Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

..alright I know, yuck but I think it's something that needs to be addressed.

Before I had surgery I was petrified of throwing up post-op, I had tons of Zofran and worried about it a lot. After having both a sleeve then a revision to bypass I just wanted to let people know my experience with it and have a place to talk about other's experiences to hopefully alleviate some pre-op worries!

So, it's not fun but it's not life-ending like I thought it would be. If you eat too much, it actually feels better to get it out..please try to avoid this and never ever ever make yourself throw up on purpose to get rid of pain. Your body will tell you if you messed up and if you have to throw up, take some deep breaths and just let your body naturally get rid of whatever it needs to. I fought my body a dozen times, tried to take Zofran when I just needed to relax and let myself throw up and once I did it, I felt so much better. It's not any worse than throwing up from the flu and in fact, USUALLY you only throw up for a few minutes and then it's over.

So, be very very careful not to eat too much but if you mess up (which will happen) just try to calmly let your body decide how to fix it. In my experience, I got way too worked up and scared over how bad it would hurt to throw up when really it's not so scary and is really no different post-op then it is pre-op.

Now, as a disclaimer..if you are throwing up regularly or if you are throwing up and you know it wasn't because you did something wrong (ate too fast, had too much, didn't chew well enough, had too big of a bite, etc.) you NEED to call your doctor..right away! Throwing up is not something that should be happening very often and if it is, something could be wrong and you must let your doctor know ASAP!

I'd love for others to post their experiences as well because I think it would have helped me to read something like this before I had surgery because most of the time..mental fears are WAY worse than reality!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 2 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Having gall bladder surgery in a few days and I so hope the recovery is easier than the one from the modified DS! I could use a bit of luck/pep talk for a change. I'm starting to be able to walk around without experiencing dizziness, but it would be great if the random pain in my chest and abdomen would go away!!
      · 0 replies
    • Dawn 1974

4/4/2024 - new patient orientation. Wt 313
      4/5/2024 - got all my lab work done.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!