foods" from their diet entirely. That works for them. For me, coming from a place of, "I can't have that", makes me crave it more. I'm thrilled that I've found a way to stay in control and eat like a thin person who gets to have it all in moderation. This has been the sweetest freedom and the best gift ever!

I've been in this mindset since my lapband in 2009 and more recently, 13 mths post op sleeve revision. I'm now 11 lbs from goal. Losing extremely slowly - I know I could speed things up by "dieting" or eating low-carb, but I'm done dieting. I will get there someday. For now, I'm happy in my size 8's - eating potatoes, bread, and an occasional (READ OCCASIONAL) cookie. If I never lose another lb, I'm happy with my loss.

While I totally understand those that watch calories and carbs, some people can't eat 1 cookie or they'll eat the whole pkg (my husband is one of them) - I can eat just 1 cookie. My blood sugar is perfect, my bp and cholesterol r good, and I'm happy eating whatever I want. I just eat MUCH, MUCH less of it. IE: I can eat 1/3 of an in and out cheeseburger, 1 Del Taco soft taco, 1 pc of thin crust pizza, 1 cookie.

I have found tho that now that I'm 13 mths out, I can eat a little more. Have to start watching my portion sizes in the future. Otherwise I guess I'll hafta cave in and diet. Someday. Not anytime soon tho!

I don't measure my portions or track calories, carbs or fat. I pay attention to making sure I get at least 64oz of Water and I have a 30-40g Protein shake everyday. Other than that I just eat smart and healthy.....protein, veggies, fruit and whole grains. I eat when I'm hungry and just until satisfied, not full.

Like RJ, I have never thought of postop as a diet. I had surgery so I don't have to ever be on a diet ever again. I now eat like a "normal" thin person. I make smart choices, but If I want dessert, I have dessert. If I want a cocktail, I have one, if I want a pancake with butter and Syrup, I have it....just everything in moderation. So far at 8 months postop, I am finding that this is definitely a lifestyle I can live with.

Edited by Kindle

Diet is a relative term, and it always seems to invoke some pretty strong feelings on BP. It's semantics, really. I do use the term "diet" like a noun, as in referring to the American diet, or my diet includes fruit, and also like a verb, as in "on a diet".

I'm one who is on a diet for life. It's also an eating plan. A program. A new way of life. Call it what you want, but I pay attention to what I'm putting in my mouth. Not paying attention is what got me to super morbid obesity;

I eat around 900 calories, low carb (some carbs from fruit) to lose weight, and around 1300 to maintain. I also will digress once in a while, and I allow myself a day to not think about it once in a while, but the main thing is always get right back on track. I can't ever lose site of my goal. There is no once size fits all, and it's important to figure out what works for us as individuals.

I agree with everything you said, and that is my long-term goal. Right now I'm 10 weeks from surgery, so I'm still in the learning phase, and will be for some time. For now, my "safer route" does not include carbs. I know they will come in time, but my very limited capacity doesn't allow room for them. And since I'm not missing them, why would I want them? For example, last night for dinner I ate 4 ounces of grilled chicken breast, and 2 small stalks of broccoli. And the last bite of chicken came back up. Where would I put any other food? And again, since I'm not missing the carbs, I don't need to go looking for them. Gradually, I know I'll reintroduce more variety - in moderation. I've been to many parties and on a two week vacation in the past couple of months, and was never tempted to stray. Again, I know this will get harder, but I'm going to enjoy my "honeymoon" as long as possible -- including through the holidays! So by the time I make goal, my head will be completely in the right place for the long haul. I exercise 6x per week and stay involved with this forum. I even go to support group meetings a couple of times a month - not because I feel a need for them just now, but just as another piece of my program. I'm determined not to be one of the 30% that fail in this.

Thanks for the advice! And congratulations on reaching, and maintaining your goal!

Edited by Rogofulm

Thank you all for your responses. I do appreciate everyone taking time to reply. I find it all interesting to see the differences between all. How much has everyone lost following there "diet" "program" , etc?

I started out like RJ described but after I list about 120-130 I needed to get stricter on carbs to get to my goal. I don't track calories.

Cowgirljane do you track your carbs and if so how much per day?