Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

Has anyone had WLS and is an extremely high risk patient? My husband is on coumadin,(for blood clots), has high blood pressure, diabetes and had blood clots from previous surgeries. He is on oxygen and he had so many surgeries that went through the same incision, he has no stomach muscles--just skin over his abdomen.

Has anyone had WLS with severe health problems? What I wouldn't give to get my husband to where I am at. I'd go so far as to say I'd do anything short of selling my soul if I could get him back to better health.

Kathleen

Edited by Katcloudshepherd

Surgery is surely a risk, but obesity is most assuredly, a death sentence. He can live with the fear that each day might be his last, or choose to turn things around and have some control over his future. I had a heart attack, was on thinners, blood pressure and cholesterol meds, had both knees replaced and bouts with skin cancer. I was starring at diabetes and my cardiologist had basically told me she had done all she could. That my weight would most certainly kill me. My willpower to maintain a diet had become non-existent. My mindset was.....I had little choice and nothing to lose.

The choice I made was not the riskiest one......it was the only one. And as it turned out....the correct one.

The Doc's are used to dealing with obesity patients that have many co-morbidities. (Kinda goes with the territory) I had my Sleeve done in a hospital with a Cardiac Unit available and my Cardiologist was completely on-board and standing by in case something went wrong. It didn't. In fact, it was one of the easiest operations and recoveries I had ever experienced. (and I had 11 surgeries in one year a while back)

I have embraced this opportunity and put my all into the effort and can only confirm what everyone else on here repeatedly claims about this life changing journey.

You asked for feedback from any high risk patients.......Sorry, I don't see mine that way...... All my risk was if I didn't become a VSG patient. ;)

Edited by Recycled

Recycled,

Thank you for your response. Like I told my husband this morning, all the doctors can say is "No we can't do it." We will never know if we don't ask and pursue it. We had went to a seminar several years ago and he was told he was too high risk. I'm just hoping I can find a surgeon that thinks the risk of surgery isn't too great to attempt it.

Kathleen

What about the doctor in Houston that does the surgeries on My 600 lb life? Does anyone remember his name?

It seems like he takes on some very high risk surgeries.

OK I googled it, here is his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dr-Younan-Nowzaradan-MD-FACS/152477131443253

If you haven't seen the show he seems very good and also very kind as well.

Best of luck, I really hope you can get this surgery for your husband :)

Hello everyone,

Has anyone had WLS and is an extremely high risk patient? My husband is on coumadin,(for blood clots), has high blood pressure, diabetes and had blood clots from previous surgeries. He is on oxygen and he had so many surgeries that went through the same incision, he has no stomach muscles--just skin over his abdomen.

Has anyone had WLS with severe health problems? What I wouldn't give to get my husband to where I am at. I'd go so far as to say I'd do anything short of selling my soul if I could get him back to better health.

Kathleen

Hi Kat, I can relate. My husband is 67 and was sleeved in December 2013, and is down 100 lbs. We went to WLS seminars 15 years ago, but he had too much fear. He has been obese his entire life and would go a year on Optifast shakes - for several thousand dollars, losing 100 lbs twice, only to regain it. He can barely walk as a result of back surgery with residual leg/nerve problems. Twelve years ago he had a heart blockage with a stent. He is on daily full aspirin because of the stent, like Coumadin. He has had Type II diabetes 30+ years. He was on 3 BP meds. sleep apnea. Cellulitis (sometimes life threatening) of the ankles and legs. Diabetes was so out of control that I kept 3 Glucagon shots in the house at all times for the many nights he would be unconscious from a 30-40 blood sugar. Rescue calls and a room full of firemen was the norm. At a seminar last year I found I qualified for the sleeve because of newly diagnosed diabetes, asthma, 2 HB meds daily, knee replacement, and I led my terrified husband into sleeve surgery. He was warned of the high risk, but the high risk of not having the sleeve was scarier. He now needs another hernia repair, and it will be done laparoscopically and repaired with mesh covering the skin inside his stomach. Maybe you can find out if this mesh would be of benefit to your husband's problem. His life was reduced to a recliner because his legs swelled so bad we could not take car trips, or hardly walk. He has just bought a kayak and has it equipped for fishing. We just drove to Kanas to visit a 90 year old Uncle, drove to W VA for a family reunion, spent 7 days on a cruse, and 7 days in New Orleans. This has been our life since May and it has been an awesome trip. Scared the hell out of us. Good luck, just keep researching and maybe visit a few surgeons until you find the right one. We did. God Bless you both.

LindafromFlorida

Thank you for your response. We're going to visit some surgeons and see if there is one who would be willing to do the surgery. Like I told my husband, all they can do is say no and we won't know if we don't try.

I'm so happy for you and your husband :D .

Blessings,

Kathleen

LindafromFlorida

Thank you for your response. We're going to visit some surgeons and see if there is one who would be willing to do the surgery. Like I told my husband, all they can do is say no and we won't know if we don't try.

I'm so happy for you and your husband :D .

Blessings,

Kathleen

Good luck and God Bless. Keep us posted.

What about the doctor in Houston that does the surgeries on My 600 lb life? Does anyone remember his name?

It seems like he takes on some very high risk surgeries.

OK I googled it, here is his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dr-Younan-Nowzaradan-MD-FACS/152477131443253

If you haven't seen the show he seems very good and also very kind as well.

Best of luck, I really hope you can get this surgery for your husband :)

Thos doctor is casting for a new season. He's looking for 500+lb patients. Worth a look

Thos doctor is casting for a new season. He's looking for 500+lb patients. Worth a look

From what I can tell he brings these people in and he might be paying their expenses. They move into new housing in his town.