Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will Hair color/highlights make hair loss worse?

I am almost 5 months post op and have definitely been experiencing Hair loss the last month or so. It's not noticeably thin anywhere but i brush several times a day and use a hair roller to control the mess from it. I wanted to do highlights and color as one of my mini goal treats to myself but will treating it make hair loss worse?

Has anyone had any experience with color while still losing hair?

I am of the opinion that the loss starts internally and very little that is done externally can impact what is happening (other than a perm which tends to cause breakage anyway) I color and highlight my hair to damage it a bit so it will not be silky and lay down and turn to slime at the first hint of humidity

I agree with what the the post above me said. I got my hair done a few weeks after getting the sleeve and am still shedding as I was before. Haven't hit the 3 month mark yet when you lose a ton of hair but it's bc of internal. Not what you do externally to your hair. Do it! It'll make you feel good as well :)

i think hilighting your hair will look good and thinning hair will be less noticeable. Congrats on your mini goal and go for it !

I asked the same question of my sister-in-law who is a cosmetologist. She told me to wait until about a month after the hair stops falling out noticeably, because even though the Hair loss is from an internal source, the follicle is still weak at this point and you can slow down hair regrowth if you damage it further.

It's actually written in the book given to me by my surgeon to not dye my hair for a year and to keep it short. I kinda cheated and have dyed it twice but with a more natural hair dye. It's called Hair Wonder. You can buy it online. No harsh chemicals and it covers grey hair. I was losing too much hair to take that chance.

While I was in the losing hair hand over fist phase my hair dresser wouldn't touch my hair with any chemicals with a ten foot pole. But when it stopped, after a few weeks we slapped some color on it (about 3 weeks ago) and no ramifications. I'm looking forward to my first perm this coming tuesday!

I am 11 months out and have my hair colored every 4 weeks and have done so since 2weeks after surgery. It has not increased or decreased Hair loss. I guess all you can do is try it and if you feel it has created more hair loss then stop. There was never going to be a reason to stop me coloring my hair, within 4 weeks I'm starting to wear a grey halo

Edited by ausmith

Congrats on your milestone!!! It's a great feeling, isn't it?

As far as coloring your hair, I think it is a personal decision. But, I too was told by my surgeon and stylist that coloring my hair would weaken my hair further and increase Hair loss due to the harshness of the chemicals. I rocked my grays for almost a year! I thought, in the long-term-scheme-of-things, a year isn't bad because by then I can rock my new hair and body even more :D !

Good Luck!