Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all, 59 years and starting a new life!

Hi all, my name is Darlyn and I am 59 years old. I've been battling my weight since 3rd grade. By 8th grade I weighed 175 lbs @ 5'4". Got thin once in my late teens but only for a year or two. Weight Watchers was always my go to because it allowed dessert, cocktails, etc., but I gave up dieting years ago after I had back surgery. I was in an accident at work (I drove a school bus) and I now have constant pain and sciatica. I am also diabetic and was very depressed.. Last Christmas I had to park quite far from the stores and found I needed to borrow a wheelchair to get back to my car after 2 hours of shopping. I then decided that I needed to get my act together before I got too old. So here I am. I was banded on 8/25/14 and also had a hiatal hernia fixed. I'm on the right road to a new life. My current weight is 229 at 5' 7". My goal is 160 lbs. and to get off my diabetic meds. Please wish me luck!

Welcome:). Congratulations on taking control of your health. It's a great feeling isn't it? I was banded in July and am 5 weeks post op. I just received my first fill yesterday and am looking forward to the future! You're gonna do great!!

Welcome to the losers bench. Best thing I have ever done for myself

So glad you're here! I feel like my life has had the reset button pushed for the better. I was banded in March and have no regrets. Good luck to you!

Wishing you all the very best of luck and blessings! I'm 51 myself and just banded last month. Good for you for taking the step to improve your life. So many people out there suffering. I'm so glad I took this step. I'm down about 15 lbs and already feel such a difference. I too always went to WW without lasting success.

Thanks to all for responding. Is anyone having that nasty shoulder pain?? Am I sipping too fast?, too much? Thought I was going to die earlier today. Took a gas x and felt better.

Karate chops on the neck and shoulders helped the pain for me. It took several days to be completely gone. Walking helped too.

Edited by JustWatchMe

Welcome. I think the shoulder pain is from gas from the surgery. I started my weight loss journey at 53. I now feel like I'm 33. You are right...... Take hold of your health while you're still relatively young. I have totally become a HEALTHYNEWME. Just came back from my one year check-up and besides the weight loss, I also had a blood pressure of 107/65, a loss of 13 inches around my waist, from 45 inches to now 33 inches. I wear a size 12 in clothing. I am at the gym SIX days a week, doing 65 minutes a day on the elliptical. I am not saying these things in a bragging way, but really to offer you hope that you, too, can start to feel healthy again and get back the quality of life that you deserve. Best Wishes!

Welcome to our chatter! I have found this site to be so helpful and supportive. Best of luck to you for changing your life. I'm 59 too and it was the best thing I ever did getting banded. Keep us posted.

Hi all, my name is Darlyn and I am 59 years old. I've been battling my weight since 3rd grade. By 8th grade I weighed 175 lbs @ 5'4". Got thin once in my late teens but only for a year or two. Weight Watchers was always my go to because it allowed dessert, cocktails, etc., but I gave up dieting years ago after I had back surgery. I was in an accident at work (I drove a school bus) and I now have constant pain and sciatica. I am also diabetic and was very depressed.. Last Christmas I had to park quite far from the stores and found I needed to borrow a wheelchair to get back to my car after 2 hours of shopping. I then decided that I needed to get my act together before I got too old. So here I am. I was banded on 8/25/14 and also had a hiatal hernia fixed. I'm on the right road to a new life. My current weight is 229 at 5' 7". My goal is 160 lbs. and to get off my diabetic meds. Please wish me luck!

I got the band 2 years ago July at almost 62. I wish I knew about the band at a younger age. But I feel much better and can move better. I had the hernia also. My stomach was also in the wrong place and now is perfect. The gas goes away and walking helps and a heating pad.

Welcome to the losers club.

Arlene

I was banded Dec , 2011 at age 53. My only regret is I did'nt know about the band sooner ! Every single thing in my life is better, I have nothing but good things to say about the band. The 5% daily negative is nothing compared to the 95% daily positive ! Im happy and healthy again ! Hope all goes well for you, welcome to the Loser's Club !!!

How are you feeling? The shoulder pain is the worst...it gets sooo much better towards the end of week 2. Heating pad and gas x helps a lot.

I was 56 when I had surgery. I now play with my grandchildren without being out of breath. I was off insulin about 4 months after surgery. and can eat carbs now without my blood sugar going up. I still have to take Glucophage but only 2 a day. its the next med I will come off of. I wish you luck on your journey. you will love life again.

I will soon to be 63, and also 5'8",....started out at 265-270, (not sure because I couldn't bear to weight myself), and I am now at 165 (and have been for almost 3 years).....with a 12-13% body fat %...considered "Athletic"

All severe co-morbidites have been reversed, including diabetes, high BP, Triglycerides, Cholesterol, you name it.

Had an MI one year before surgery, resulting in angioplasty with cardiac stents.

I could not carry groceries into the house without getting short of breath.

I now feel 25 years younger and feel confident and motivated to take on the world.

So you see, you are never too old to take care of yourself, and above all, THIS THING DOES WORK!

(in spite of all the negative posters you may read here, and eventually fade away anyway)

Edited by B-52

Congratulations on your decision to start the journey to good health. I am on day 16 post op, 10 pounds down and feeling great. I walked every time the gas pain hit. I am 55. Taking back control of my life and hope I will have many successes to share. First goal is to get rid of my sleep apnea.