Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have surgery at Mass General in Boston?

I am also going through mgh. I have met with dr butsch, the psych (dr Gorman) and the nut. I am meeting my surgeon, Dr Huddersfield tomorrow and after speaking with the scheduler it looks like my surgery will be oct 6. I know a couple of out her friends who have been through the meh program and all spoke very highly of their experience. I have been very pleased so far but a am super nervous about tomorrow.

Do you have a surgeon/date yet or just starting the process?

I also met with Dr Butsch he referred me to the surgeon Dr. Gee I am meeting with her this Thursday I am excited and nervous. Hope to have a date at that point I also met with the nutritionist and psych. Are you having he sleeve or RNY? So far I am pleased with MGH What insurance do you have. It's interesting that you already have your date and haven't even met the surgeon. I am so anxious and nervous. It's nice to have someone going to the same place.

Hi. I had another great experience at might today. I met with dr hutter and went over all options, complications, and risks. He really put me at ease. I am moving forward with the rny and surgery will be oct 6th. I have a ton of appointments between now and then but I am excited (and nervous). I will be starting the pre-op diet on sept 19th so it will be a long couple of weeks! I have Harvard pilgrim for insurance and the scheduler said they are one of the easiest to work with. She had approval same day she faxed request. Every insurance has different qualifiers but the standard is bmi over 40, and I just made the cutoff! It is great to connect with someone going through same experience. Update me and let me know how everything goes with dr gee. Are you going into Boston or Danvers location?

I am going to Boston. I am so happy to hear that your appointment went well.. I have neighborhood health for insurance I was told they are pretty easy also. I will post an update tomorrow. What pre-op appointments are they having you do? My PCP had me go for a breathing test already and I have a echocardiogram of 9/13. She wanted to get the ball rolling. Just curious what other tests will be needed. Thank you

Angie413, how did your apt with dr Gee go?

I am doing the nutrition classes this week, did extensive blood work, need pre-op testing, apts with nut and psych, and I have to have some testing done on my esophagus. After all of that I start pre-op diet on sept 19th (yikes!) and go back to meet with dr butsch/dr hutter one final time before surgery on the 6th. Dr hutter told me that it is important to loose as much weight as I can pre-op so I am trying hard to adopt many new habits now.

It went very well. I decided on the sleeve. My surgery is set for October 14th. I am also going to the nutrition class this week. Are you going to Danvers on Wednesday ? That is the one I will be at maybe we can meet.. I'm so excited and also started to make some changes to my diet to adjust.

Yes, Danvers on Wednesday, What a coincidence that we would both end up there. I am taking time off from work so I might be getting there just as the class starts but hopefully we can connect after the class. I won't have a ton of time bc I'll need to get back to work but maybe we. Can exchange contact info. When are you meeting with nut for pre-op diet? My apt is the 19th and I feel like that is the real start of this forever change. Do you know what they are going to be covering in the class? Also curious how/why you decided to do sleeve vs rny? I was referred from my GI dr and I did not have another option due to my GI issues but always interested to see why people choose one procedure over another.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Carey

My nutrition appt is on 9/22. As far as I know the topics are about the preparing diet and the diet stages post op. Looking forward to hearing all this info. Dr. Gee basically told me I am a perfect candidate for either surgery after listening to the complications I decided that it did scare me a lil to have my insides rearranged. Although if it was my only option I would do it. She asked what I wanted to get out of the surgery I told her I don't need to be 120 lbs I just want to be healthy and live a better quality of life. I explained my goals do working out and working hard she did say that with the sleeve it does require more work on my part but I am ready for the commitment. I feel like I am getting a second chance in life and I want to make he most of it. What are your gi issues that made the RNY your only option. I do get heartburn I take Prilosec. If is controlled however it is more when when I eat certain foods so she didn't seem to think that was an issue. I do have an appointment on 9/22 for an Upper GI series so we shall see if anything changes.. See you on Wednesday. :)

I have a missing pyloric valve which allows all of the acid and bile to move around all over the place. It has caused some damage and can cause more severe issues if I do not get it under control. When you have the rny and the reroute your intestines it makes it near impossible for the acid to reach my esophagus . I have been on a lot of medication to try and control it but it has not helped. I guess rny is one of the most successful ways to treat the issue that I have. And lucky me, I qualified bc my bmi was just about 40 :)

I also have esophageal dismotility, which is separate from the pyloric issue but also causing problems. The esophagus is why I need to go in and have some more extensive testing done so that dr. Hutter knows exactly what to expect. I have always loved to exercise and I can't wait to start to feel better!