Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going ti italy nervous about eating with others

Am 4 months post op. 29 lds lost to date ..Im a low bmi to begin with hence the slow weight loss.....but im very pleased with the loss my goal weight is just 11/12 lds more....im nervous. I have not told anyone but hubby about sleeve..and next week i head to italy for a month with a group...im nervous about the food questions...i can not eat much...about a half a hot dog on a bun ...i eat real tiny meals...or i feel like its stuck...so wish me luck...

Oooh.

Gee.

I dunno.

That's the land of Eat 'Til You Drop.

I dunno if I could do that at four months out.

I think you will be fine. I went to Italy with my 13 year old two years ago. There are carbs everywhere!! Think pizza and Pasta and jelato! In my determination to not gain weight, I refused to indulge in either the pizza or pasta. I did eat jelato a couple of times. I stuck with Protein and veggies the entire time! Watching my son OD on pizza several tines a day did not even phase me. Just stick with your plan. I personally do not question people's food choices, whether someone in my company is eating a little or a lot. I think it's personal. 0

I've been there, too (pre-surgery). My husband is a diabetic, though, so we had challenges.

They have lots of delicious fish and meat dishes and don't serve Pasta like they do here (as a meal - it is a small dish that is part of a meal). Everything they fix is simple and about the freshest, most in-season ingredients. It is nothing like US Italian food. Try to pick the dish with an in-season food. In the fall, it is often mushrooms.

Breakfast is usually coffee and a sweet biscuit - look for places that advertise "American Breakfast".

The biggest problem I think you will have is, if you go to a nice restaurant, they serve several courses (appetizer, antipasto, Pasta, meat/fish, salad, fruit/cheese, and then dessert). They serve side dishes along with these. You can take each course and play around with it (without really eating) or you can tell them what you want (the waiters are snobs and won't be happy, but that is their problem). Of course, everyone seems to drink lots of wine, too.

When we went to Croatia, I found that they don't sell Protein shakes so, unless you mix your own from powder, you will have to try to eat meat and cheese often. You should try to find a store and buy some sliced meat and cheese (or greek yogurt) to store in a fridge at your hotel.

Just tell people you are eating healthier and stick to your plan as much as possible.

When I went to Italy (pre-surgery), I ate anything and everything I wanted. However, I walked nonstop all day and evening and ended up losing weight unintentionally!

Good luck and let us know how it went!

Edited by Texasmeg

Italy does have a lot of amazing food, but I've found that the walking I've done while I was there more than balanced out what I ate. Also, there are amazing shops that sell cheese and lunch meats, if you need a small Protein snack. We had a lot of picnics with meat and cheese and bread and fresh fruits and veggies from the farmers markets.

The other thing is that the portions really are much smaller than they are in the US. I bet you will do fine, and be able to enjoy your trip without feeling all tired and stuffed.

wife has been killing me to go on vacation there. I am a huge salami and cheese fan.... That worries me a little bit. I think I should be fine when the time comes if I avoid all the carbs!!!