Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So disheartened and defeated.

I was sleeved two months and three days ago. I'm feeling so frustrated and afraid that this just isn't going to work for me.

I lost a significant amount of weight (85 pounds) in a fairly short period of time (4 months) prior to my surgery at the end of June. I used to eat massive amounts of food so my body responded well to high protein/low carb and I was pretty successful.

Since surgery I have only lost an additional 30 pounds. I would think the first few months after surgery would be the best months as far as weight loss and I've only lost 30 pounds. I realize this still means I've lost 115 pounds in just 6 months, but I don't know why the weight isn't coming off now. I had a stall the first month and I'm on a stall now in the 2nd month. In fact, I lost 21 pounds the first month and only 9 pounds this entire month.

On my surgeon's program I'm on the soft foods diet. Their paperwork says each meal should be between 4-6oz total for 5-6 meals/snacks a day. I'm trying to under-eat my sleeve so I usually eat between 3-4oz per meal. I am getting at least 60g Protein and 64oz Water daily. I am exercising (water jogging/swimming) for at least 30 min, 5 times per week. My nutritionist refused to let me pin her down to a calorie goal per day so I aim for less than 600 daily and I meet that almost every day. The days I have not met it I have still stayed under 700.

I could understand this slowness if I was a lighter weight WLS patient. I'm not. I'm still 330 pounds! Honestly, at this point I feel like I spent $15,000 to lose 30 pounds and give myself an eating disorder. My next follow up appointment is in 2 weeks and I honestly just feel like giving up. I won't give up, but I feel like it.

When I punch in my height, weight, sex, and age into one of the online calculators it says that my body burns around 2500 calories a day just existing. With those numbers and the amount I'm eating it doesn't seem scientifically POSSIBLE that I'm not losing a pound every couple of days.

Anyone have any thoughts, ideas, words, or a pity party? I'm struggling :(

Edited by une nouvelle vie

Try upping your calories since you work out 5x per week. I try to get close to 1200 calories on my work out days. On non-workout days I typically get less - 800 to 900. Body is happier this way. I started out in my program over 300 lbs. So I wouldn't say I was low BMI or anything.

Also, here is an electronic hug. *hug*

Sounds to me like you aren't getting enough calories.

Losing it slowly according to my surgeon is a bit better when it comes to sagging skin. I notice a difference in my weight loss when I take in more fluids. At least 80 oz. considering the how often you work out and the heat.

But don't give up. You didn't gain it quickly so losing it won't be overnight.

I'm surprised that you are still on soft foods. You may not be getting enough Protein or something. And the calorie calculators are based on average height weight measurements, metabolism and such. I was told under 600.

I know it's hard. There are days that I wonder why I haven't lost more. But I'm doing good for a girl with a history of stroke and brain damage.

At your starting weight was the rny not an option your doctor wanted to do?

But don't be hard on yourself. You are doing great.

Thank you guys for reading that big long mess of a post!

I've had a few people tell me that I might need to increase my calories on the days I work out. It seems so counter-intuitive to losing weight I've been afraid to try. Maybe I'll try it for a week or two and see what happens.

@@Lizbiz, the doctor and I did talk about RNY instead. He felt that since the sleeve removes the portion of the stomach that sends the most hunger signals that the sleeve might be better for me. We looked at the data and it seemed to suggest that after 3 years most sleeve and bypass patients end up about the same place so I thought I'd go with the least amount of rerouting my insides ;) From time to time I wonder if the RNY would have been better, but most days I think chose right.

Thank you again for reading and responding. I'm just a mess today but I'm sticking with this. Maybe in a year I'll be able to resurrect this post with triumph!

I don't feel like you're getting enough calories. Your body may be in starvation mode, especially for the amount that you exercise. Really consider upping your caloric intake by a couple hundred. I bet your body just needs more energy.

Don't give up, though. It's not always easy, but it sounds like you've done amazingly well the last six months. I would consider you an inspiration to people like me.

I'm glad I read your post. It wasn't long. You have to get out how you are feeling. This whole journey is a crazy head game sometimes.

I am with everyone else. You aren't getting enough calories.

But can I say this? What a great job you are doing with and without the surgery! You have lost a whole person in 6 months!!!

Keep up the great work! :)

I am with everyone else. You aren't getting enough calories.

But can I say this? What a great job you are doing with and without the surgery! You have lost a whole person in 6 months!!!

Keep up the great work! :)

9 lbs in one month is slow and a stall? I know patients/forum members who would trade places with you in a heartbeat!

I was sleeved the month before you and have noticed if my calories drop too low (mainly because I'm just not hungry), my weight loss slows/stalls. I'm not exercising nearly as much as you but usually eat around 800 calories :)

You've done great so far, don't get discouraged! I don't think your post was long either - hope all the comments help you.

A stall is no weight loss for 3-4 weeks not 9 pounds. In fact month 2 and beyond 9 is fantastic!

As the others said 600 cals too low at 2 months. Should be at least 800 and work up to 1200 by 6 months especially if you are working out. I lost all my weight on 800 cals month 2-4 and 1300 cals from month 5 onward. I lost 135 pounds in 17 months. I started at 315. If it takes you 17 months to lose 135 more pounds would you say oh never mind it's not worth it. I don't think so. Remember this is not a sprint or a marathon. The longer it takes the longer you will practice new habits that will endure for a lifetime. The real goal of WLS is keeping it off not getting it off.

I felt the way you do a couple of months ago. I felt that since I lost so much weight pre-surgery, that I should lose more and faster after the surgery. But our bodies are not machines. There are lots of things interacting at once and we don't control what our bodies do with the inputs. We only control what fuel we feed it and how we exercise.

Please don't give up. If you keep moving in the right direction, you will eventually arrive at your desired destination.

The big picture! Amazing weight loss so far. You've changed your whole life. Your body is going through complete re-education. Please pat yourself on the back and see the long view. Your weight loss is an inspiration and NOT a failure in any way. Talk to your team and get answers. And then be patient with yourself. Let your body do what it needs to do to lose in a healthy way. Congratulations and thank you for sharing your very real SUCCESSFUL experience!