Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Loss Surgery & Depression/Suicide....working on article, can you help a fellow patient?

Hi there! I'm 4 years out from surgery - use to weight 448 and now I'm 188. Woo! Thank you Dr. Ameri!

So as a patient, I'm working on an article for Vice regarding life post surgery and how depression/suicide is a problem for patients. I know I take medicine with anxiety/panic attacks now & dealing with nonsense has been tougher.

Is there anyone else out there with this problem - that would be open to talking? I can keep you anonymous if you want? I can be reached at samanthajocelynnoyes@gmail.com - thanks!!!

Ahem ... are you hypothesizing this is a common problem for WLS patients?

If so, this is the first I'm hearing about it.

Hard

Ahem ... are you hypothesizing this is a common problem for WLS patients?

If so, this is the first I'm hearing about it.

Absolutely not! There was study done by the University of Pitt back in 2010 and the numbers showed there an increase. Not everyone has the problem - but I know I never had panic attacks or issues with depression before I had the surgery and I know I'm not the only one, hence why I'm asking.

Would never exploit - I almost died after surgery and went thru hell and back - even with the anxiety & everything - it's still the best decision I've ever made.

@@SamanthaNoyes I'm not sure the scope of your paper... I've seen a lot of people on the boards who have depression or bipolar disorder and I'm one of them. But it didn't start after surgery, it's something I've lived with for a long time. If you're including stories like that, I'd be willing to share. Just PM me.

Hi there! I'm 4 years out from surgery - use to weight 448 and now I'm 188. Woo! Thank you Dr. Ameri!

So as a patient, I'm working on an article for Vice regarding life post surgery and how depression/suicide is a problem for patients. I know I take medicine with anxiety/panic attacks now & dealing with nonsense has been tougher.

Is there anyone else out there with this problem - that would be open to talking? I can keep you anonymous if you want? I can be reached at samanthajocelynnoyes@gmail.com - thanks!!!

I suffered from depression before surgery and I went through a very dark period several months after surgery. I tried to stop taking my antidepressant and was not able to. I ended up going back on it. I think losing THE coping mechanism of food was a significant part of that dark period. I used food to cope with all negative emotions and life stressors for decades and then it was not available to me. Having to FEEL those emotions whoa--that was so challenging. For almost 37 years I was able to stuff those emotions down with overdosing on food. Then I had the surgery at 48 and BAM no longer could I anesthetize myself with carbs and sugar. I'm still taking it one day at a time and learning things I should have learned growing up. Oh well, it is what it is.

Good luck with your paper. I don't know what specific type of info you need. I'm probably not a good candidate for input since I had depression before surgery and my family is genetically predisposed to depression.

Kathleen

I personally think that many people used food as a mood stabilizer - I sure did. when that no longer worked for me, it definately triggered a "reckoning" with my inner life. I was never suicidal or horribly depressed, but definately went through a dark time and suffered from anxiety. I think that anxiety was always there (my mother had severe anxiety and I think it has an inherited element) but I buried it in fat before.

When I quit smoking I went through almost a year of depression and anxiety. Finally, my body became adjusted to the intense change I had put it through by breaking an addiction. I fully expect to face the same problems with weight loss.

If it were easy to break an addiction, everyone would just toss their cigarettes, drugs, alcohol and chocolate cake and take up knitting! Even if you can mentally adjust it takes many months, even years, for your body chemistry to calm down.

I would not be surprised to hear that there is an increase in chemical imbalance after weight surgery but I have not found any legitimate studies that indicate an increase in suicide. Can you please provide a link to these studies that you mention? Otherwise, it seems a bit irresponsible to drop a subject line like that on a message board like this.

Catcloudshepherd, CowgirlJane, and Beth Pets, can I just say thank you for sharing that personal information!!!?!!! What each of you shared in your posts was so on point and makes so much sense! Without the comfort of food, we have to face some things, and this can lead to some dark periods and may explain why some may experience anxiety, depression, etc. thank you thank you thank you!!!

You're very welcome. It took me years of therapy to overcome some childhood issues but I am still very much a work in progress. I wish you well on your journey.

Blessings,

Kathleen

Beth...I loved your story and attitude. In my mind you are set up for success. Determined and you know it gets better!

Even during the toughest most anxiety ridden time... it was still better than weighing 300# and gaining. ... I feel like I have been given another chance at LIFE and am so grateful. I feel healthy. I feel beautiful...dare I say even sexy??? (ok feeling a little old too..haha). I love my life even though I have at times struggled. I share my inner life because I hope to inspire and share a path with others... As others did before me. :)

I have learned that shedding the fat layers also gave me the opportunity to shed other layers. It's a messy process..but I feel so much more authentic.

Catcloudshepherd, CowgirlJane, and Beth Pets, can I just say thank you for sharing that personal information!!!?!!! What each of you shared in your posts was so on point and makes so much sense! Without the comfort of food, we have to face some things, and this can lead to some dark periods and may explain why some may experience anxiety, depression, etc. thank you thank you thank you!!!

Hi Samantha. I had my sleeve done August 6th and had a really tough time the first two weeks. I know I experienced anxiety due to my experience. I didn't realize at first what my problem was, I would just start crying. But after the fact, and looking back, I can now see what was happening. I definitely believe there is a relatively high risk of experiencing depression and/or anxiety.

Thank you, thank you for sharing your experience! You're amazing and brave! I'm going to message your privately this weekend and if you want to be anonymous or not - that's cool. Thank you! You have no idea how much this means to me. I raise my glasses to all you!

Hi Samantha. I had my sleeve surgery on 9/3/14. I have been moody, irritable and depressed. I have lupus so there are more days than not that I do not feel great. It has been much worse since surgery. I am completely aware that I ate food when I did not feel well to fell better. As we know, eating and having a positive connection to food and being full is a thing of the past. I know I am grieving my coping skill (albeit an unhealthy one). I would be interested in helping out in whatever way you need for your research. Angela