Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6month wait pd

I just started this whole process (2 months in) and my insurance requires 6 months of weigh-inns before I can get the band. My question is during these 6 months does the insurance look for weight loss or it doesn't matter it's just checking your weight? (Don't know if this is a stupid questions but thanks for any help

Mine didn't require weight loss. Just 6 months of doctor monitored check ins and 6 nut consults.

Use this time to build new and better eating habits. I started by adjusting the size of my plate after my visit to the nutritionist. I have used a salad palte nad fork ever since. I have been banded for almost 5 years, so sicne April 2009 I have used a small plate. Listen to the advise of the nutritionist, too. They will advise you of the proper size of the food that you eat. Best wishes on your upcoming journey!

Hi there and congratulations on starting the process. Six months will fly by before you know it. I joined this forum in June of 2013 and had my surgery in November so even though it wasn't an insurance requirement it still took me that long to move through the bureaucracy, have all my appointments, etc. The only thing my insurance company was adamant about was a minimum BMI of 40. I was borderline and could not lose weight until the insurance company signed off on the surgery. This was very frustrating to me, needless to say, as I really wanted to start taking off pounds prior to getting banded. In hindsight it has not mattered at all. I am glad that I kicked up my exercising -- didn't want to do it but am so glad I did. This gave me something to step into right after surgery and now I am a real walker (not a pretend one, lol, but some one who wakes up wanting to do it, and always doing a bit more, etc.). I also used the time to do some interior work with a therapist to nail down my food issues. It was good to really examine my triggers. Electing weight loss surgery meant that I was being brutally honest with myself about not being able to lose weight otherwise and that it was because I was addicted to food -- not blaming it on outside circumstances, etc. but taking personally responsibility. It feels so good to be out of food jail now. I also benefited from a journal. I tracked all my appointments, made lists of why I wanted to lose weight, what I'd be able to do again, etc. Putting it all down on paper was good for me. And mostly I used the time to hang out on this forum reading post after post after post. It got to be so I could spot the successful people easily and I followed them, asked questions, noticed what mindset I wanted for myself. So glad you're here! Best wishes for a lovely fall and all that is ahead.

Thank you all so much for the best wishes and the advice. My BMI is also at 40. I am being more mindful to what and how I eat. My biggest concern is not being able to drink seltzer. I was brought up on drinking that stuff. I love the more bubbles the better but I have the soda stream and am starting to not add so much bubbles to get used to it. And now I'm trying all different exercise classes so this was I can do more then just run.

Thanks again all for you help. I'm very excited for this

My insurance required 6 months of supervised weight montering. My doctor required I loss 5lbs. I lost 40. Good luck