Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realistic Weight Loss & Energy

Have not lost dramatic weight like I expected. I am only a week out. I try to exercise. After work and having to sit up all day (I also had a hiatal hernia repair), I am utterly exhausted. I am so tired that people keep asking me if I am ok.

So what is reasonable loss? Are my expectations too high? How can I boost my energy and mental snap? I have a very brainy job that requires concentration. I am struggling to maintain, and I am slower. This will not work.

I will appreciate any help or tricks you guys can provide. The only thing I have heard that might work is to carry honey around. Yes? No?

THANKS!!!

Wow...back to work so soon! You probably have low energy I'm assuming because you are still on full liquid or pureed foods. Usually not easy to get in the Protein and calories needed to substain energy and this will have an affect on your ability to concentrate and focus. Try to get in the recommended Protein and fluids to help with energy. Not certain what else you can do at this stage. Don't over do it, let your body heal. It will get better, hang in there!

Congrats and best wishes!

Oh, after only a week, don't expect much in terms of weight loss. Don't worry you will soon began to have noticeable weight loss in the coming week or so. Every one is different, but we all get there!

Don't forget about all the saline you had pumping into you while you were in the hospital. You're likely still retaining all that Fluid. I stayed at my sister's house for a couple days after I was discharged and when I got home 4 days after surgery, I had actually GAINED some weight due to all that Fluid I still had in me. When I had my check up 9 days after surgery, I was down 13 pounds total in those 9 days. And then didn't lose anything for another 4 days. All of this is to say your body is adjusting to all the trauma it went through.

My advice is to get as much Water as you possibly can, and if you're cleared for Protein shakes by your doctor, try to get up to at least his/her minimum recommended grams of Protein.

Try not to get discouraged, the weight WILL come off!

I'm sorry you're feeling this way! But first of all, you are only one week out! As a previous poster stated, your body has just endured a traumatic surgery. You are swollen and most likely still retaining fluids. Worry about healing and staying hydrated, not the scale.

Week one was "hell week" for me. I had NO energy what-so-ever! In week two, I tried to Water my planting bed (this was towards the end of June in south Texas, so you can imagine the heat!) and I nearly fainted. You're body is experiencing extreme loss of enegy, not only because of the traumatic surgery, but because of the extreme loss of calories it's used to sustaining itself with. Your body is in starvation mode right now and you are hardly consuming any carbs for it to process as energy. The time frame of healing and getting your "mojo" back is different for everybody. However, once your food stages start to progress and you're able to consume more foods, you should be able to see a differnce in your energy levels. Yogurt, cream Soups, soft or creamed cheeses, smashed beans/and or cauliflower are all examples of foods that will help you get some of that mojo back.

Hope you feel better soon! Hang in there, the best part of your journey is yet to come!

What exercise are you doing, especially with a hernia repair too. My surgeon did not recommend the gym for at least a month. All I did was gentle walking to begin with and then built up over time. Take care of yourself.

I also had hernia repair. .I'm 7 wks out an I can't imagine having to go to wrk a wk later. I had really bad chest esophagus spasms every time I sipped. I take it u had to go back to wrk or it would b different. I'm not even really exercising yet but I am walking all over the house busy doin things but also resting when my body says rest. I hope u have more of a desk job then u can walk around an rest. Take it easy. My surgeon told me to at least give myself a month to heal. My internists told me it takes a good 6 months to heal. Especially with hernia repair. Not to pic up anything over 10 pds for a while. My 2 days in hospital I gained 8 pds. .lost within a wk..I bought an unflavored high Protein Powder an put a spoonful in my juices,coffee, (decaf) in broths Jello etc. .that's how I got fluids an Protein in at once. Ur lack of energy is ur body is using all u havright now to heal..be careful. .hang in there..don't worry about a lot of exercise right now. Leisure walking is fine...the weight will come off.

Thank you for all the encouragement! When I went back for the 10 day, they told me I was not eating enough calories and that my body was in starvation mode. You guys were right that I needed to chill out and wait. Thanks for the reality check.

I'm sorry you're feeling this way! But first of all, you are only one week out! As a previous poster stated, your body has just endured a traumatic surgery. You are swollen and most likely still retaining fluids. Worry about healing and staying hydrated, not the scale. Week one was "hell week" for me. I had NO energy what-so-ever! In week two, I tried to Water my planting bed (this was towards the end of June in south Texas, so you can imagine the heat!) and I nearly fainted. You're body is experiencing extreme loss of enegy, not only because of the traumatic surgery, but because of the extreme loss of calories it's used to sustaining itself with. Your body is in starvation mode right now and you are hardly consuming any carbs for it to process as energy. The time frame of healing and getting your "mojo" back is different for everybody. However, once your food stages start to progress and you're able to consume more foods, you should be able to see a differnce in your energy levels. Yogurt, cream Soups, soft or creamed cheeses, smashed beans/and or cauliflower are all examples of foods that will help you get some of that mojo back. Hope you feel better soon! Hang in there, the best part of your journey is yet to come!

Where are you from? I too am from Very south Texas. I live in Zapata, about 45 minutes from Laredo

Where are you from? I too am from Very south Texas. I live in Zapata, about 45 minutes from Laredo

I live an hour north of Laredo. Did you get your surgery there, in Laredo?

I am 3 months out and my energy is coming back .

post-218935-0-89503100-1409439034_thumb.jpg

I do this daily :)

post-218935-0-89503100-1409439034_thumb.jpg

post-218935-0-59724700-1409439081_thumb.jpg

post-218935-0-76207700-1409439103_thumb.jpg

Hello all. Can some one tell me as we move forward to each stage how much Protein should I be having for each stage...I will going on to purées but not sure how much protein I need at this point. Help. Thnx

I live an hour north of Laredo. Did you get your surgery there, in Laredo?

Wow, so we are not far from each other! Yes I got it done with Dr Morris. Do you have a FB so we can keep in contact