Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What pain med can i take?

I need help. I was sleeved on the 25th. Prior to this I took Advil almost everyday for nerve pain in my foot. I knew I was going to have to quit after surgery and I am found well but my foot is causing me so much pain does anyone have a suggestion as of to what I can take at 6 day post op?

All you can take is liquid Tylenol. You will probably only find it in children's. For anything else you need to consult your doctor. What pain med's were you prescribed for your sleeve?

Tylenol also makes a tablet that melts on your tongue. It s junior strength so you will have to take more than the box says.

Hi Rose

I was prescribed hydrocodon-acetamin but I don't take it . I will try the liquid Tylenol thanks for the advice:)

I am so bummed I can't take Advil because it's really all that touches the pain in my foot:(

But I knew this before the surgery.

peewee40,

​The only thing that got me through until I lost enough weight was Voltarin cream. It's an NSAID that absorbs through your skin. Once I lost enough weight, the pain in my back and knees got to be bearable with tylenol. It is a prescription and not an inexpensive one but worth every dollar for the pain relief. I understand what you are dealing with, the tylenol didn't relieve the inflammation I had, Thankfully the Voltarin did.

Let me preface this next statement with what I'm about to say is not advice from a medical professional. I now take several Vitamins and herbs that are anti-inflamatory. Tumeric is a spice that I take twice a day--(should be taken with food, NOT on an empty stomach), Ester C is a Vitamin C that is easier on your stomach and I find it helps my joints.

I take a probiotic capsule twice a day to help my Constipation and have recently started drinking a Kombacha drink to also aid my digestive health. It is a fermented drink and I have seen the tea but the refrigerated one has the beneficial live organisms and the shelf stable tea does not. I made the mistake of drinking a whole bottle, (there are 2 servings per bottle), and had diarrhea. Too many beneficial Probiotics can be a BAD thing. I drink 1/2 a bottle and voila--no constipation, I go like I should. Since I'm eating mostly Protein, constipation is a problem if I don't get all the Water and get some Fiber in.

I think since surgery I'm so much more focused on eating what I should and using Vitamins and supplements to help my digestion work as effectively as possible thus helping me to lose weight, absorb nutrients and feel better.

Blessings,

Kathleen

Hi Rose I was prescribed hydrocodon-acetamin but I don't take it . I will try the liquid Tylenol thanks for the advice:) I am so bummed I can't take Advil because it's really all that touches the pain in my foot:( But I knew this before the surgery.

If you are in pain, why not take the pain meds prescribed by your doctor?

Because nothing touches it . I had major surgery on my foot in January only to wake up and have the doctor tell me there was a nerve underneath the problem that was swollen but he could not remove because he did not have my permission.

My doctor and I believe that is what is causing so much pain . Advil is the only thing that gives it a tiny bit of releif:(

If it's nerve pain, go visit your doctor and try Neurontin.

This doesn't help you now, but if you are a sleever, know this: In a moment of weakness, our NUT admitted that with the sleeve it is possible at some point to take some ibuprofen if your stomach is healed. With the RNY it is always not allowed. He said the same thing about my aspirin therapy. At some point is the operative phrase.

I too relied on advil previously. My doc says it will be tylenol from now on. I am 4 days out. I am taking liquid tylenol during the day, which only helps a little. I take liquid hydrocodone before bed. I am told the pain will diminish soon. Hoping to not need any meds much longer.

Can the nerve issue be addressed once you have this surgery behind you? I too have had several foot surgeries for a congenital issue. I know how it hurts. God bless you. I hope you are able to be helped soon.