Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Week Challenge

I have decided to call myself out and try to challenge myself. I have become sooooo lax of late and it is time to put my foot down, step it up and be proactive. I am at 10 months post op, and I have been stalled in the same 3-5 lbs since June. I am no where near goal and my surgiversary is rapidly approaching. ( At this point I do not expect to reach goal by then, but I do wish to get the scale moving in the right direction again) So....Next Tuesday I start a Personal Fitness Program at my local YMCA. For 6 weeks ( once a week) I get to meet with a trainer to create a work out program that will help me get to my fitness goals. ( we really do not have to go over diet plans, I just need to get back on track with what I am supposed to do) The trainer will monitor my time spent in the gym and what does / does not work for me and will tweak the work out as the weeks go by, so that I achieve the best fitness program available for me. This has been available at the Y ( free to members) since I joined early last year, I was just not in a head space to take advantage of it. If I am 100% honest with myself and everyone else I will tell you I really hate to exercise. I know I need it, I know I should do it. But I seriously have created a phobia around it. Part of that fear is what I will look like in there sweating and panting trying to get fit. It won't be pretty. Yet I can no longer allow my irrational fears of what I may look like to others in that environment to stop me from what I need to do. I am also a little sad about having to fore fit some of my mommy/ daughter time with my girl. She already spends 9 hours a day with a sitter (when not in school) Monday - Friday. I hate the idea of taking her from the sitter to the daycare at the Y for another hour or two. But... I have not been able to achieve enough physical activity to benefit me without doing this. I thought just being able to be more active with my daughter would be enough exercise, but it really isn't. It helped initially, but now my body needs something more intense, more strenuous.

So....I am here to put into writing for all to see that I am doing this to challenge myself. If all of my BP friends and co-sleevers are in the loop then my accountability goes way up. Ultimately I am only accountable to me. But having support, cheerleaders, coaches, drill sergeants or others who may be in the same boat as me ( and want to do something similar) watching me to see what I do then I feel I will be more successful. I hope this next six weeks helps me drop another 22lbs and puts me not only past the 100lbs lost mark, but it will also put me into "one-derland". I really, really want to be there before I hit my 1st surgiversary on 10/21. I would love for you all to push me there, keep me in the game! And I will thank you all for the support!!!

Hi there!

Great job - putting verbs in your sentences! You're doing great - keep your momentum. Don't let guilt get in your way - the few hours you're going to spend away from your daughter while you're at the gym will give you big pay off in a couple of short months. The Jump Start programs at the Y are awesome - they have a lot of different programs, machines, etc. You won't get bored. Give some of their classes a try - don't let your insecurities get in the way.

I recently reconnected with a lifelong friend of mine and she took me to a 5:30 am hot yoga class. I was so worried I woke up at 4:00 am worrying about the class and how I was going to be perceived, not just by my friend, but by others in the class. I went that morning and OMG - what a treat. It was hard. I sweated a lot. It was hot and uncomfortable. I had to take more breaks than anyone else in the class. But you know what? I went again two days later and I'm planning on going again tomorrow. I don't know if I'm going to continue on with it past next week (the hot part of hot yoga may not be for me - I may end up doing yoga), but I'm going to give it a try.

Again, congrats on your commitment - we'll be here along the way! Keep up the great work!

Please add my name to the challenge. My current weight is 263.5.