Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first stall, is this thing going to work ?

Ok guys, I need advice. I had the sleeve on the 12th August, post op I lost about 2-3lb per day after 10 days the weight loss stopped and I've lost nothing for the last 8 days I've lost nothing absolutely zilch ! I guess I was perhaps a relatively low starting weight of 245lb, I'm male and 182cm, currently I'm 222lb, I'm walking / jogging for 30 mins in the morning before work and walking home from work every day (about 45 mins). I have kept a food diary and my average daily intake over the last 10 days has been : calories 650, Fat 16g, Carbs 44g, Protein 80g, drinking 2ltr of Water a day, taking all vits etc. So pi$$ed off right now ! What am I doing wrong ! I'm trying so hard at this and sticking to all of the rules :-(

If you look at a graph of people's weight loss, it tends not to look like a downward slope so much as a stair case. For example, I now know I usually lose for two weeks and then hold steady for two weeks. It's just the rhythm my body has gotten into. So just give your body time to do its thing. This early on, I doubt many people go more than three weeks without a loss. I wouldn't worry until you're further out and start going for months without a loss (and are still far from goal).

You're doing nothing wrong.

But I have to ask ... Seriously? Did you really think you would keep losing 2-3 pounds a day forever?

After such severe changes (surgery, rapid weight loss), our bodies periodically try to find equilibrium. They respond with what we call "plateaus" or "stalls."

You are right on schedule for the "Three Week Stall." There are many threads and even an entire forum here devoted to this phenomenon. Or you can google it.

You're doing fine.

Just stop weighing yourself every day.

Best wishes .

If you look at a graph of people's weight loss, it tends not to look like a downward slope so much as a stair case. For example, I now know I usually lose for two weeks and then hold steady for two weeks. It's just the rhythm my body has gotten into. So just give your body time to do its thing. This early on, I doubt many people go more than three weeks without a loss. I wouldn't worry until you're further out and start going for months without a loss (and are still far from goal).

Thanks WhoKnows, I hope this stall only lasts 2 weeks, I guess I'm stressed because it's my first one. I wish there was a way to roughly estimate my projected weight loss over the next 3 months. I have a big event coming up in 3 months time and would love to have a rough idea in my mind if where I'll be at if I maintain my current level of activity and nutritional intake !

You're doing nothing wrong. But I have to ask ... Seriously? Did you really think you would keep losing 2-3 pounds a day forever? After such severe changes (surgery, rapid weight loss), our bodies periodically try to find equilibrium. They respond with what we call "plateaus" or "stalls." You are right on schedule for the "Three Week Stall." There are many threads and even an entire forum here devoted to this phenomenon. Or you can google it. You're doing fine. Just stop weighing yourself every day. Best wishes .

Hi VSGAnn no I didn't think it would last for ever, however, I was hoping for more than 10 days. Thanks for your words of wisdom, I guess I'm a little impatient and this is my first stall, perhaps I thought in the back of my mind that those that had plateaus or stalls were maybe secretly doing something wrong, which I am not and I guess I began to doubt the successfulness of the operation, I'll try to stop stressing and will do my best to weigh myself less often :-)

Well, there are two kinds of stalls:

1. Stalls that happen because your body's responding with WTF? I'm standing pat until I can get this straight!

2. People eating not enough Protein, eating too many calories, not moving their asses through exercise, not drinking enough Water, not taking their Vitamins correctly, and generally just being uncompliant with their surgeons' instructions.

My doctor told me that over the next year I should expect to lose an average of 1-2 pounds a week. So at 1.5 pounds/week, I can expect to lose (pow!) 78 pounds.

However, you're a guy so you'll lose much faster than me (I'm a 68 year old woman).

It sounds like most of your anxiety is caused by this event in your life that's happening three months out. That's a lot of pressure to put on yourself. Any chance you could dial back that pressure?