Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling discouraged

HELP! I'm feeling discouraged with the process of my weight loss and close to loosing my mind. I had my surgery on January 17, 2014...my first fill wasn't until the end of Feb or beginning of March. I have 8cc in my band (not sure what size band I have, I'm afraid to ask cause I'm getting close to 10 cc and then what happens if a 10cc band is what I have) I have only lost 50 lbs so far...one of my questions is, what is "normal" for the amount of pounds lost in a week for a lap band person? I keep thinking that if a non banded person only ate 1200 calories, they would be losing weight faster than I am :( My head is being hard on me right now and telling me I am failing, and made a mistake by having this surgery....who knows, maybe I am/did..... maybe I'm not doing something right. I try to track everything I eat...but sometimes I do forget. I do know that though I'm staying at 1200 calories, I am not getting the amount of Protein I should get and I'm not sure if that would make a difference NOR am I getting in my daily Water as instructed...

Another question is what if it takes 10ccs to get me to lose weight...what happens when I get to my goal and all the sudden 10ccs aren't working anymore..are there any other options?

See I told you my head was messing with me in a big way....

Lap band patients should only expect a 1 to 2lb weight loss per week. It's not a fast process. If you do have a ten cc band and are at 8, once you get to ten you wont be able to get any more fills. I would suggest you speak to your nutritionist and see where in your diet you are. Slow and steady wins the race the slower you lose the longer it will stay off.

50 lbs is very good and better than average. You're about 7 months out and at this rate you could lose 100 lbs by your 1st anniversary. Where would you be without the band? Less or more??

Well, I'm not sure why you're so "discouraged", I lost exactly 50 lbs my 1st 7 months after being banded and I was jumping for joy !!!! Im not sure what you were expecting, but as far as I know 1-2 lbs a week is about average, so that is about 7 lbs a month for you, ( 7×7= 47 lbs) ! Great job ! You're doing great ! Im close to your height ( Im 5'3) but im 9 yrs older and started at 225 lbs. Once I dropped the 1st 50, it did slow down, took me another year to get 15 lbs off, ive been at 160 for quite awhile. I may or may not get to 140, but I'll take a happy, healthy 160 any day ! Hope this helps , good luck and keep up the good work !!

Be happy! You're doing great.

50lbs is pretty fantastic! Congrats!! Nothing to be discourage about there!

Something that really helped me while losing, was not focusing on how far I had to go. I literally took my weightloss 1lb at a time, and was encouraged by every single pound I'd go down! I had to (sometimes constantly) remind myself It's a process, and not always a fast one!

Also, when I found myself discouraged by what the scale said, I'd set nonscale goals and focus on those for awhile. Maybe you could set a goal and focus on getting your Protein in, and drinking your Water.

You're doing great! Keep it up! You've got this!

50 lbs is very good and better than average. You're about 7 months out and at this rate you could lose 100 lbs by your 1st anniversary. Where would you be without the band? Less or more??

2muchfun - thanks for the "wake-up"...you are absolutely right. If not for the band, I would be heavier than I started 7 months ago....I wouldn't be able to walk 2-3 miles a day - shoot 7 months ago I was in so much pain, I could barely make it from my car to my office....so thank you, all of you, for reminding me....it may be a slower weight loss, but it will also be easier to keep off in the long run. AND, I'm much better off today, than I ever was 7 months ago...Thank you...I don't know what I would do without you all...