Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does everyone need plastics

This may be a dumb question but I am terrified of sagging skin and yet I do not want to have another surgery once I have my RNY... Is there anyone one out there who was able to tone with excercise alone? I already have bat wings. I am top heavy now and have a belly no children just a belly. Helppppppp

I will def. need it even though I have no desire to EVER have another surgery. Already had bat wings and they are getting worse. The price we pay to get healthy.

Very few need it but some want it..like me. I was ok pre plastics but really love my results post plastics. I would not let it stop you from getting healthy though!

Cowgirljane I see you had the lapband and had a sleeve revision. What was the reason you picked the sleeve. I am to have the gastric bypass, to help me with my diabetes Along with the weight as well. Is the recovery time about the same. I'm just trying to make sure I'm picking the right surgery. I know I don't want the band. Thank you.

For me it's the arms and I'm committing to toning that upper arm area this fall and winter. I am 53 this month and would not have plastic surgery but that's just me. Do what makes you feel happy. Isn't it great that we live in a time when body types of all kinds are acceptable? Let's be those people. I would like to be the fifties lady with imperfect arms that wears sleeveless at a BBQ whether it's how I am today or how I hope it will be next year.....

I could have lived with my saggy belly it wasn't so bad, but ended up getting that fixed to match the arms and boobs that were done the year before and greatly needed. I think after you start and see how really easy it all is, you start wanting to improve on all that you can. Many of us on here have had our plastics done with twilight sedation which is so much easier to deal with than general anesthesia making the whole experience so much easier...

I'm goin to see how much comes off an wat hangs on belly..after 2 pregnancys my tummy stretched an never lost it. So I already know I am going for it! Had the breast reduction 13 yrs ago..best thing I ever did for me..instant relief. .the hubs is already expecting tummy done already also..:)

I am going to try to convince my insurance company that I "need" a panniculectomy along with breast reduction. For me, the main driver is not aesthetics, but comfort. My "apron" is in my way and my heavy, pendulous breasts keep me from moving as much as I would like. Not to mention the pain in my back and shoulders.

I didn't have diabetes. I can't really say I have a rational reason for the sleeve over bypass but at the time I was more afraid of the bypass. What I believe is that they both work, have slightly different risks, but in the end it is about the person being focused and getting the support and education needed. I think they are both excellent procedures.

Cowgirljane I see you had the lapband and had a sleeve revision. What was the reason you picked the sleeve. I am to have the gastric bypass, to help me with my diabetes Along with the weight as well. Is the recovery time about the same. I'm just trying to make sure I'm picking the right surgery. I know I don't want the band. Thank you.

I think some people are happy without plastics and some people cannot find their version of 'normality' without plastics.

The first thing that broke my heart was a photo of me with some friends - Our arms were round each other and my arm was twice the width of my friends, all empty skin - I felt more of a freak than I did when I was twice the size. My belly skin meant I was unable buy clothes to fit properly as the skin needed it's own space.

I felt in my heart that I would always feel freakish without trying to do something - I decided in the end - If the plastics had gone wrong - It would possibly have been easier to cope with than the way I felt at that time (Obviously I don't know that as my plastics went fine)

Some people have very elastic skin and don't need plastics at all. Everyone is different and has different genetic traits etc...

For me - The scars I am left with I have made friends with as - I can fit in clothessmaller than I ever thought I would be able to - I look so much better in my body than i ever thought - Yes - There are maybe one or two bits I would change - But - They are small tiny bits (Tiny bit of assymetry on belly) That is just me being picky tho - LOL

You will know..

You've asked an answerable question - no way to know how things will be for you till you get there. I think there are very few people who really "need" plastic surgery physically, in that you can live a nice long life without it. There is no way to know if your skin will rebound in a way that you are comfortable with. One thing for sure - I look way better with loose skin that I did with fat filled skin. Clothes hide a lot, and compression garments hide even more.

At the end of the day, it's up to you what you can live with. If I had to choose between staying fat and having loose skin, I'd choose the loose skin every time, and I think most people would. Once you get to that point, then you can decide if you can live with the lose skin or not (if you even have it). It's a very individual decision, as you can tell from the responses in this thread.

I work closely with two women who have had RNY and lost well over 140 lbs. One of them was the inspiration for me to have surgery. Neither of them has had any PS. So it's definitely not universal. They both look great, and one is young and the other is older than me. (I'm 59.)

I know this wasn't geared towards me but I am a diabetic who first had lap and revised to the bypass. My diabetes was called in remission 2 days after the surgery. At the 3 month post surgery my A1C went from 9.5 to 7.5 and is still lowering. The mental need for sweets that ruled my waking thoughts is gone. I don't even miss them but it's only at the 6 month point. I'm about 50 pounds from a healthy bmi. With the bypass, for a diabetic it's the bypassing the duodenal switch which helps us first and then the weight loss. Other surgeries help diabetes but because of the weight loss which takes time to do. I do still have some lingering neuropathy but my kidneys which weren't so great before are normal and most of the other diabetic related health problems are gone now. I would recommend this to and diabetic in a heartbeat. Just follow your doctors orders though for success! Good luck!