Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

after surgery

Hi I have just had surgery. I have been home 2 days now stomache is still sore , was just wondering if anyone has had a problem drinking all that is expected of you i darnk 1 protien shake and sipped Water all day but there is no way i can get another shake in me I am so full .. Does it get easier ? I know water and Protein are the most important things after surgery ..

This is very common. Your stomach is swollen from the trauma of your recent surgery, making it that much more difficult to fill your new tummy. My doctor told me to do my best to stay hydrated and to sip, sip, sip all day long. Water is hard to get in because of it's density, but if you add in a sugar free flavor enhancer, it should be easier. Frozen sugar free Popsicles were my life line first week post op. It's all I could really get down. Once I moved onto full liquids, I'd eat Greek yogurt (was included in my full liquids) and add unflavored whey Protein powder to my sugar free Jello, both upping my Protein in take.

Don't beat yourself over protein yet. Try--by all means, but don't let it get you down. You'll get there. It gets better. It gets easier. Just take it one day at a time and before you know it, it'll be a walk in the park.

Good luck!

Edited by Curvy

thanks for the info flavored Water is a little easier to get down got down 8 oz down 50+ more to go =)

Edited by jmeeko

home 2 days - stomach sore

@@jmeeko

hi newbie :)

yes,Protein is very very important

but for now, Water is more essential

if you can't drink the shakes comfortably

then continue to sip your Water all day like you"ve been doing :)

popsicles, chrystal light :)

getting dehydrated is no fun :(

it happened to me on valentines day -_-

( obviously will never forget the date it happened ;)

having to be in the hospital for 2 days having IV fluids, no fun :wacko:

your body/tummy has been invaded :(

it is angry/rebeling at you :angry:

thats why it hurts!!! :angry:

its saying "what the heck did you do to me :wacko: "

as @@Curvy said" It gets easier. Just take it one day at a time and before you know it, it'll be a walk in the park."

sooner than later you should be enjoying your healthier, happier, longer life with the sleeve :)

improved speedy recovery :)

hang in there :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Hi I have just had surgery. I have been home 2 days now stomache is still sore , was just wondering if anyone has had a problem drinking all that is expected of you i darnk 1 protien shake and sipped Water all day but there is no way i can get another shake in me I am so full .. Does it get easier ? I know Water and Protein are the most important things after surgery ..

I was sleeved on the 19th, same thing when I got home, I opened a bottle of water,didn't think, took a big gulp of it as I always had and realized I can't do that, sat in my chest for almost 5 minutes. It's probably going to be tough getting everything in, but do what you can, but especially water, don't get dehydrated. I also got some of the Isopure drinks, 40 g Protein per 20 oz. bottle, try to get a half cup down and youve got 8 g protein. Since I'm 14 days out, it's a lot easier taking in the water, sick of broth and shakes, but no problem getting it down.

Edited by vincereautmori

It does get easier! You may want to try a "thinner" Protein supplement. I lived on Syntrax nectar Iced Lemon Tea flavor for the first several months as it mixes with Water and didn't make me feel so full. Isopure makes a clear bottled Protein Drink and there are others as well. I also use the flavor drops in my Water now to help me get a bit more down.

I didn't have problems getting down Water or crystal light but adding Protein Powder to the milk was making me kinda sick so I drank what I could in the beginning but switched flavors and worked for a little bit started getting the pre made ones and didn't have probLem but the taste was kinda gross. Drink what you can we all had to go thru it.