Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone I'm new here! My name is Krystal. Im 25 and I've struggled with my weight my whole life! I've been 140 pounds all the way to 305. I'm tired of the battle of obesity and ready to take charge of my life once and for all. If my body doesn't have the energy and I myself don't have the emotional strength to do it I want to force it to lose weight with medical help. I've heard how hard is it to just push yourself away from the table? Or stop eating when your full. Ones that haven't battled something like this before just doesn't understand! For those that don't mind can you please guide me in the direction I need to take? The type of doctor I need to go to, how to get approved by insurance? And anything else you may think will be helpful for me to know.

If you're on a PC, click on the surgeon search engine and enter your zip code to find surgeons near you. Go to as many seminars as you can to learn more. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

I can't tell you what you should do, but here's what I did....take it for what its worth.

I was tired of my constant battle with my weight....continually getting bigger....year after year. Sure I had dieted in the past and lost weight, actually a lot at times. Then the diet was over and I'd eat myself right back to where I was and then some...several times over and over. ( Thats the history my insurance and doctor's wanted to see....FAILURE at attempts at "regular" dieting. )

My PCP actually suggested I look at WLS, the lapband specifically. He recommended a surgeon, and I scheduled an appointment to attend a seminar. They went over the benefits, risks, rules to be successful, insurance stuff, etc, etc. It was a group thing at a local conference room. After that, I read, and read, and watched videos, and talked to a couple of people who had the procedure. I came to the conculsion that if I ever wanted to live a normal/healthy life, something had to change. WLS was for me!

So I went in to visit with the office staff and surgeon at his office and they went over all the requirements that MY insurace would need. Past history, cormorbidities, etc....all the requirements. MY insurance required a 6 month medically supervised "diet". This was provided through my PCP, via meeting with a nutritionist. I could not miss ANY appointments or the clock would reset to day one. Every month, I'd go to weigh in, talk about what I was eating, exercise plan, etc. All documented and sent off to my insurance after the conclusion of the 6 months ( I think I lost like 10 pounds during this time )

I got denied first time because of some paperwork missing ( and that isn't unusual ). It's just another bump in the road. Resubmitted and I was APPROVED!

Then I met with the surgeon again, we discussed everything again...from the type of band he thought best for me, to pre-op rules/diet, post op instructions, and follow up protocol. He said I would be hearing from his office about a surgery date in the very near future. They called about a week later with a surgery date and told me when I had to start my one week CLEAR liquid diet, and scheduled all my pre-op testing. Did all the pre-op testing in one day at the hospital. Did the psyc exam and my surgery was set.

My surgery recovery was pretty easy compared to what I was expecting....almost no pain. Sure there was a little discomfort, but not bad at all!

I strictly followed my surgeons postop diet...EXACTLY as I was told. One week Clear liquids, One week full liquids, one week mushies, then progress to solids as tolerable.

I'm 5 years postop now, and I haven't had any band caused problems. I've lost about 130 pounds and consider myself very active and healthy now. All I wanted from this surgery was to be normal and healthy. My PCP and surgeon tell me I'm a great success. Not bragging....just letting you know, YOU CAN SUCCEED too.

Best wishes on your decision. Never, ever give up!