Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm about 1 week preop and having some significant depression. I'm having a hard time sticking to preop diet and feeling really down on myself when I mess up. I have a therapist - seeing him on thurs. I had to take the day off today to "regroup". Mostly I've been in the bed but have been doing decent with the diet... I figure if I cave in and stray from liquids I'll just feel worse. Right now I'm at the pool for a dose of Vitamin d...Any thoughts?

Side note: I take meds for depression long term so the depression isn't new for me, just wondering if anyone has ideas for getting back on track. Thanks!

I've been struggling too. I'm 10 days into a 15 day pre-op diet. I've cried a bunch of times for no reason. I get really sad thinking about how long it might be before I feel "normal" again. I have at least one bout every day where I consider giving up and not having the surgery at all. It's so hard because, in the past, I've obviously turned to food for comfort in stressful and emotional situations like this, but that is clearly not an option right now so I just don't know how to handle it. I think ultimately it is good to be experiencing all of this now, since it's something I will have to cope with after surgery as well. But it's definitely overwhelming at times.

Edited by JamieLogical

This is normal guys. The pre-op diet is for several reasons... To help shrink your liver before surgery, to show your commitment to your new diet and lifestyle and to help you lose weight. Things will get better once you have your surgery and start seeing your weight loss progress. I'm 3 months out and feeling great! It's amazing the things I can do after losing 35 pounds that I couldn't do before! Good luck and keep up the good work!!

I've struggled with depression before and after surgery. I'm glad you are seeing your therapist Thursday Wisdom2KnowTheDifference because that is best. You are so correct JamieLogical you will have to deal with difficult and uncomfortable feelings after surgery without turning to food. Like I have said before, the mental part of this is much more difficult than the physical part--for most people.

Like Teresah18 said, once you have the surgery--you will have a physical tool to manage the bodies hunger mechanism and that made a tremendous difference for me. Hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones who does not experience hunger after surgery. For me that was the best thing that could have happened. It gave me a chance to work on the other parts like my "fat brain" way of thinking.

Good luck to you. I hope you both have uneventful surgeries and easy recoveries.

Blessings,

Kathleen

Hello there! Well, I think that being women, we sometimes carry the weight of the world on our shoulders anyway. I can probably admit to some depression for a good portion of my life. I felt wonderfully happy prior to surgery, and after, I had a few emotional times, and cried for no reason. There are days I do not have to leave the house, but I am thankful I have a husband who recognizes that we need to go out sometimes. We have been traveling since May, and if it were not for being sleeved we would still be sitting......... I can tell you the sleeve will change your life. But not until you are ready. I would suggest if you do not have a significant other, try to find a positive person/friend and get out and about, shopping or doing something, even a walk in the park. I have been cleaning closets and the garage to keep myself up and moving. I am glad you are seeing someone. I really do not have the answers but I want to wish you the best. God Bless. Linda

I've struggled with depression before and after surgery.

I've never struggled with depression before. I think constantly feeling so crappy on this pre-op diet is just wearing me down, emotionally and physically. I feel so fatigued all of the time. It's hard to focus on anything for very long. And just feeling so uncomfortable all of the time is taxing. I would love to feel "normal" for just like one hour! Who knew you could miss "normal" so much?!?!

For me there is a lot of grief related to giving up food. I have Lupus which makes me feel like crap most of the time. So, I used food to make myself feel better. I am three months out post-op. It was very difficult pre-op but post-op you cannot eat most things. There was no joy in eating, actually there was pain. This was a good thing for me. I really needed to break the cycle. Not being able to eat and talking with my therapist helped me through the grief. I still cannot eat much but I am surprised that the pain with eating is mostly gone. I really have to watch because snacking is too easy. Snacking slows done and can halt weight loss. I lost 56 lbs pre- surgery and 41 post. I still have over another hundred to go. One thing that is wonderful about the surgery is that you do not feel hungry. This is helpful. Best wishes