Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help ..how many calorie am i suppose to be eating?

Hello sleevers,

I am four months post op and I had it done in MX. The problem is that I haven't seen a dietician and I am confused on how much I'm suppose to eat. I've lost 56lbs so far averaging 1 lbs a week. Can someone please tell me how much Protein, carbs, fat and Water intake I'm to have. I am light head at times and I know that i am not drinking enough water I might get 10oz of liquid a day . I am taking 1 multi Vitamin, 1000 bitien, B 12 , Calcium and magnesium . Please let me know if I am missing something.

@fran2014- ok here goes, you must get in at least 64 ozs of Fluid per day, which includes all liquids EXCEPT caffeinated drinks, I.e coffee tea. No carbonated drinks. As to Vitamins, you need a bariatric Vitamin, some are once per day like the opurity brand, and others are three times per day like the Celebrate brand. As to carbs and calories, wow you are gonna hear / read so many differing opinions but I strongly suggest that you look up a local bariatric surgeon's office and call to see if they have a on site dietician and make an appointment as you need some face to face guidance relative to your specific dietary needs, etc. I would also suggest you get into your primary care doctor for a full blood work up to ensure you are meeting your vitamin, Iron, etc bodily requirements. Be well

Wynnie-yes you r correct. It confuses me even more when I read the post because everyone is different . I have an appointment with my family dr in two weeks which we r to discuss my diet. Thanks for you suggestion . Take care.

I can only tell you what my nutritionist said to me. Don't count calories, count grams of Protein to start with.

You want 64 oz of Water each day.

you want about 60-100 grams of Protein each day.

Keep sugar out or to a minimum (read labels!)

Eat protein every couple of hours. This could be yogurt for Breakfast (Fit and Light is best), hard boiled egg for snack, lean protein such as chicken (about 2 oz) with some veggies for lunch (each ounce of chicken or lean meat is about 7 grams), some cottage cheese for mid day snack, some chicken or lean meat for dinner (about 3 oz). )

Drink Water 30 minutes before you eat.

Don't drink anything with your meals.

Chew, chew, chew your food and eat slow. BUT... don't eat for more than 30 minutes.

30 minutes after your meal, drink your water again.

Keep a food journal (this is actually really important)

No carbonated beverages, no caffeinated beverages.< /p>

Things like that. There is of course variation on this but this is what I have been told.

Best of luck.

<snip> Keep a food journal (this is actually really important) <snip>

A bunch of people on here, myself included, track our daily eating habits (and exercise) in apps that we have on our phones. The one that seems to be most popular on here is called My Fitness Pal, although I use one called LoseIt, which if you don't have a smart phone you could always track with their website. I find it helpful to see the trends in what I'm eating and how they relate to how well I'm losing (if/when there's a connection). Just a thought, you might find something like that useful.

Yas

My doctors instructions regarding diet are 60 to 80 grams of Protein, 100 grams of carbs, and 30 grams of fat per day. One meal should include 12 grams of "good" fats. My daily calorie count averages between 600 and 900 depending on what I eat. I use the My Fitness Pal app to track my daily intake. You can customize the daily needs to match what you are instructed to have each day. I have to have at least 48 to 64 ounces of fluids a day, no caffeine or carbonated beverages.

Edited by Mayaresearchmom

fran2014,

If you are only getting 10 ounces of Water a day you are extremely dehydrated. PLEASE increase your intake of Water. There are serious health consequences to dehydration.

I don't count calories. I count water, minimum 64 ounces. Protein grams, a minimum of 60 grams. I find I have to supplement my daily Protein with Protein powder or bars. I use a brand I ordered on Amazon called GENEPRO. It has no flavor and dissolves in hot or cold liquids. I put it in my coffee that I sip throughout the morning.

I don't pay attention to fat. Some doctors require that. I eat so few calories a day--fat isn't a big deal to me. I know fat has more calories BUT it keeps me fuller longer.

I keep my carbs to an absolute minimum to zero if I can. I don't' digest carbs well, the more I eat--the more I want.

I keep sugar to as close to zero as possible. Again, I don't digest sugar well and it wrecks havoc on my blood sugar level and causes that crash if I eat too much.

I do my darnedest to get enough sleep at night. I think this is often overlooked as a requirement to be able to loose weight. I don't make good food choices when I'm tired.

I take a bariatric Multivitamin, 1/2 of an Iron tablet, Calcium supplements and other Vitamins and supplements for my joint problems.

I wish you the best but please, please get your water in.

Blessings,

Kathleen

Try the MyFitnessPal app. Input your current and target weight and target date and it will give you an idea of how many calories per day. You can use the app to track what you've eaten too so you stay on target.