Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Financial Benefits of WLS or Have You Had a Good ROI?

Ok, I admit it, I'm cheap. I thought about how my reduced grocery bills were going to reimburse me for my surgery expenses. So in my head I figured it would take 2 1/2 to 3 years for the savings on food to pay for the $5000.00 I spent out of pocket for surgery.

But what I didn't think about was the reduced cost of clothes. I can now buy XL shirts on clearance racks for $3 to $5 dollars where before I'd have to spend an extra $2 or $3 above the regular price to get the 4XL.

All of the articles I've found only cite the reduced medical costs as a way WLS "pays for itself" as an incentive to encourage insurance companies to offer coverage.

I've never taken prescription drugs on a regular basis, so I didn't figure in savings for that. And I'm sure there are other areas where (as a single guy with no wife, no kids) you may have noticed some savings that I didn't.

So to give others a financial incentive to add to the list of positive things when considering WLS, please post your financial windfalls below.

post-147109-0-68776600-1409627304_thumb.jpg

Edited by joatsaint

I dont know except for maybe saving money when you fly ? No buying a 2nd seat, you can carry your own bag , so no need to get/tip a porter ect. Smaller clothes can fit into 1 suitcase, wheras bigger clothes might mean you need 2 suitcases for the same trip, and that cost $ at the airport. Just some possibilities.

I spent considerably MORE money on clothes, because EVERYTHING feels and looks so good....and everything off the rack in any store now fits....things I couldn't wear before, or were not available - impossible to find in my size.....

now I and a medium, and in some cases size small....

Plus work out clothes and expensive running shoes are now a priority.

Our grocery bills have been cut by 75%....and I am sure I am saving on medical bills, if not current then what would have been I'm sure.

but don't forget, and this has been mentioned many times, that with weight loss, new clothes, increased motivation and energy levels, etc, etc....many people have plainly said how they now make more money, and have advanced in their careers, jobs.

Before when I would eat out at a restaurant, I would typically spend $15 on a meal. Now its $5.

Although you are not taking any prescription medicine now, I think you may want to broaden your perspective a little. I am 65 years old and have been overweight for several decades. This has resulted in a number of medical issues such as high blood pressure and diabetes. When these conditions occur, they not only lead to prescription medicine but also open the door to more serious conditions. These conditions can be very expensive to deal with, such as a diabetic foot ulcer. They can make you an invalid and dramatically impact your life. So the actual comparison is between what your life would be like without the surgery vs. what it would be like with the surgery.

I spend less on food, (I'm a REALLY cheap date now, LOL) but it's probably a wash because Protein supplements and extra Vitamins are expensive and they are required FOR LIFE. I purchased a high end stationary bike in about month three. Without it I would not have the results I have today. As for clothes... I spend way more because I actually care how I look in my clothes now and shopping is FUN! As for prescriptions, that is the one area I've saved. I was on 10 different ones pre-op and today only take a PPI. I have a social life now and that tends to drain $$$ as well. All of that said, I'd not change ANY OF IT! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this life I've created for myself! This is NOT something to do to save money. It is something to do to save your life!

food is where I am saving a ton of money. At the grocery store and at restaurants. At restaurants, I don't have my usual 2 glasses of wine with dinner anymore though I usually do buy 1 when I first sit down. Sometimes I don't drink it or much of it but other times it is such a treat. My friends like it because they can drink the rest of the wine that I don't drink! lol. If I have an appetizer, it is because it is my main meal if I can find one that is decent. Some restaurants charge for bread (Indian restaurants specifically charge for their naan) but I don't get that anymore. I don't eat rice with any of my food (well, sometimes I'll have a small bit of rice but that's it). And I always take a bunch of it home with me and get at least 2 more meals out of it. Of course, I actually try to avoid restaurants when I can because it can be a bit stressful knowing that my head wants some of the good stuff but I can't have it.

The other day I had people over and they ordered a pizza from delivery. I got a chicken wrap and just ate the insides. And only ate a portion of the insides.

So, for now, that is where I am saving my money.

Now, for getting my money's worth--that's a different story. I have had a gym membership for years but now I actually use it! lol.

I have saved money in all areas but alas....I've spent the money on new smaller clothes. I now love to shop. Woop Woop.

Shoes and clothes....they are so easy to find now.

I also save a lot of $$ on groceries .

But really what my WLS saved me was time. All the shopping,preparing, cooking, cleaning

I think it cleared a shelf in my brain that all that food chatter and thoughts took up

I now find much more free time that does not revolve around food

I am thankful

Even though I'm eating better quality food (fresh seafood, lean Protein, etc) I'm spending way less on food because I'm eating so little. In a single day I could eat $10-20 of junk food (Fast food, high sugar foods). I went overboard buying a whole new wardrobe for my new size 6, both for casual and professional wear, so that has been expensive but it's also been a pleasure. I've never enjoyed shopping before. And now I need a whole new winter wardrobe because last winter I was in a lg-xl but now I'm a small. I'm anticipating another wonderful orgy of shopping! My kids are grown and gone so this is the first time in my life that I'm not sacrificing for others - it's all about me! :-)

The dramatic weight loss has eliminated my cholesterol meds and reduced my doctors visits from bi-yearly to once a year (monitoring of thyroid). Also, I lived on nsaids for chronic back and joint pain which is gone. I'm only on thyroid meds and Vitamins now. :-)

Saving so much on meds and junk food. Spending on clothes but right now using Goodwill for my losing period. Restaurant eating is way cheaper because I order off the appetizer menu or just get sides a lot. And no soft drinks in the restaurant. I go to the grocery store much less frequently which also staves off other impulse buying of stuff I don't need.