Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tricare and abdomnioplasty

Anyone have Aetna? ?if so were you approved for plastic surgery?

Ok Tummy Tuck take two....just found another surgeon and so far so good....submitting to insurance so fingers and toes are crossed!!

Good luck!

Susan

Any updates?

Susan

Any updates?

Susan

Yes, went to see a new surgeon who was much better. Unfortunately I still got denied by Tricare. ???? I have decided to move forward anyway while they work my appeal. Surgery set for late April due to a cruise. I'm so excited but now nervous. Thanks for checking. Curious but not hopeful with the appeal!

Fingers crossed for you. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results. I go in next week to have my "dog ear" corrected. I have a skin flap on my left hip. It's an in office procedure, I'm looking forward to having even hips.

Susan.

Hope you don't mind me asking but how did you get a dog ear? What exactly is it?

I found this definition on line

removal of dog ears, which is a term used to describe the excess skin and fat at the ends of any type of incision is typically a simple procedure performed under local anesthesial

It is just a little flap on my hip at the end of my incision. I have it in one hip only. My surgeon said he was sure that was the hip his PA finished up in surgery and that his work was the good hip. It's fairly common after a Tummy Tuck. Make sure you ask your plastic surgeon about it. Since my surgeon is in a military treatment facility, I'm not having to pay to have it fixed. You'll want to know if you will have to pay out of pocket to have it fixed should it happen.

Google "dog ears from tummy tuck" and you can find pictures and lots of realself.com references to it.

I was told it would take about 40 minutes to fix, in office. No mention was made of needing pain medication afterwards. I didn't need any for the tummy tuck do I'm figuring this would be a breeze.

Susan

Thanks for the info....I did find out that tricare is working my appeal, it would be very nice to have them cover a portion of it but I'm doing it anyway! Fingers are still crossed! Which base are you at?

I'm at Ft Carson, CO. Good luck with the appeal.

Susan

I used to work for the military medical system. Tricare doesn't cover plastics unless its medically necessary and that is hard to prove. I had an officer friend have it done and she had a lot of other issues that went along with it like pain and excess scar tissue. It took her almost a year to get approved.

Well I am moving forward wether they approve or not. I submitted letters from 3 doctors saying it was not cosmetic. Can't do much more!

I wish they would do mine without my RNY surgeons ok. I have a severe pelvic hernia, skin rashes and infections, the grossest smell PLUS I can't stop seeing my fat self still on my abdomen! I swear this is worse than the surgery and not being able to eat my fav foods.

A panni is the only thing Tricare will pay for and that's with tons of documentation. A MTF with plastics can be an option but there are few and very long wait lists.

To be honest - as much as I'm appreciative for Tricare and MTF services - I would never trust them with my plastics. I want someone who I can see documented evidence and styles. I trust a civilian who's life revolves around plastics more so than a military doc. They each have their place but that's just my opinion.

If I could never afford a full Tummy Tuck I'd settle for a panni bc the rashes and skin breakdown is very dangerous. That being said I'm saving every dime I can to get the full tummy tuck!