Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post-op - intense cramping when I drink anything

I have intense cramps when I drink anything warm, cold or room temp. I've started passing gas other than just burping (sorry, I know that is a lot of info) and I have had bm's. But every time I drink and sometimes even when I'm not drinking I get these intense cramps that last for a few seconds and they're gone.

Also, the incision where they pulled out the stomach has a bit of an indenture and my surgeon said for me to rub it - it's very tender and "hard" feeling... I'm starting to have those "WTH have I done to myself: thoughts. I want to be thankful, but I feel week and yucky and can't get in even half of the liquid/protein I need to - IDK what to do... It's Sunday and tomorrow is a holiday, I'm not sure I can get in contact with anyone at the dr. office.

It was SO much better in the hospital except that the dilauded was making me itch so bad I was clawing myself to pieces. Did anyone else have any of these problems? Ugh... I need some encouraging words...

I'm about a week out and I still get those pains when I drink too fast. Try taking smaller sips perhaps that will help. As far as feeling shitty, I'm right there with you. I had doubts about this surgery almost every day after my surgery.

When you start to lose a few pounds go buy a shirt thats one size smaller then you normally wear. Wear that and Bam you'll see why we signed up for this crazy stuff in the first place.

I wore a shirt that hasn't fit me for over a year and it was a bit snug but I was able to feel good in it. I read something here on the forums that I think about every time I pass a fatburger or something smells awesome . I wrote it below, hope it encourages you. Head up! We are going to make it.

"Nothing Tastes as good as Thin Feels"

What is an indenture in relationship to an incision. I know my incision where they pulled the stomach out is more painful and more swollen than the others. It also has a large hard spot.

What I mean by indenture is a sunken in spot - he said some fatty tissue came out with it was well, so it's uneven. And yes, it's also all of the other things you listed. He said to rub it - I just can't bring myself to do that... :wacko:

Then that must be what I have as well. That incision is deeper and it pulls something fierce when I move. It feels like I'm being stabbed with a hot poker. If I didn't have this pain I would be doing great. It feels better if I walk around the house a little bit but the first 20 steps or so are excruciating.

I have intense cramps when I drink anything warm, cold or room temp. I've started passing gas other than just burping (sorry, I know that is a lot of info) and I have had bm's. But every time I drink and sometimes even when I'm not drinking I get these intense cramps that last for a few seconds and they're gone.

Also, the incision where they pulled out the stomach has a bit of an indenture and my surgeon said for me to rub it - it's very tender and "hard" feeling... I'm starting to have those "WTH have I done to myself: thoughts. I want to be thankful, but I feel week and yucky and can't get in even half of the liquid/protein I need to - IDK what to do... It's Sunday and tomorrow is a holiday, I'm not sure I can get in contact with anyone at the dr. office.

It was SO much better in the hospital except that the dilauded was making me itch so bad I was clawing myself to pieces. Did anyone else have any of these problems? Ugh... I need some encouraging words...

I have the same symptoms and it makes it extremely hard to get all my fluids, not to mention protein! I have yet to figure out how to fix it. If you figure it out please share.

Was there hernia repair done? I had these esophagus spasms with every dang sip. Mine slowed down at day 7..then only here an there for a few more days. First 2 wks were brutal. My surgeon told me if u can make it thru first month you have it made. He was right. My internists told me with all the nerve endings severed it takes months to heal inside. He called me in a script of lidocaine an told me to very very careful an make sure I put my spoon way way as far as I can then swallow it..it will numb all the way an give some relief. That might help...it's the same lidocaine u get a dentist for numbing. Hang in there!! It gets soo much better! I'm 7 wks down..first month the hardest at least it was for me. I stayed 2 days for iv fluids I spasmed so bad felt like heart attack..It felt like my old gallbladder attacks 25 yrs ago but it's gone. It was my esophagus. .stomach itself didn't bother me..call Dr or whoever is on call..if you feel you need to..there is always a Dr on call! :)

I am 5 days out and I myself have the intense cramping with everything I drink starting in the chest area and the in the stomach. I'm trying to sip slower and less volume at once but so far, not very much difference

I have intense cramps when I drink anything warm, cold or room temp. I've started passing gas other than just burping (sorry, I know that is a lot of info) and I have had bm's. But every time I drink and sometimes even when I'm not drinking I get these intense cramps that last for a few seconds and they're gone. Also, the incision where they pulled out the stomach has a bit of an indenture and my surgeon said for me to rub it - it's very tender and "hard" feeling... I'm starting to have those "WTH have I done to myself: thoughts. I want to be thankful, but I feel week and yucky and can't get in even half of the liquid/protein I need to - IDK what to do... It's Sunday and tomorrow is a holiday, I'm not sure I can get in contact with anyone at the dr. office. It was SO much better in the hospital except that the dilauded was making me itch so bad I was clawing myself to pieces. Did anyone else have any of these problems? Ugh... I need some encouraging words...

I'm feeling EXACT SAME WAY after having my sleeve 8/25/14

Definitely call your doctor. I was having issues my first night home, I called, and my doc told me what to do. It does get better.

the bigger incision is alil sunken in the dr. said it dimples because they want to ensure it closes well. but it will flaten out as i loose wait. thats where most of my pain comes from. it actually hurts more today post op day 6 than it has rite after the surgery because alot of my stomach was kinda numb feeling an its slowing getting feeling back.

my Dr. gave me a anti spasm medicine that helps because every time i drank i got painful hiccup like spasm.

Last night i was having alot of pain and pressure in my stomach i started to get nervous but then after i took gasx and drank alil milk i realized it was probably just heartburn. everything really does feel different. its gonna take a while to get used to.

Gracegirl22 - what did your dr tell you to do? Maybe it will help the rest of us. I'm going to go ahead and call, I'll you all know what I find out. Ugh, this is just miserable!

I wAs having issues with my BP being very high, he told me it was due to the pain and surgical meds. Had to increase fluids, should get at least 64 ounces per day. I purchased sugar free popsicles, they were a godsend! Sipped Water every 15 to 20 minutes. Clear broth was ok as well. The gas is a monster, but it gets better after about one week. The gas alone caused me to cramp and think I was having a heart attack.....only walking every hour or so helped to eliminate it. Make sure you are walking frequently.

I am post op day 6 and I have second guessed myself every single day. I too have "dimples" in my skin and YES they hurt like heck! They gave me a binder and since I have been wearing that it has helped. But the burning at the incision site was about unbearable. Might as well have taken a lit match and stuck it through my stomach. I am not getting in all my fluids let alone the Protein. Tomorrow will be one week and since it is the Holdiay I will not be able to advance to the next stage until Wednesday, however since I am not having any nausea I may just try a scrambled egg tomorrow to try to get in some protein. I am scared and at a loss of what to do.