Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling discoraged july sleever

Hello,

I got the gasteric sleeve on July 23rd. Initially I lost 8 pounds with my preop then another 19 the first two weeks of surgery. When I started soft foods my weight loss immediately stopped. Now 4 weeks out I have lost a total of 27 pounds. I'm feeling a little discouraged because for the last 2 1/2 weeks I haven't lost anything at all. I hear of some people loosing 40 the first month. I'm 23 hw 298 sw 291 cw 270 any suggestions would help. How much cardio should I be doing. Also I am able to eat anything including rice and bread. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong

Keep working the plan and it will pay off. 27 pounds in one month is amazing! Give your body a break.

I was sleeved on the 29th, and I've lost about 20 pounds since surgery. I've been stalled for the past week. Just hang in there, it'll start up again.

i'm right around your number and had surgery earlier. take it a week at a time. also bread and rice are just carbs - no real value for your nutrition. try to up your Protein instead. good luck!

Please be patient...you didn't gain your weight over night, you're not going to lose it overnight. Also, please don't compare your weight loss to others' - it's not healthy. You're body is going to lose at it's own pace, just as it gained at it's own pace.

Here are some things I learned in the last 9 months and some helpful hints...

If you graph your weight loss, it won't be a straight line down...it will look like a stair step, meaning, you're going to plateau periodically, then lose some more.

Stepping on the scale daily (or more than once a day) is bad for your soul. My husband hid the scale from me and brought it out once a week. I was happier when I did that.

If you continue to follow your plan (the plan your doctor/surgeon/NUT gave you), you will lose weight. Keep working towards your Protein goals, exercise plan (again, YOUR doctor's plan). When your body "stalls", it's because it needs to. There will be periods of time where you won't lose, then all of a sudden you'll drop 3 pounds over night.

Embrace your successes - maybe it's the fact that you can walk up the stairs without getting winded or you can move the car seat up or your clothes are starting to fit different. Celebrate those subtle changes.

Take pictures of yourself to help you document this amazing journey you are on. I refer back to my "decision day" photo all the time. It's my "before" picture - it's the day I stood on the scale in the doctor's office and cried when I saw the number - it was one of the most unhappy days of my life, but it was the day I decided to change things.

Take your measurements - you will find that you are getting smaller, but the scale isn't necessarily moving. Your body is changing and trying to figure out what's going on, but you are getting smaller. It's amazing.

Thank you everyone for your replies I guess I need to give my body a break. Thank you. I just wanted to make sure a stall was normal.

Please be patient...you didn't gain your weight over night, you're not going to lose it overnight. Also, please don't compare your weight loss to others' - it's not healthy. You're body is going to lose at it's own pace, just as it gained at it's own pace. Here are some things I learned in the last 9 months and some helpful hints... If you graph your weight loss, it won't be a straight line down...it will look like a stair step, meaning, you're going to plateau periodically, then lose some more. Stepping on the scale daily (or more than once a day) is bad for your soul. My husband hid the scale from me and brought it out once a week. I was happier when I did that. If you continue to follow your plan (the plan your doctor/surgeon/NUT gave you), you will lose weight. Keep working towards your Protein goals, exercise plan (again, YOUR doctor's plan). When your body "stalls", it's because it needs to. There will be periods of time where you won't lose, then all of a sudden you'll drop 3 pounds over night. Embrace your successes - maybe it's the fact that you can walk up the stairs without getting winded or you can move the car seat up or your clothes are starting to fit different. Celebrate those subtle changes. Take pictures of yourself to help you document this amazing journey you are on. I refer back to my "decision day" photo all the time. It's my "before" picture - it's the day I stood on the scale in the doctor's office and cried when I saw the number - it was one of the most unhappy days of my life, but it was the day I decided to change things. Take your measurements - you will find that you are getting smaller, but the scale isn't necessarily moving. Your body is changing and trying to figure out what's going on, but you are getting smaller. It's amazing.

Thank you for all of this it truly means a lot as I was getting depressed. My bf hates it but I do weigh myself about 3x a day I will try to do it once a week from now on.

Hello, I got the gasteric sleeve on July 23rd. Initially I lost 8 pounds with my preop then another 19 the first two weeks of surgery. When I started soft foods my weight loss immediately stopped. Now 4 weeks out I have lost a total of 27 pounds. I'm feeling a little discouraged because for the last 2 1/2 weeks I haven't lost anything at all. I hear of some people loosing 40 the first month. I'm 23 hw 298 sw 291 cw 270 any suggestions would help. How much cardio should I be doing. Also I am able to eat anything including rice and bread. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong

Hi! I had my surgery on July 23rd as well. I lost 4.5lbs 3 days prior because of the liquid diet. Gained 6lbs in the hospital. Pre-op 221. Post surgery HW 223. Pre-SW was 216. CW 203. Ok, so I lost the first 11lbs within 4 days post surgery. For the last 4 wks I've lost 9lbs. I consulted with my NUT and she recommend I up my calories to 1000 from my now 800. Because maybe my body thinks I'm starving it. Because the weight loss should be more than 9lbs a month (on average) I totally understand your frustrations. Hang in there. We can do this together :) <3 Stacy

Hide that scale!!!!! Good luck!

Hi there!! We had surgery the same day!!! July 23rd!! My HW was 309 my SW was 297 and my current weight is 273. So we are right around the same! My MD told me that most people on avg lose 20lbs the first month, they go by percentages and so far I've lost 22% of my excess weight, by 3 months they expect 30% and this is for bypass! So we are doing fine!!! Stay the course my friend!! I do weigh myself daily as well and know the struggle of it not moving! It will give it time!

Calculate weight lost as a % the weight you want to lose and if you must compare use this value. The person who has lost 40+ lbs may have a lot more to lose than you do.

Don't get into a habit of comparing yourself to others. My surgeon told me that weight loss differs per person and to stay away from scale. The best way to measure isn't the scale, its your clothing and fitness. Right now you are still in the early stages, your body is still healing and might not want to give up the weight as fast. As ling as you are following the advice of your NUT and your doc you'll be ok. This is a life long journey and thats a good thing because it takes time to break old habits. It is hard but you'll see magnificent results a month from now, 6 months from now, a year from now....just keep on trucking. Also, go to those support group meetings! They are a huge help.

Did you take any pre-op photos? Those help too. Just don't obsess.

I feel you.. Having the same sentiments. Sleeved 7/29.. Only down 18lb from surgery at 5 weeks out. Stupid stall for like 3 weeks except the day I walked a 5K.. Well I cant walk a 5k everyday when Im working 12-14 hours a day..

Hope we both get out of this rut soon

Glad I'm not alone, which you feel like when other people have dropped 40 pounds or more and they drop weight daily! I was sleeved 7/24 and down 20 since surgery. Feel like I'm losing at a snails pace, lol. HW 295, dropped 7 in the week before surgery. Sleeved at 288 and 268 now. Been holding at the 268 since Sunday so it appears I'm in another stall. Think I need to take the advice of hiding the scale.

My husband weighed 100 more lbs. than me. He lost faster and more than I have. We barely weigh right now. Just trying to keep on track which is hard being out of town on vacation. The temptation is still there, easy to eat what you shouldn't when you leave home. Good luck!