Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Changing my mind......

Well, I am 10 days until surgery....however that 10 days until VSG surgery, and I don't think I can do it. I waivered back and forth between the band and VSG or almost a year, finally decided on the sleeve, but now I think (I'm pretty sure) I've made the wrong decision. What do I do? Has this happened to anyone? I'm assuming I can call my clinic on Tuesday and tell them I've had a change of heart. But I'm assuming it will need to be resubmitted to my insurance as well.....I just think the sleeve is to drastic. I don't know....maybe I'm just a nut case!

I met with the surgeon on Thursday last week and after she explained it all to me (of course I've read, watched videos, etc) but after she talked to me, I started getting this sinking feeling and it's just gotten worse over the weekend.

Anyone words of wisdom? I could really use some right now.

Edited by ren0318

The decision has to be to & what you decide , but whatever you decide , just be ready & yes if it were me then I would call , just to throw this out there , have you also thought about if you choose to get banded ask about banding with plicaton , I have heard about it & wishes I would have known when I got banded , I love being banded so far I have lost a 110 lbs in 2 years , but if you are trying to make a decision it really is up to you , but call to make sure so You can have your best journey for you.

Only go for the band if you feel like all you need is a little help in controlling portion sizes? You and I are about the same size and weight before surgery. I just needed a little help in controlling my appetite so I could eat less.

I do feel like if I had gone with the sleeve I might be at goal or closer now but I wasn't ready for anyone moving my innerds around or removing them.

I love my band but I do recognize some people's bodies reject the band or some people just can't control their emotional eating or bingeing which can cause some very serious problems down the road. It's about a 10-15% chance of complications. I'm OK with that. You should know this before you jump on the bandwagon?

Thanks! I've researched the band probably more than the sleeve. My clinic doesn't do plication. I do feel like I just need some help controlling my intake. I think that I've let friends influence me, with "the band doesn't work" "you have to get fills" etc. But honestly, it is my decision and I have to do what's best for me. If I get the band and it doesn't work out, then I still have other options and all my body parts, but I think I'd like to start with the safest procedure and give it my best shot.

Thanks! I've researched the band probably more than the sleeve. My clinic doesn't do plication. I do feel like I just need some help controlling my intake. I think that I've let friends influence me, with "the band doesn't work" "you have to get fills" etc. But honestly, it is my decision and I have to do what's best for me. If I get the band and it doesn't work out, then I still have other options and all my body parts, but I think I'd like to start with the safest procedure and give it my best shot.

I love my band. Like you said all your insides are still there. That is why I have it. Go with your heart not what others tell you. Your body, not theirs

you have stated it perfectly. I think you know what you really want to do. call you doctor and see what you need to do. I went in for gastric bypass and came out with the band. there wasn't any problem with the insurance company. I think all doctors give themselves the right to change the surgery if they need to. so I don't think there will be a problem there. good luck and wish you the best.

I chose my band because I was fearful of stomach rerouting and cutting. My mother had stomach issues at my age due to arthritis meds and I took arthritis meds for decades too. I was fearful of messing with what might already be a compromised digestive tract. That said, I realize banding messes with it too, but less drastically. The flip side of getting the band is that there is a lot more medical aftercare and continual adjustments. I don't think the habits we learn are all that different than those needed by sleeve or RNY patients. We just have the added factor that we can have a band slip or medical emergency from crappy band cheating habits. So vigilance is key. I won't speak to vigilance on the other surgeries because I'm not knowledgeable about them, but I suspect you can really mess up your body by cheating around those tools as well.

I have come to realize on this forum that my band may not last forever and may have complications down the road and may even require surgical correction or replacement. I suppose I wasn't understanding that back when I chose it. But if I had to choose again I'd still choose the band. For me, it's been wonderful so far and if I have issues I will address them as they arise. Meanwhile I'm going to treat my band with respect and follow the rules. If I have medical complications I will hopefully recognize them and handle them promptly.

Edited by JustWatchMe

Love, love, love my band and the fact that it is adjustable and, if push ever came to shove, I could have it removed or opt for another surgery. But that's not going to happen. I feel so in sync with my body now, and with my band. Good luck to you -- main thing is you are choosing yourself and your healthy future. You are worth it!

You're having that " sinking feeling" for a reason, because your instincts are telling you you're making the wrong decision about the sleeve. You have to live with a choice forever, your friends do not have to live with that choice, so listen. to.your.instincts. You have them for a reason. That being said, I was banded 2.5 years ago, smartest decision I could of made. I went from 225 lbs to 175 in 7 months, then slowly lost another 15, and I couldnt be happier or healthier ! And, I still have all my insides ! The 5% inconvenience of having fills, chewing slowly, small bites etc is NOTHING compared to the 95 % positive of living without being obese. Everything is just better. That is all.

Just curious but why the change of heart?

I chose the band because I did not want my insides cut and plumbing re-routed and at the time sleeve was not yet being offered nor had I ever heard of it before. I was also 488lbs and I thought at the time my chances of survival on the table was better with the band.

To be perfectly honest I am very happy with my band and my results but if I had to do it over again and the sleeve was offered as a choice then I am not so sure I would choose the band again.

could it be that you're not really ready for any surgery? This sounds a little more than just pre-op jitters.

My recommendation would be to slow down and digest additional information. Don't hold yourself up against a 10 day window feeling like you must make a decision because in the end you maybe rushing your decision because of a timeline.

If it were me I would make a pro vs cons list for both surgery types and spend more time thinking about it. It is no doubt a life changing decision.

I wish you well with whatever you choose :)

I agree with everyone about the choice between surgery being your decision. I made the decision to have lapband surgery because I did not want a drastic re-arrangement or removal of my stomach.Having the fills and follow up is a good thing in my opinion. It keeps me on track and keeps a good look at the band by the physician. I get follow up care, by my surgeon and nutritionist, we have support meetings each month and if I end up with any other serious illness I know the band can be deflated or removed. My issue has been portion size as well and it has helped me to learn to eat slower, chew more and eat less. I cannot speak about the other surgeries because I did not have them. I know you lose faster with sleeve or bypass but faster is not always the best approach.